PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Cobb - Gets Medals After 60 Years

marinemom
10-24-03, 09:34 PM
Marine receives medals 60 years overdue

By JIM DOSSETT

LaFollette Press Reporter

Sun splashed off the concrete platform surrounding the Veterans’ Memorial at the Campbell County Courthouse.

Even the lawn shone with a green-gold luminescence as flags popped in the gusty morning breeze.

But the most dazzling radiance on that brilliant October morning sprang from Corporal Hobart Cobb’s smile – and his heart.

After nearly 60 years, Cobb, outfitted in full Marine dress uniform, was about to receive the medals he earned in one of the bloodiest battles in the South Pacific.

It was on the island of Peleiu that the 18-year-old Marine fended off hordes of suicidal Japanese on "Hill 600."

"We ran out of ammo. Behind us were cliffs with 150-foot dropoffs. We had nowhere to go.

"We fought with empty ammo and ration boxes, rocks, coral bayonets, bare fists," said Cobb, in a previous article in the LaFollette Press.

Fortunately for Cobb, Dean Buderer, of Elk Valley read that article.

Buderer, who served in Korea with the 2nd Airborne was moved by Cobb’s bravery and the fact that he didn’t have all of the medals he so richly deserved.

"He was one bad dude – serving and defending our country – making it possible for us to live the way we do today," said Buderer, who arranged for members of the Campbell County Honor Guard to present a Marine Corps flag to Cobb in a ceremony back in May of this year.

But, in his mind, Buderer wasn’t finished with his "mission."

According to Buderer, after some research, he discovered that Cobb’s records were destroyed in a fire.

"There were fragments of records, but most were gone," he said.

"I got in contact with my son-in-law [who is a career soldier] and together we reconstructed Hobart’s service career.

"He [Cobb] helped too. His memory is phenomenal – he knew times, dates, places that most people would have forgotten," said Buderer.

Buderer said that after much research, Cobb’s service time and actions were fully chronicled.

And finally, after an order was signed by a Naval Commander, the medals were made ready for presentation to Cobb at last Saturday’s ceremony.

In addition to a full honor guard, and Cobb’s family, there were local dignitaries on hand to honor the hero.

Bob Andreas, veterans’ service officer for the county, coordinated the event.

After a prayer by Ozell Bunch, an Air Force Veteran and Pastor of the Cleveland Assembly Church of God, County Executive, Jerry Cross, a veteran of the Viet Nam war, made the presentation of the medals to Cobb.

Later, the emotional Cobb read off a list, thanking a number of people, (including Buderer and the LaFollette Press) for helping him obtain the long-awaited medals, which included:

Later, in a phone conversation, Buderer seemed humble in response to Cobb’s gratitude.

"My goal was to get the Marine Corps flag and the medals for Hobart – mission accomplished – objective achieved," he said, with a twinge of emotion in his voice.

JAMarine
10-24-03, 10:08 PM
Here's to you Mr. Cobb.

I look so much forward to meeting you and your wife this next month.

I don't have to tell you how much you mean to me and Laurie and to all of us.

Sempers My Friend.

CAS3
10-24-03, 10:50 PM
Rich,
Is that OUR Mr. Cobb?

thedrifter
10-24-03, 10:52 PM
A Toast to Mr Cobb......

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

richgitz
10-25-03, 05:49 AM
I SALUTE you Mr Cobb for your service to our Country. God bless
you. SEMPER-FI MARINE.

leroy8541
10-25-03, 07:57 AM
Yes, a toast to Mr. Cobb!! Semper Fi Marine!!

yellowwing
06-03-07, 10:46 AM
In many a strife we've fought for life, and never lost our nerve!

Here's health to you and to Our Corps, Sir!

jinelson
06-03-07, 10:57 AM
Mr Cobb was very proud of this shadow box his daughter put together for his medals.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/HobertCobbUSMC.jpg

Dave Coup
06-04-07, 10:59 AM
As I told him when I met him on this site, it was guys like him that I grew up reading about that made me want to join the Marine Corps. I couldn't have had better heroes and role models to look up to. Semper Fidelis Marine. Rest in Peace.

Dave Coup