PDA

View Full Version : Question on OMPF/PES

civgrunt05
07-19-11, 10:34 AM
When looking at your OMPF under the MBS tab, there is a link for the PES MBS. Within that file, it breaks down all of your fitreps.

Can some one provide clarification as to the meaning of the following columns in that file under RS Markings.
RPT Avg
RS Avg
RS High
RPT at High
RV at Proc
Cum RV

Then under RO markings:
It has boxes around fractions like 23/4, 2/3, etc. What does that mean.

Thanks fellas.

hussaf
07-19-11, 11:30 AM
By the username civgrunt, I am guessing you are a reservist? I would suggest you suggest during your next drill period that your 1stSgt, or someone with knowledge, gives the Sgts + in your platoon a class on FITREPs, and OMPF. Its important for everyone to know this stuff, in my opinon. Anyway, I'll open up mine to see if I can remember anyhting from the OMPF class I got a little while back:

Okay, so we'll start left to right. Your occasion code, rank, mos, and dates are all self-explanitory, right? 'Months" is the reporting period and 'com/adv' or comendatory and adverse FITREPS. If you have a comendatory one, thee will be an X in that box, typicall meaning you recieved a personal award during that reporting period. This should reflect in the Awards box at the top of the screen near your bio data. If its not, then you need to submit those awards to OMPF, even ones you recieved as a non-NCO might need to be resubmitted for their records as MOL and OMPF do not always 'talk' with each other.

Moving to the RIGHT, you see your RS and his "Reports" block. This identifies your ranking in the FITREPs he's done at your rank. Under the Reporting Senior Remarks block, there is the top row with the small squares. This is a quick reference for your perosonal rankings, by your RS, for the associated sections of that FITREP...ie efficiency, initiative, leadership, etc....and your ranking of A, B, C, D, etc. Alright, just below that, you have the Rpt Avg and the RS avg. The Rpt Ave, should be a whole and decimal number combo, represents your average score in that area. The RS avg represents the average grade given by that reporting senior. For example, if your RPT Avg is 4.34 and the RS Avg is 3.89 then you are above the average score given by your RS. RS high, is the highest score given by the RS for that grading period. As a matter of fact, these are all relative to that specific grading period, I think. So if you score 4.99 and the RS high os 4.99, then you've got the highest rated FITREP of your peer group for the reporting period.

Next is 'RPT at High' block. I don't really remember what that is for, I think it might be how many reports were rated higher than yours...but don't take my word on that.

The next two blocks are 'RV at Proc' and 'Cum Rv' block. If memory serves, the "RV at Proc' is your overall ranking at the time your FITREP was graded, and the 'Cum RV' block is a living rating of your overall score, against your RS's future gradings. FITREPs are graded on your RS's average scoring scale. This is done to keep things fair, as some RSs score on a different scale than others (because the scoring level is up to the RS's interpretation to a certain degree). For example, I had a FITREP that was a RV at Proc of 97.55 and CUM RV of 97.52. Basically this means when my FITREP was published, I was in the 97.55 percentile, but since then the RS has given more people higher grades so my avg, in comparison to my peers, has dropped slightly to 97.52 percentile (of my peers).

Reviewing officer remarks, the last block, is basically a numberized system made of the "Christmas Tree" at the end of your FITREP. The one thing an RO does other than sign his name and copy-paste the RS's remarks. There should be 8 levels on the Christmas Tree on your FITREP...so read those scores, from left to right, as lowest to highest. The two rows on the MBS should be very similar, however, like the RPT Avg and RV Cum, the top row is your score when your FITREP was published, and the bottom score is the current average, taking into account FITREPs done by your RS in the time since your's was published. Again, its a living number and updates everytime your RS pubslishes a FITREP in your grade. For example, i have a FITREP that I was put on the 6th level of the Christmas tree, the third level from the top. At the time of processing I was "20/6" or the 6th highest rated report bracket out of 8 scales on the Christmas tree (8 is the highest it goes). So I was in the 6th bracket, with 20 other Marines, from that RS, at the time of publishing. On the bottom row I have "22/6" with a box around this number. That means, since the time of my FITREP, the RS has graded two more FITREPs in the same bracket of the Christmas Tree.

Clear anything up, or more confusing? Let me know if you have futher questions. I am in no way a SME on this, so i could be mistaken on something, but this is what I remember.

civgrunt05
07-19-11, 02:24 PM
Thanks for that info, it clears a lot up.

However, when I bring it all together it doesn't seem to make sense.

IE:
Despite being billeted above my grade, my RPT Avg is lower than the RS Avg on both of my fitreps, with one of those fitreps being commendatory.

My RPT at High number is "1" for both of my fitreps (though I know you said that you weren't 100% sure of that.)

My Cum RV is in the 90th precentile. Is that good or bad? Does that mean I'm above 90% of my peers or below 90% of my peers.

Both fitreps recommend promotion.

Also, on the three for my latest fitrep under the RO Markings it has me 2/3. My last was a a 23/4, so I dropped on the tree despite my RPT Avg being a decent bit higher.

Individually I understand what you are saying, but when I combine the different points of data things don't seem consistent, especially since I'm understanding it to mean that I'm below average despite being billeted above most the other sergeants.

