PDA

View Full Version : I need help with life outside the Corp

ghector3055
07-21-11, 10:00 AM
Im a 0612 Field Wireman. Im trying to find out what I can doin the civilian world the pertains to my job. If I can't find the answer to that, what kind of jobs are out there for Marines.

Old Marine
07-21-11, 10:20 AM
Might try AT&T. (Although, sometime in the future, land line phones will be history)

Cpl Heglar
07-21-11, 10:23 AM
Go to your local Employment Security Commision. The military have contacts there that will place you front of the line. My agent called me daily to send me to jobs that needed my expertise. Let them know immediately that you are a Marine Veteran with specific job skills and you will find employment.

Phantom Blooper
07-21-11, 11:14 AM
HD TV Comcast....Sprint...Geek for Best Buy.....

Rocky C
07-21-11, 12:30 PM
HD TV Comcast....Sprint...Geek for Best Buy.....

:thumbup:

03Mike
07-21-11, 02:01 PM
Here's my take...

First and foremost, you are an NCO and leader of Marines, and that gives you a leg up in the job market.

What does it mean?

It means:

1. You know how to supervise.
2. You know how to plan.
3. You know how to get stuff done.
4. You know how to take responsibility.
5. You know how to train.

These are, unfortunately, rare qualities in the civilian world.

Case in point - someone gives you a task. You ask a couple of questions about the standards and resources available. You make a quick plan, you assign tasks and standards. You set a timeline. You supervise, you inspect, you complete the task assigned. You report back.

Sounds simple -- and frankly, it is... but many of your civilian peers don't get it.

If I said "Corporal Hector, take this working party and _______" (field day the squad bay, set up these GP tents, get this gear PM'd) -- you'd get it done. The skill isn't scrubbing the floor and emptying trashcans - anyone can do that. The skill is organizing people and getting something done. That's what you need to sell, whether you go to work in something related to your MOS or not.

I used to run several different manufacturing plants, and quite frankly, I gave preference to not only hiring veterans, but hiring former NCOs and I'd put them in as team leads, quality assurance inspectors, inventory controllers -- hell, I could team them the manufacturing / QA / inventory processes / training - but I knew that I had a known quantity in their problem solving and leadership capabilities. I knew that if I asked them "How can we improve this process" that they'd come back with a solution that 99% of the time I'd say "okay, execute it and let me know what support you need."

So, whether it's AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, or any number of computer or security companies - your MOS skills are only part of the package that you need to sell in your job search and interviews.

sparkie
07-21-11, 02:26 PM
Wireman used to mean a pole climber but probly more nowadays. I'd start with a net cabling company and get some I. T. training on the side.

USMC-SSGT
07-21-11, 02:35 PM
12's no longer climb poles. That job has gone to construction wireman which is an 0613.

I had some friends that were 12's who went right back overseas as civi contractors and made pretty respectable money. They ended up doing the exact same job as they were doing overseas before EAS but this time they wore a tank top and cargo shorts while making much more money.

Old Marine
07-21-11, 02:35 PM
TSA, Border Patrol(heaven knows they can use all the help they can get) Knowledge of Spanish is a plus.

Old Marine
07-21-11, 02:38 PM
12's no longer climb poles. That job has gone to construction wireman which is an 0613.

I had some friends that were 12's who went right back overseas as civi contractors and made pretty respectable money. They ended up doing the exact same job as they were doing overseas before EAS but this time they wore a tank top and cargo shorts while making much more money.

With or without being shot at?

Otter5
07-21-11, 06:33 PM
Uncle Sams Misguided Childre, from what I recall ,we were called by a presendints wife "Underpaid Underprivialed Oversexed Teenage Killers" but then that`s jus what I heard

Phantom Blooper
07-21-11, 09:27 PM
You an be a wireman for the county!:p

Old Marine
07-21-11, 09:38 PM
You an be a wireman for the county!:p

Saw ole Glen the other night in a movie on TV. The guy is really looking pretty old these days. Even with the make-up.

Riven37
07-22-11, 04:52 AM
What I would beside applying at all your local Cable Companies and Phone Company is to go back to school add Computer background and head to Microsoft they are looking. I know its tough even tougher for re-tureens from the war’s but it going to get worse before it gets better. AS Chesty once said “Be your our Marine Corps.”

ZSKI
07-22-11, 10:02 AM
http://helmetstohardhats.org/ this program is outstanding, will help u get certified and even help u get set up with the union. I did it when i came back from Iraq found out had enough logged hours to be a journeymen in the brotherhood of engineering operators. All i had to do was test out on gear. Good luck Marine and never forget about your other resources such as military one source, they will set you up with other military programs that slip my mind at this current time.There is also usually military job expos in the area as well. Also take advantage of resume writing tools because that is honestly one of the most important things in getting a job.

TunTvrnWarrior
07-22-11, 10:35 AM
usajobs.gov is a good resource as well.

sparkie
07-23-11, 07:19 PM
Helmets to hardhats is union crap. Sorry,,,I'm tainted.

guitaryf
08-13-11, 10:50 PM
Thank you for sharing . The post growth of my knowledge

Coach outlet (http://www.outlethandbagsforsale.com)Coach Handbags (http://www.perfectoutlet.net) CoCo Chanel (http://www.canyinxc.net)

TunTvrnWarrior
08-14-11, 12:21 AM
Thanks for spamming dumbass. :evilgrin:

jamielang1951
08-14-11, 01:58 AM
AT&T is still a good choice. Even though landline phones are becoming a thing of the past, they will still have DSL. I have no LL phone but I have AT&T DSL.

fl1946
08-20-11, 10:33 PM
Going back to school is an EXCELLENT option especially when Uncle Sam is paying for most of your tuition. It may not appear to be an immediate benefit, but as you go up the career ladder you will definitely be competing with college graduates. All things considered, they will be selected over non-college candidates. Take this advice from someone who's been in the corporate world as a co-founder and CEO of a national healthcare company.

Good luck and Semper Fi.

Kenneth Havelka
08-21-11, 10:36 AM
A Marine N.C.O. is a great prospect for any job on the outside.Follow the advice on this page,you'll do fine.
S/F

Warbyrd13
08-28-11, 01:27 PM
Make sure you apply for unemployment. Get with your Vet rep at the Job and family resource. Look into talking to a caree cousenalor to what jobs would suit you the most. Get you GI Bill paper work ready.

There is a long list of stuff you need to do. Get a copy of your military training records an see what jobs you can get in the civy world. From there see how your training crosses over in those fields an ask yourself what you want to do until your 55.

Basicaly evualte what you want to do an make a plan. if you need more help please ask.