PDA

View Full Version : What do Marines do for fun

Bornagain
07-15-11, 01:48 PM
I got to thinking about this and depending on your location it sounds like free time may be really boring. So what do Marines do on/off base for fun?

AKA HITMAN
07-15-11, 01:51 PM
Anything most folks do, just trying to keep you military bearing can be a chore. Trust me, I know....

slug
07-15-11, 01:53 PM
shoot ****, **** *****es, start fights, drink, destroy ****, you know, the norm.

AKA HITMAN
07-15-11, 02:19 PM
shoot ****, **** *****es, start fights, drink, destroy ****, you know, the norm.
Agreed.....anything that normal folks do......

Zulu 36
07-15-11, 02:33 PM
You can have a lot of fun depending on your location and interests.

If you like scuba, Okinawa is a diver's paradise. Plenty of places to learn too.

Surfing: Hawaii or So. California.

Drinking: almost any place. When I was in this was about all there was to do at Camp Lejuene - that and have fist fights. Sober fist fights were optional. I don't know if things have changed there.

If you want to sport jump, there are usually clubs near major bases where you can learn.

Martial arts: Okinawa, Japan, or near any major stateside base.

Sports: Almost every base has stuff going on and you can always join off-base leagues too. When I was in tackle/flag football, rugby, racquetball, basketball, baseball/softball were the biggies.

Sun tanning naked: Black's Beach (northern end of San Diego).

Of course, there is always college if your schedule allows.

Mostly, it's what you make it. You'll be told the naughty things, so just avoid them and do everything else.

Bornagain
07-15-11, 02:33 PM
Cool. It sounds like fun.

Bornagain
07-15-11, 02:35 PM
Ya, my dad always described Okinawa as being a cool place. If I was to ever be able to choose where to get stationed it would be there.

hussaf
07-15-11, 02:59 PM
Xbox, alcohol, gym is about what 75% of guys do, particularly first term Marines. The younger ones are away from home for the first time and just like to party. Guys who are a little older typically take advantage of the MWR offerings more, or have more money to pursue hobbies like climbing, biking, MMA, fishing, or whatever. You are limited to your imagination; in the words of my buddy "if you're bored, you are boring."

MOS4429
07-15-11, 03:15 PM
I got to thinking about this and depending on your location it sounds like free time may be really boring. So what do Marines do on/off base for fun?

Well...everybody knows we all drag our knuckles on the ground and are thugs. We hire ourselves out as mobster body guards and hitmen. :p

slug
07-16-11, 01:08 AM
Well...everybody knows we all drag our knuckles on the ground and are thugs. We hire ourselves out as mobster body guards and hitmen. :p
Shhh, gotta keep our moonlighting on the dl till they get in. haha

advanced
07-19-11, 08:53 AM
We used to drink, raise hell, and score with the ladies. Afterward we'd sleep alot.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-11, 08:34 PM
LOL. Yeah, BTDT. My first few pumps that's exactly what I did. Later on I took advantage of all the free or reduced price MWR tours.

I got to see, on the gummint dime (or a very small bit of my own):

Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Hiroshima, Corregidor, Bataan, Jerusalem (Golgotha, Wailing Wall, Church of the Holy Sepheculur etc), Marmaris Turkey, Ephesus, Crete, Volos Bay Greece..

And those are just the ones I can think of of the top of my head...

usmc4life1991
07-26-11, 08:14 PM
I make youtube videos to help people wanting to join like you... or just go clubbing.. or cook out and definitely a whole lot of beer, tobacco, and xbox

GreenRam
07-26-11, 11:59 PM
Well, I damn near got married til the crazy chick didnt know what she wanted out of life and left me so I took that as a chance to have a good time....soooo, Beer, blowing stuff up, more beer, women, beer, shooting stuff, xbox and if I'm not doing any of that I'm either actually working or SLEEPING. The simple life, I enjoy it.