PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the Helos in the Airwing

Allenl0968
07-19-11, 09:31 PM
Good Evening Marines,
I am a Poolee and ship in December. I have an AG contract. I would just like to get some comparison on the different helicopters in the Air Wing. I would love to be a Crew Cheif on a helo. I have a few questions.

Which helicopter are you on?
Is this the helo you wanted to be on?
What is the primary function of the helo your on? (Is it a heavy lifter or is primarily used to for moving Marines)

If you can think of anything else that can help compare the helos, please include it. I know I am thinking ahead. My main focus is earning the title. I was just trying to compare the helos. I also understand that which helicopter you receive orders to is based on the needs of the Corps and what is available, but thought it would be interesting to here the about the different helicopters from the people who work on them.

Thanks for everyones input. I check this site everyday to continue learning about the Corps. I have learned more in the few months on this one site than I have on the whole internet. Thanks again.

P.S. If this has already been covered, please let me know. I searched and didn't come up with a comparison. Found alot about crew chiefs but not the helos.

SGTBedbury
07-21-11, 02:59 PM
AG is that open contract Aviation??

Allenl0968
07-21-11, 03:17 PM
AG is that open contract Aviation??

AG is Enlisted Aircrew job field contract which encompasses Crew Chief/Aerial Gunner/Loadmaster/Flight Engineer/Flight Mechanic.

MGySgtSki
07-22-11, 03:58 AM
Can't speak for the crew chief perspective, but the Huey (UH-1_) is the best jump of them all.......if that makes any difference.

Yonkers
07-23-11, 06:23 AM
Can't speak for the crew chief perspective, but the Huey (UH-1_) is the best jump of them all.......if that makes any difference.

Bein a mech for them, I'll go with this. ^

And crew chief is what I wanted to go with at first, but you need to have swim qual 2 etc... I got in as an AF contract too.. Don't know if AG is what you're looking for but eh... could be??

Allenl0968
07-23-11, 02:09 PM
Bein a mech for them, I'll go with this. ^

And crew chief is what I wanted to go with at first, but you need to have swim qual 2 etc... I got in as an AF contract too.. Don't know if AG is what you're looking for but eh... could be??

From what the recruiter has told me and the other Marines on here have told me that AG contract is those jobs I I listed and that Crew Chief was one of them.

ds11
10-16-11, 11:33 PM
Hey Allen,

I know it's been a while since this thread has been posted in but hoping you're still around and active with it here is some advice and knowledge. I went in as an AG contract. You are correct with the designations. If you do that, straight out of Boot and MCT you will be going to NAS Pensacola where you will be attending the Naval Aircrew Candidate School. That is where you will be getting your swim quals. It is alot of fun and good training. You may have to wait many months to up and start the actual training which stinks but oh well. After you complete that training you put a preference of what platform you want to be on. Ospreys (22s), Hueys (UH-1Y), Phrogs (46s), and Sh*tters (53s)...or fixed wing C130s if your vision is bleh.

Now when it came down to who got what they wanted out of the class they went by PFT score due to the school being alot about PT in Pensacola. I picked CH-53s but didn't get them due to lack of orders for them. My next pick was Hueys so that's what I ended up with. Now when it comes to the differences in them it's all up to you. If you want to see combat and gun down some buttheads and do some crazy high speed flying go for the Hueys. If you want to deal with cargo and also possibly do some humanitarian stuff, 46s and 53s do alot of that, but also troop transport is big on them as well. Recon uses the 46s alot. I don't know too much about what 22s missions are like. Hopefully this information helps you. Good luck!

D

Yonkers
10-17-11, 03:11 AM
[QUOTE=Allenl0968;791471]Good Evening Marines,
I am a Poolee and ship in December. I have an AG contract. I would just like to get some comparison on the different helicopters in the Air Wing. I would love to be a Crew Cheif on a helo. I have a few questions.

Which helicopter are you on? Hueys n cobras
Is this the helo you wanted to be on? Yup
What is the primary function of the helo your on? (Is it a heavy lifter or is primarily used to for moving Marines) moving and killing

Sorry im not on my phone and cant properly format this, but the main dif to me, being a mech... My MOS promotes... When the other powerplants mech are terminal lances

Also, AF is the contract i signed for.. Its basic mech then u opt for crew chief.. I cant swim good enuf, 3rd swim qual.

Yonkers
10-17-11, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=Allenl0968;791471]Good Evening Marines,
I am a Poolee and ship in December. I have an AG contract. I would just like to get some comparison on the different helicopters in the Air Wing. I would love to be a Crew Cheif on a helo. I

Disregard! I misread
Also, AF is the contract i signed for.. Its basic mech then u opt for crew chief.. I cant swim good enuf, 3rd swim qual.

Disregard!! Sry i misread your post