PDA

View Full Version : MOS Issue

cth213
07-17-11, 06:06 PM
I leave Sept 19th 2011 for bootcamp, I have already swore in and been to meps, my 3 MOS choices were MP, Infantry, and SF...turns out Motor t was the only slot open for me so I took it instead of going open contract...If thats the only MOS that is going to make me a Marine I will suck it up but Id rather not have that MOS no offense to any Marines with that MOS I just never been interested in doing that sort of thing, is there any way I can get the 3 MOS choices I picked before I ship, or is there any way they will let me tryout for recon or something.
Thank you

YLDNDN6
07-18-11, 09:41 AM
Toby: Your recruiter would put you into one of your dream jobs if it were available. Unfortunately, availability of a lot of jobs in the Corps is pretty slim. When the dream sheet jobs are not available, your recruiter has to sell you on taking one of the available jobs that you qualify for. It's called filling the needs of the Marine Corps, and it happens daily. If at all possible, have your recruiter watch for availability of your dream sheet jobs between now and when you ship. It's possible that some poolee somewhere has a contract for one of those jobs and will get shot down for some reason, making the job available again. Keep your chin up and if it doesn't work out, take what you can get and make the most of it. There is no such thing as a job not worth doing. Carry on.

SSgtRSD
07-18-11, 03:52 PM
Very good advice...Well said

iamspartacus
07-18-11, 03:59 PM
I'm not a recruiter, so I can't give any advice about getting a different contract, but I will give you some advice if you end up sticking with Motor T. Don't worry too much about it. I realize Motor T may not be that interesting to you. But there are a lot of things you will be doing throughout your Marine Corps career. And the opportunities to do other things are endless. It's not like you're going to be turning wrenches every day of your Marine Corps career. Are you going to have some crappy weeks on end? Sure. Are you even going to have to suck it up for a crappy tour for a couple years somewhere you don't want to be? Probably... but everyone does. But it's not going to last for 20 years. You're going to go to boot camp, MCT and MOS school. Then you may be turning wrenches under the hot sun for a couple years. But then before you know it you pin on Cpl and Sgt, and lead Marines from an office. Then on your second tour maybe you go do MSG duty, recruiting duty or Drill instructor duty. And for the next 4 years the closest thing to motor T you're doing is filling up your POV at the gas station on your way to your B-billet job. After that you come back as a SNCOIC and you get some kick ass orders to somewhere cool and take over as a Motor T chief. A few years after that maybe you pick up Gunny or MSgt and you go back to work in the school house you graduated from 15 years ago. Or maybe you get a cush gig at the Pentagon pushing papers for some one star. Before you know it it's time to retire. My point is, you're not going to be changing oil forever. The Marine Corps will keep you moving. Ask ANY Marine who has been in for longer than 4 years what all they did and they will rattle off a bunch of different stuff. What am I doing right now? I'm the only Marine in my MOS in my entire squadron and I'm not doing a thing related to my MOS. How did I get here? No clue. Just happens that way. So if you end up going motor T, make the best of it and always look to the future. Don't worry about your job so much. Good luck.

cth213
07-18-11, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the replys, I am going to keep asking my recruiter if anything else has opened up, if not I will suck it up as long as I become a Marine.
Thanks again