PDA

View Full Version : Hunting For Deployment

Darkhorse35
07-19-11, 09:34 AM
Marines,

Need a bit of help here -- I'm an 0311 who completed active duty from Jan 2006 to Jan 2010 (3/5 India Company), and am currently in the SMCR with 14th Marines in Ft Worth, TX.

What I'm looking to do is deploy to Afghanistan in a combat role, plain and simple. However, it appears that doing so is a federal case, and takes nothing less than presidential approval before moving forward. I've been bounced from the Prior Service recruiter to the MOS monitor to the Career Planner, and they keep pointing fingers back at each other.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm not a turd. Got plenty of good references from previous commanders and only high 1st classes on all annual training requirements.

Any ideas on what I can try next? All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, motivators.

--Sgt Ski

03Mike
07-19-11, 11:51 AM
Try contacting MARFORRES - there are (used to be, at any rate) Marines assigned to finding SMCR and IRR augmentees for active duty - usually operating under ADSW orders.

87davey
07-19-11, 12:10 PM
Typically, with reservists, You have to go through your chain of command- that is, you have to get approval from the CO to be placed on an augment list. Once on that list, any deploying unit looking for extra Marines can pick you. Usually they take your MOS into consideration, but not always- Putting yourself on the augment list can put you into the thick of it in Afghanistan, or at a desk in Al Asad Iraq. It all depends on what unit picks you and their mission. It also needs to get approved through your OIC and SNCOIC, so if they don't want you to go, you won't go. If you are essential to training on drill weekends, you are not going; I was supposed to deploy, until everyone above me in my MOS did a PCS and now I'm stuck here for being 'mission essential'... Hope that sheds some light for you.

Apache
07-19-11, 02:18 PM
Use your chain of command,start requesting mast
Can't guarantee the answer you want but can guarantee you will be heard

thediesel713
07-19-11, 05:29 PM
https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page/portal/M_RA_HOME/MM/zz_FAC/VOL_TABS

Route an AA form through your COC requesting to deploy in support of OEF. Worked for me.

Darkhorse35
07-19-11, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info, gents. I'll keep you updated on the progress or if any developments occur.