PDA

View Full Version : Is the start of junior year (high school) too early to begin talks with a recruiter?

07-17-11, 01:44 AM
I am 17 and will be a junior next year. I live on an Army base and my whole life's been Army this Army that. I know little except for documentaries and online research. I would like very much to earn the title.

Tinez88
07-17-11, 01:51 AM
you can go on youtube and search Jimmy D'shea or Jduwayne or myself CheerioMartinez and all of us talk about Marine Corps bootcamp, the fleet and answer other questions people may have about the Marine corps

CplLakota
07-19-11, 07:57 AM
D. Russ. You are one year too early. This is the path that I took. altho unless things have changed, which i doubt, you will need a signature from a parent when your seventeen. Its called the Delayed Entry Program. You sign up for the Inactive reserves for your Senior Year. Your Marine Recruiter will know all about this. You'l got thru a whole inprocessing physical and things at a MEPS station, I think thats what they are still called. and you'l sign a Reserves Contract for 1 Year. It states that you will graduate high school, and the Marine Corps Says they will hold a slot for you at either PI or SD. Hope that helps you out. Things may have changed in the almost 30 years since i went thru, but im sure most things havent.

Lisa 23
07-19-11, 09:30 AM
US Military Enlistment Standards
Age Limits

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlage.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlage.htm)

MEPS at a Glance
An Overview of the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS)

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/mepsglance.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/mepsglance.htm)

08-07-11, 03:15 PM
Thanks for replying

SgtDurbin
08-07-11, 09:19 PM
Yes, unfortunately too soon. A person can only be enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program for 365 days before shipping to recruit training. Some cases allow 410 days for those who qualify. Go talk to your recruiter and if you want to start participating in the poolee functions once a week, you will gain alot of knowledge and get in shape fast. Once you can get started on a contract, you will have a lot of experience in the delayed entry program. Your recruiter will get you sworn in as soon as possible, as long as your parents are ok with it and have signed your parental consent form. Hope this helps.

08-10-11, 09:15 PM
Thank you Seargenat.

SgtDurbin
08-10-11, 11:00 PM
What I would recommend you do is go to the station and start participating in everything. What this will do for you is allow you to get ahead of alot of people that enlist and have very little time before bootcamp. You will have alot of marine corps knowledge and hopefully your physically fit enough to stand out in boot camp and become a Guide. When you are a guide in boot camp you may have the opportunity to become meritoriously promoted and be the honor grad of your platoon. If you go to boot camp as a PVT, you'll get PFC. Putting you almost six months ahead of your peers, promotion wise. If you were going to boot camp after a year or two of my PT sessions I run for my poolees then I could garuntee you'd be ready for the challenge ahead.

The Duck
08-13-11, 12:38 AM
It's not too early to go and see a recruiter. I remember there being a bunch of guys who were only in their junior year participating in poole functions and what not. If you have questions or want to even become active in poole functions and what not go and talk with them. It'll give you more time to figure out what you want to do, and give you some insight. There's nothing stopping you from talking to a recruiter.

08-13-11, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had on a Marine Corps lanyard and was asked if i wanted to join by a poole in my Jrotc class. He told me that a recruiter was coming this wed and to talk to him so he could i quote "get a bag". I am going to follow up on his advice and see what happens.:confused: