PDA

View Full Version : Joining after having a kid?

candiek87
07-15-11, 10:40 PM
hi there! new to the site and hopefully a future Marine!

i do have a question for all the females out there! im 24 and just had a kid in march. i know i have to do something with my life and ive always wanted to be a Marine. going to school around here doesnt excite me as im more hands on and the job pool around here sucks. would anyone here recommend joining as a single parent? i have an awesome fcp and might (hopefully) be married to my former Marine man soon! i know it will be hard leaving my beautiful daughter but i have to provide better for her! and be an awesome roll model!

is joining after having a child a bad idea, or will it make a me a bad parent for leaving my child? or would you recommend a different branch. my choices right now are pretty much Marines and nat. guard, as the army navy and af dont take single parents.

any input is greatly appreciated!

m14ed
07-16-11, 04:28 AM
I'm Male,
I'm Old,
But, I'll ask any way.

Are you for real ?

Marine1955
07-16-11, 10:00 AM
What are you ?? Stupid are something??
If you want to join,it's alright. as long as you have someone who you can trust to give care to your young one, your alright to join the Marine Corps.
Just remember once you sign the dotted line and raise your right hand and say I do, your married to the Marine Corps and not your Husband or your child they come second and third cause the Marine Corps is NUMBER #1
If you feel you can't do that then don't join. But if you can just think you might be the first Female Sgt.Maj. of the Marine Corps..

http://i56.tinypic.com/k2za6g.jpg

chulaivet1966
07-16-11, 11:31 AM
is joining after having a child a bad idea,

I'm no female but....yes, it's a bad idea.

Sorry...you've chosen your life path already.
I think you should get your priorities straight and make sure your child has a GOOD parenting father.
You wanting to be a Marine now does not sound legit to me as my impression is your life is somewhat aimless at this time.
It sounds more like an afterthought and you want the USMC to care of you and your child.
I will only hope you will just concentrate on being a GOOD parent and exercise exemplary parenting skills.

That's my take on it.....carry on.

candiek87
07-16-11, 11:45 AM
i believe that joining is the best and greatest thing to do. for one the discipline of the military, the pride, the commitment and the sense of belonging to something for the greater good of the country is something that i need and want. ill be proving to myself that i am strong and determined and ill be teaching my child that you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. being a Marine is something only few can claim and i want to be able to do that for her and i. yes i know it will be hard to leave her for deployments for months at a time but it will only make our bond stronger. plus most of the military kids ive met have always been more respectful, intelligent, and up to date on current events. atleast that was my take on them!;)

Apache
07-16-11, 02:34 PM
Remove brain housing group from rear echelon
Where is your child all this time ?

Outside that I don't think you have the commitment to survive in the Marine Corps

chulaivet1966
07-16-11, 02:40 PM
Outside that I don't think you have the commitment to survive in the Marine Corps

Correct....plus, her life 'commitment' is already been determined.

"yes i know it will be hard to leave her for deployments for months at a time but it will only make our bond stronger"

No...this is naive at best.
Concentrate on getting a job, being a PARENT and nurturing your child.

I'm done here....good luck...carry on.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-18-11, 09:00 PM
Moved to the correct forum....

Tennessee Top
07-19-11, 04:04 AM
Last I heard the USMC does not take single parents either. That's because they want people who can focus all their attention on the mission and be able to pack up and deploy on a moments notice.

You are missing the big picture here. Life in the USMC is tough enough for anyone without a young child to be responsible for and worry about. It is common for young enlisted families with infants/small children to be on food stamps (very sad but true). Your command would not tolerate childcare issues...there is no such thing as calling in because you can't find a babysitter. You are either standing in formation on time or you are considered unauthorized absence (they take money out of your paycheck for that and if it happens again bust you down a paygrade/stripe).

Your desire to serve is commendable but you can't as a single parent. Marry your child's father and then reconsider your options.

Good luck.

Phantom Blooper
07-19-11, 07:41 AM
Since you are not married to your Marine man...you will have to give guardianship to a trusted individual while you were in boot camp.....

My opine stay at home raise your child and get on with your life.

The Marine Corps doesn't give a rats pattotie when it comes to orders ....stateside....overseas or in harms way.....you may or may not see much of your child.....

Big decision and depending on what MOS you would get.....the time and money invested in training and then you have to leave because of family hardship.

iamspartacus
07-19-11, 11:14 AM
the discipline of the military, the pride, the commitment and the sense of belonging to something for the greater good of the country is something that i need and want.

I would also agree that joining as a single parent is a bad idea. It's hard enough on the kids when they have two parents and one is always gone. However, if you are hell bent on doing this, I would strongly suggest the Marine Corps Reserves, NOT active. You will still get everything you listed above. Drill out of your hometown so that in the event your unit does get mobilized you'll have a good family/friend support group to look after your child when you're gone. If you go active duty you may find yourself in Okinawa on your first tour. Then it will be you and your kid thousands of miles away from anyone you know. What are you going to do then when you get word you're going out to sea for 7 months?

This is all assuming they do in fact let you enlist.

Artemis
07-19-11, 11:23 AM
They will take single parents but the parent has to sign over custody of the minor child. You will not recieve any special treatments because you are a single child. I got shipped off as soon as my son turned 6 months old and I was gone for 15 months. This would be a no go.

candiek87
07-19-11, 01:05 PM
thata yall for the input! as much as i want to join the marines i think that everyine is right:cry:. if i did the reserves id be traveling super far away for drills and stuff. so i guess i will do the next closest thing and join the national guard! not quite what i wanted to do but ill still be able to serve my country and have pride but if i enroll in school i can elect not to be deployed for the duration of school. but my heart will always keen for the marine corps:flag:. maybe if i put in enough years i can join the marines later on in life. but any service in my mind is commendable:thumbup:.

iamspartacus
07-19-11, 01:31 PM
if i did the reserves id be traveling super far away for drills and stuff.

I just googled "USMCR units" and found 4 within 3 hours of you. Some people get on a plan and fly half way across the country for drill. Now, I'm not trying to steer you away from the national guard. I'm not even trying to steer you to the military period. As I stated before, it appears your first priority is to your child. And if the national guard is what you want to do, great. They serve their purpose like the rest of us. But if the Marine Corps is where your heart is at, just go talk to a recruiter and see what he can do for you. I joined the Marine Corps over the other branches because that's where I wanted to be. I knew if I were in any other I'd constantly be thinking, "man I wish I were in the Corps." I would hate for you to be in Afghanistan thinking that. Because then not only would life be tough, but you wouldn't truly be happy where you were. At least if you were in Marine Corps cammies you'd know it was where you wanted to be.