PDA

View Full Version : USMC Infantry question

Ralph249
07-21-11, 11:25 AM
Hello Marines, i've wanted to be a Marine since i was about 12 years old, i'm 17 now and i'm about to turn 18. I'm physically fit as i've been working out for about 2 years, I'm starting my senior year in High School and i wanted to ask you Marines a question. The only MOS field that im willing to do is Infantry, i'll do any MOS they give me in that field, but i would prefer to be a 311 or 331 . However i heard that this MOS field gets filled out very fast. What steps should i take in order to get a Infantry Contract? And what are my chances of getting one?

03Mike
07-21-11, 12:04 PM
What steps should i take in order to get a Infantry Contract? And what are my chances of getting one?

Talk to a recruiter now - before you start your senior year. MOS quotas are determined for each fiscal year (which begins Oct 1st) and parcelled out over the year.

I'm not a recruiter (and never been on recruiting duty) but getting your contract started now will increase your chances of getting the MOS you want - as you have time on your side.

There are a couple of recruiters who visit this site and they can give you some additional guidance, but NOTHING beats the accuracy and reliability of talking to your local recruiter.

rgoins82
07-21-11, 12:19 PM
I served in the Infantry from 1982 - 1986. I was 0341. "Supergrunt". I was smart, in shape and full of life. I wanted Infantry guaranteed. Now I am 47 years old and I wish everyday that I would have chosen a different MOS. The Infantry is the single most important aspect of the Marine Corps but I had an opportunity to actually train in something that maybe I could use in my young life. I haven't seen one opportunity to use my Mortarman skills since I left the Corps. Bravado is great and if it is what you choose, great! But consider your life and the years down the road. The Corps offers many great fields that you can use in real life...either in the Corps or working for IBM.

hussaf
07-21-11, 12:53 PM
Its true there are a lot of people wanting infantry....but there is also a high turnover rate in infantry as well. So you can get it, if you really want it. Either try to get it early, as recommended above, or be prepared to be patient and not capitulate to your recruiter's insistence you ENLIST NOW at whatever MOS happens to be needed at the time.