PDA

View Full Version : My time on "The Rock" Okinawa memories.

EGTSpec
07-16-11, 08:58 PM
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a long time. Most every Marine has spent some time on Okinawa. What I would like is a thread where past and current Marines can post some of their experiences while on the "Rock". Favorite Restaraunts, towns, foods, party bars, run ins with the JPs, tourist sites, clashes between different units in bars, etc etc. Anything related to your time there. I know litterally all Marines who have experienced Okinawa have at least one story to tell. Well lets hear em.

This might need to be moved to Chesty's Hooch eventually. LOL

ecfree
07-16-11, 09:19 PM
Just outside the main gate at Camp Courtney was this small joint,I forget the name of the place,like a café..
I got hooked on "OME RICE",a dish or two of that together with a few cold "ORION" beers.....
In case you never had Ome Rice,it was just white rice and beef gravy and on top was placed a couple of eggs over easy.....It don't sound like much but man it was good,especially with a hang over...
Some bars in New Koza were hang outs on week ends off...Shack up ? Of course....
SEMPER FI:iwo:......................Ed

EGTSpec
07-16-11, 09:26 PM
Yaka-soba after a night of bar hopping in Henoko city. Have yet to find anywhere in the states that compares. Bamboo boxes of chicken fried rice carried bak to the barracks for consumption the next day. How many put ketchup on their fried rice? YUM!! Chicken legs that weighed a pound if they weighed an ounce, sold from a vender just across the street from the main gate for Camp Hansen. Is that joint still there?

allengreen65
07-16-11, 09:50 PM
I remember one time myself and a friend of mine were partying down at Kadena air base and i believe the city was naha, well we got kind of a late start heading back to Camp Hansen. When the japanese bus we were riding on got to the point where we were supposed to take a right to get back to our base, the bus was taking a left and we found out that we missed the last ride that went that far. So we found ourselves on the side of the road somewhere in okinawa between Kadena and hansen. And at the time we were supposed to be on base by 12 midnight or face the consequences of being on the night crawler list.Just when we thought that we were totally fu&*ed we see these two little sports cars racing towards down the road. so we stuck out our thumbs and they stopped. Turns out it was two jet jockeys from Kadena out for a little hell raising. Well they picked us up and ran us all the way to Hansen where we actually had time to get some OME RICE before just beating the clock onto base. It was our lucky night I guess:yes:

EGTSpec
07-16-11, 09:58 PM
Ammo Company and AmTracs at Schwab were notorious rivals. Don't know why to this day, but got in a bar brawl one night in a bar in Henoko City when an Amtracker stood up and yelled, "If you aint Amtrac, you aint sh!t!" Our First shirt happened to be in the bar with about twenty of us Ammo Techs. He stands up and says, "You aint sh!t MotherF**Ker" and throws a beer bottle at the guy. All hell broke loose and I was crawling for the door when the JPs, and SPs came busting in. I made it out the door barely. C.O. was not a happy camper next morning at formation. LOL

tripledog
07-16-11, 10:41 PM
Nobody got honk jobs, steam baths and masssages for 2 bucks?

AAV Crewchief
07-16-11, 11:24 PM
aHHHHHHHH the days at Schwab (Sept 82- May 83, got lucky and assigned to Sub Unit at Fuji until Feb 84)

..........anyhow, Henoko and NUMBER ONE TACOS

greensideout
07-16-11, 11:50 PM
I remember one time myself and a friend of mine were partying down at Kadena air base and i believe the city was naha, well we got kind of a late start heading back to Camp Hansen. When the japanese bus we were riding on got to the point where we were supposed to take a right to get back to our base, the bus was taking a left and we found out that we missed the last ride that went that far. So we found ourselves on the side of the road somewhere in okinawa between Kadena and hansen. And at the time we were supposed to be on base by 12 midnight or face the consequences of being on the night crawler list.Just when we thought that we were totally fu&*ed we see these two little sports cars racing towards down the road. so we stuck out our thumbs and they stopped. Turns out it was two jet jockeys from Kadena out for a little hell raising. Well they picked us up and ran us all the way to Hansen where we actually had time to get some OME RICE before just beating the clock onto base. It was our lucky night I guess:yes:

OME RICE----as good as it gets!!! I liked OKI the most for that treat! I never found it in Japan?

Marine1955
07-17-11, 01:53 AM
Man I loved yaka soba and shrimp fried rice !!!!

Man after a night out shrimp fried rice was the bomb!! we would head to club and play music and sing all night long and when morning came we would be hung over like crap.
I know for one thing in Naha I loved the roller skate rink, cause I got my share of little skating partners on and off the floor I also won a silver medal in Naha , Japan also.So I knew how to skate really well,and the young women like that. I still have it and when people say I'm bull chitting...I show them and then they say sorry,thought you we're lying ..
Also had a Japaneses friend who was a Captain and we would go to the good Bars and party. he would take really good care of me and wouldn't let the bar girls try to rip me off of money on drinks, he was really cool.. I really miss it there,, wish I could slide back for a 72 hour pass.

http://i55.tinypic.com/25tiaus.jpg