PDA

View Full Version : Supply vs. Logistics?

McF4DDEN
07-19-11, 02:16 PM
Hi, I've looked at the About.com descriptions of both and I am still kind of confused as to what the difference between the two are. I would really appreciate some insight into this. Also, if you could give me some day-to-day type differences between the two and what a Supply Marine does compared to what a Logistics Marine does. Thank you in advance!

hbharrison
07-19-11, 02:49 PM
Supply make certain everything Marines need are there and ready to be issued out. Logistics is the planing of how one gets all those supplies to the Marine who need them when they need them. Now day to day one is going to be doing inventory on supplies the other is going to be on how to ship those supplies Marines. That is as simple as I know how to say it. Now can both be boring at times, yes, can both be very hecktic at times, yes. Both must work together very close and without both the Marines in the field won't have what they need when they need it.

awbrown1462
07-19-11, 02:55 PM
as an old supply Marine all I can say is well said

Phantom Blooper
07-19-11, 03:02 PM
Supply...Issues.....

Logistics....Takes care of....

But the above posts are excellent!

YLDNDN6
07-19-11, 03:38 PM
If you were to compare it to something in the civilian world, it would be similar to the fellas at the Sears warehouse (supply, or where all the goodies are kept) restocking their stores by shipping orders out to various stores. The planning and act of actually getting the stuff to the stores by plane, train or truck is the logistics portion of the equation. Either field is crucial to operations.

Lisa 23
07-19-11, 04:07 PM
Also, I believe Supply & Logistics has been covered before. You may want to do a search on the site.