PDA

View Full Version : What's it like for an "old recruit"?

ryangassxx
07-18-11, 06:29 PM
In case anyone isn't following my other thread, I've decided to join the Marines at the ripe age of 27. Am I completely nuts? Can I expect to just completely stick out like a sore thumb among a bunch of 19-21 year old kids? Are there maybe some advantages to going through boot camp slightly older and a little wiser? Disadvantages? Can I pretty much be guaranteed to be the only older recruit?

I'd REALLY like to hear some input on this.

If you want to know why I decided to join I'll tell you all about it as well, but I'd really like to get some input on this question first and foremost.

Thanks!

Lisa 23
07-18-11, 07:12 PM
Try doing a search on the site.....this has been covered many times before.

ryangassxx
07-18-11, 07:22 PM
Try doing a search on the site.....this has been covered many times before.

My apologies. I actually did, and with no success. I searched things like "old recruit" and yielded no results.

Tookie22
07-18-11, 07:45 PM
You wont be the only old recruit. You might stick out a little bit considering the Sgts and SNCOs might be younger than you but its bootcamp everyone sticks out at some points. Advantages younger recruits might look up to you if you have you $h!t together. Disadvantage- you're old so you'll probably break your hip, have arthritis, or alzheimers :p. You'll be fine

chulaivet1966
07-18-11, 08:23 PM
I'd REALLY like to hear some input on this.

This has been posted before and I chimed in but can't find it.

Here's my 'input'...
IMO....you have much more to concern yourself with and focus on if your truly serious about making this decision now....which I am not convinced of.
Sure, your older...so what.
That gives you an opportunity to set a good example among all your fellow recruits should you be a candidate for boot camp.
Talk with your recruiter about how to prepare, lose the weight, get on a conditioning program....etc.

That's my take on it.....good luck..:beer:

Tennessee Top
07-18-11, 08:24 PM
I was at Parris Island last month. During his talk, the Commanding General said the average age of the DI's is 26 so, you'll be about the same age as them. You'll probably be called "Papaw" or "Old Man" but as long as you can train you shouldn't be harrassed anymore than anybody else. If you can't keep up on runs or the other stuff then stand by.

When I was at bootcamp we had older recruits in our platoon but me personally I didn't really notice them that much...I was in survival mode.

micarr57
07-18-11, 08:54 PM
i went to boot at 17 about kicked my ass if you think you can do the training go for it
at 27 you will not get any slack cut or any special treatment good or bad
do the training do your best and you may make it thru

Sgt Leprechaun
07-18-11, 09:14 PM
If you search for 'older' or 'old' you'll likely get more hits. You might also even try searching using just your age as in "25 year old recruit".

Prwalker
07-19-11, 01:01 AM
i went to bootcamp at 24.. you'll get messed with, called the grand old man of the Marine, old, etc. etc. Like said above if your PT is sh!@ then stand the f&$K by. Youll stand out but turn it into a positive. Show them you know your knowledge and can pt. They will put you in a leadership position because your old (take advantage of it). I came out of ITB as a meritorious lance. You'll be with 17-20 year olds they will be immature, have fun but dont get caught up in stupid stuff....

SGTBedbury
07-19-11, 01:26 PM
I had a recruit with me in boot camp who was 32 years old and going in as a reservist. He was a lawyer but always wanted to be a Marine so he got in just in time. Of course they called him grandpa and old man etc...but in boot camp everyone gets a nickname eventually. He was one of the toughest people I had ever met. He completed most of the crucible including the reaper (West Coast) with a sprained ankle. He wasnt even able to walk back to the barracks on his own and we had to help him it was so bad. When we got done the corpsman was looking everyone over and found his now severly sprained ankle. They tried to drop him because of it, but our SDI was so impressed that someone especially his age was able to complete it with a bad injury, he fought and kept him in the platoon. He even graduated with us on time. Im here to tell you it can be done. You just have to want it bad enough and never give up. Good luck.