PDA

View Full Version : Trouble figuring out the right MOS for me.

Rockyd2
07-18-11, 04:19 PM
Hello Marines. I am signing my contract for the Marines August 25th, when I turn 17. But the problem seems to be my age. I want to be Military Police but in the MOS requirements, it says you have to be 19 by the time you grad MP school in order to qualify. Taking in account i'll be turning 18 during Bootcamp, there is no possible way i'll be 19 in time. I'm really interested in something that will be able to help me transition into law enforcement after the Marines. I've also considered Small Arms Technicians, considering I like guns. Can anyone give me a general idea of what would be good for me?

Lisa 23
07-18-11, 04:38 PM
By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000505----000-.html)), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent).

Do a search on the site, as it was suggested in your original topic in Open Squad Bay.

Tookie22
07-18-11, 04:48 PM
well if you dont meet the minimum age by graduation time then you cant do simple enough. Either wait or be an armorer. That is up to you. I cant give you a general idea I dont know you and dont know the type of person you truly are and NOBODY else on this site will either. You want to pull over and give tickets or check IDs at the gate (there is more to it than that) or do you want to work on small arms know the ins and outs and fix some stuff plus hand out weapons from the armory (more to that as well)

Zulu 36
07-18-11, 04:59 PM
Any Marine MOS will only help you if you want to be a police officer. None will hurt you. A police department isn't necessarily looking for a fully trained and experienced officer (although they'll take 'em if they can get 'em).

They're looking for a trainable, self-motivated, self-disciplined, decisive, person who can work as an individual or as a member of a team, require minimal supervision, and know how to follow rules. Marines from any MOS tend to fill those job requirements rather well.

Rockyd2
07-18-11, 05:28 PM
Thank you everyone, but are there any MOS' that are related to law enforcement? I'm having trouble searching through them.

thewookie
07-18-11, 05:53 PM
Yo Rocky - let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/43ks4bj)

Good luck.

Zulu 36
07-18-11, 05:53 PM
Thank you everyone, but are there any MOS' that are related to law enforcement? I'm having trouble searching through them.

Oy. They all are, I just explained that. I know what police departments want - I'm a retired deputy police chief. Guess who recommended hiring?

Let's do this: Graduate from HS, graduate from boot camp, graduate from MCT, graduate from your MOS school (whatever it is), and go to the fleet. After that you can start worrying about getting a job in civilian law enforcement. One step at a time.

Rockyd2
07-18-11, 06:57 PM
Thank you very much.