Thanks again.

Zulu 36
07-19-11, 02:47 PM
My Cum RV is in the 90th precentile. Is that good or bad? Does that mean I'm above 90% of my peers or below 90% of my peers.

Usually, in statistics, being in the 90th percentile means you are above 90% of your peers.

hussaf
07-19-11, 04:38 PM
I was told being somewhere in the 90's is where you want to be.

I maybe was unclear on the christmas tree ratings:
2/3 would mean you are one of two guys in the third level of the Christmas Tree...as in third from the bottom. 23/4 means you have moved up a level on the Christmas tree, with 23 other people on that rating. I remember what they say, but it goes from 1 to 8, lowest to highest. Generally speaking, if you are a new Sarge, you want you FITREPs to start somewhat low, and steadily progress along with TIG. You definitely want a Combat FITREP to be higher than a CONUS one...or if you are a reservist, you want your AT FITREP to be higher than your AR FITREP (you rate an AT FITREP for reserve training, btw. If you command doesn't have you do that its because they are unaware of that fact, or lazy...ATs are the only "eyes on" your command gets of you throughout the year, as you spend drills mostly playing catchup with admin, medical, and greenside training). But I digress... hey man, I could be wrong...I would ask your command to provide a no-kidding class on the subject as I have no affiliation with career council or admin.

hussaf
07-19-11, 04:46 PM
...sorry for the typos, not letting me edit it.

haebyungdae
07-19-11, 07:03 PM
Despite being billeted above my grade, my RPT Avg is lower than the RS Avg on both of my fitreps, with one of those fitreps being commendatory.

Just because you are in a billet beyond your grade does not mean you will get an awesome fitrep. Same thing for commendatory. I can be a dirtbag and get horrible marks, but just as long as I can scam receiving a LOA, my fitrep is commendatory. You can also have a commendatory but adverse fitrep lol. I am not implying you are a dirtbag, just for the sake of the question lol

My RPT at High number is "1" for both of my fitreps (though I know you said that you weren't 100% sure of that.)

The Rpt at High number has nothing to do with you unless your fitrep received your RS's highest marks ever. Which in that case, your Rpt Avg and your RS's RS High would be matching and your RV at proc would be 100 (mostly like the Cum RV also would be 100).

This does not mean the 90th percentile. An RV of 90 means that you are average among all the Marines that your RS has given fitreps to. A score of 80 means you are rock bottom and 100 means that you received your RS's highest fitrep marks ever. Your RV at PROC will always stay the same, but the Cum RV can go up or down as your RS gives more fitreps.

Both fitreps recommend promotion.

This is a stock phrase put in most every fitrep, unless you majorly mess up (do not recommend) or are super awesome (recommend accelerated).

Also, on the three for my latest fitrep under the RO Markings it has me 2/3. My last was a a 23/4, so I dropped on the tree despite my RPT Avg being a decent bit higher.

Had the same deal once too, never understood it.

Individually I understand what you are saying, but when I combine the different points of data things don't seem consistent, especially since I'm understanding it to mean that I'm below average despite being billeted above most the other sergeants.

This is something you should bring up to your RS, via the CoC. He should be counseling you on his marks for your fitrep before he sends it up to your RO. He should also gives you the chance to argue logically as to why you think you deserve marks different to that which he/she gave you.

haebyungdae
07-19-11, 07:17 PM
Since you have questions and are confused about this it is almost guaranteed that other Sgts are too and Cpls probably know nothing about this. Maybe take the initiative to talk to your 1Sgt and/or SgtMaj and maybe work out getting an NCO PME on fitreps, that'll make you look better and should at least get you a mark up on (moral) courage.

civgrunt05
07-19-11, 09:35 PM
Alright fellas, thanks for the help.

I bounced all of this off my Plt Cdr (a SNCO) and he said that he talked to the XO (my RS) and that he will give me some counsel on it. He was kind of taken aback by all of it too.

For what it's worth, looking at the 0/1, 0/2, 2/3, 8/4, etc thing, I actually was christmas treed tied for last out of 21 Sergeants. I'm not going to toot my own horn here, but to put it in perspective, I was the first reserve side meritorious Sgt. my unit had given in the years that I had been there. Further, it's kind of understood 'round these parts that I do a good job -- in fact the I&I usually just laid the ground work for what training needed to be done and just pushed my "go" button, so the idea of being dead ass last on the tree kinda feels like a kick in the nuts.

I also noticed from looking at the "in process tree breakout" section of the PES MBS and then the "final settlement breakout" that mine was one of the last two fitreps that got put on the tree. Myself and the other poor bastard were the only two "3 spots" on the tree, and the other 19 were all higher.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm on AD right now so hopefully I'll have the opportunity to get things straight/have my head around it before the next MROW.

S/F

hussaf
07-19-11, 11:03 PM
Yeah, you have to keep on that crap...no one else will. You rate monthly 'sit downs' with your RS, and you should hold them to that so you know where you can stand: what you are doing right, and what you need to correct. I can tell you, I've got some really odd FITREPs...a lot of RS and ROs are deficient in the Mystical Art of FITREPs.