PDA

View Full Version : Logistics

McF4DDEN
07-15-11, 02:55 PM
Good afternoon Marines! I ship to MCRD SD on 1 Aug 2011 and my MOS contract is in the Logistics field. I am just wondering what kinds of things I will specifically be doing both in garrison and in country. What is a typical day like for a Logistics Marine? What kinds of things are they doing overseas in the Middle East? Is there a combat element to the MOS? Which MOS in the field would I most likely see combat in? Thank you in advance!

Zulu 36
07-15-11, 03:33 PM
Good afternoon Marines! I ship to MCRD SD on 1 Aug 2011 and my MOS contract is in the Logistics field. I am just wondering what kinds of things I will specifically be doing both in garrison and in country. What is a typical day like for a Logistics Marine? What kinds of things are they doing overseas in the Middle East? Is there a combat element to the MOS? Which MOS in the field would I most likely see combat in? Thank you in advance!

Google the MOS field. There are more than one MOS in the field.

Once again the question about combat: My best friend in my unit in Vietnam was an 0431. He was KIA by a 122mm rocket, so use your imagination. I got to officially ID his body - twice. So, yes, there is a combat element.

In fact, you ship on the 39th anniversary of his death. While you're traveling to PI, I'll be talking with his sister like we do every year and I'll be an emotional wreck for at least the rest of the day. Think on that aspect of combat. I'm not trying to be nasty, just realistic.

Tennessee Top
07-16-11, 04:39 AM
If you work in a supply warehouse you'll be handing out gear to Marines checking in and taking gear back when they check out (along with doing inventory and completing lots of forms). Warehouses are big buildings so normally not airconditioned or heated...you get the idea. In the summertime you'll run a big electric floor fan and in the winter they'll let you wear a field jacket (maybe a space heater behind the counter if you're lucky).

McF4DDEN
07-16-11, 10:47 AM
I am sorry for your loss sir, I realize the consequences of combat and I am just wondering which of the Logistics MOS's would give me that opportunity while in theatre. Thank you MSgt., and are there any other places Logistics Marines work generally?

ssgtt32
07-16-11, 03:46 PM
I was a 0431 logistics/embarkation specailist, certified to load anything that rolls, floats, or flies! I was also -2 qualifed, so if you load a plane hope that your signature is not on the paper work if it crashes!

Maurice

Conch
07-16-11, 11:18 PM
You think combat is so wonderful? Well maybe you ought to take a look at these two threads and some of the other threads in the PTSD forum. Oh and by the way, the Marine who started the first thread is 23 YEARS OLD. So you just think about what combat does to some people. It's not always like what you see on Call of Duty or Halo:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104925

and

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98139

Combat isn't always a nice thing. Good luck to you.

Red Patch 1345
07-17-11, 12:00 AM
I was a 0431 logistics/embarkation specailist, certified to load anything that rolls, floats, or flies! I was also -2 qualifed, so if you load a plane hope that your signature is not on the paper work if it crashes!

Maurice

Hello former Red Patcher! SSGT, I was the one that loaded what you told me to load :) I think if this Soon to be Marine gets his jump wings he will have a good time as a Logistics Marine.

lamanognr86
07-17-11, 12:06 AM
Hey poolee, don't worry about that stuff now. How bout you worry about completing boot camp then graduating from your MOS.

ssgtt32
07-17-11, 08:27 AM
Hello former Red Patcher! SSGT, I was the one that loaded what you told me to load :) I think if this Soon to be Marine gets his jump wings he will have a good time as a Logistics Marine.

Hey Red Patch, did you check my profile, I was red patch too, 1985-1988, I was a 3112.:p

Maurice

JEANDERSON1981
09-03-11, 01:02 AM
I'm a Sgt thinking about lat moving from 03 to 0431. As a Sgt what would my specific duties be? How far behind the power curve would I be, would it be easy to pick up this MOS? How's the promotions in this MOS?

Ice Man
09-03-11, 03:23 PM
I'm a Sgt thinking about lat moving from 03 to 0431. As a Sgt what would my specific duties be? How far behind the power curve would I be, would it be easy to pick up this MOS? How's the promotions in this MOS?

I don't know sh*t about 04's, but what I do know is they pick up fast as hell. I know a guy that works in an office by me, been in like 7 years, looks like a sh*t bird, timid as hell, and he's a damn SSgt. Weak. So I'm assuming it doesn't take long to get promoted, as this guy doesn't look like a meritorious Marine by any stretch of the imagination.

And there's nothing wrong with a Poolee wondering if he'll see combat in his MOS. I see no need to link to PTSD pages. For everyone that legitimately (not all the bit*ches out there that are just cry babies and blame all of their problems on a deployment to Al Asad) gets PTSD, there's 100 who don't. Some people just aren't cut out for it. No need trying to scare someone trying to better themselves.