PDA

View Full Version : After Afghanistan

Riley67f
07-19-11, 01:38 PM
What are the prospects for the intelligence field after the war? I'm considering either 0231 or 267x and will be enlisting in a few months. I don't imagine much would change for 0231's, but part of the appeal of 267x is that it's a very technical job that can also take you outside the wire as well, and they supposedly do "cool things". While I don't plan on staying in for just one enlistment, both translate pretty well into the civilian world so my question is: what are some advantages/disadvantages of 267x over 0231 (and vice versa) in the post war Marines? Would the focus on the Pacific play a role in what either MOS does? Thanks ahead of time.

haebyungdae
07-19-11, 07:11 PM
There is always stuff to be done whether you are a 0200 or 2600 Marine.

Also, you can't consider either 0231 or 267X against each other. You have to weigh 0200/2600 (Intel option) against 267X (Linguist guaranteed). You can not be guaranteed 0231.

hussaf
07-19-11, 11:18 PM
If you are looking at post-Marine Corps opportunities, language skills are always going to be desirable in a variety of job markets.

Sgt0231
07-21-11, 01:15 PM
What are the prospects for the intelligence field after the war? I'm considering either 0231 or 267x and will be enlisting in a few months. I don't imagine much would change for 0231's, but part of the appeal of 267x is that it's a very technical job that can also take you outside the wire as well, and they supposedly do "cool things". While I don't plan on staying in for just one enlistment, both translate pretty well into the civilian world so my question is: what are some advantages/disadvantages of 267x over 0231 (and vice versa) in the post war Marines? Would the focus on the Pacific play a role in what either MOS does? Thanks ahead of time.

Intelligence is always needed. Also, Intelligence can also bring you "outside the wire", Ive known plenty of 31s who have been out with the grunts getting the Intel. Careers in the intelligence field after the Corps are plentiful as long as you have the training and experience needed. I cant speak for 267x but I'm currently an 0231 and my husband was also. He can speak really well on the civilian life after the Corps. His name on here is 0231Marine. He's currently a contractor in Baghdad and has 4 deployments as a Marine out with the grunt units.

Riley67f
07-22-11, 12:26 PM
You're 0231Marine's wife? I've read some posts of his, and that Marine is an example worth following. He made a (very thorough) thread about life as an 0231 Marine based on his experience, but what has been your experience, if you don't mind my asking? He made it clear in that thread that his experience wasn't "typical" and I got the idea that this is a very initiative driven MOS. I apply myself 100% and work hard both in school and at work. As a result I have had plenty of success in both, and I plan to do the same in the Marine Corps. What would be the best case scenario for an 0231 career (i.e graduating at the top of your class, choosing the best assignment, etc.)? I'm not going to plan my career on the assumption that I WILL be the top grad and get a sexy assignment right after MOS school, but what ARE the perks of being the top grad and what ARE the best assignments possible right out of MOS school? Something to strive for.