PDA

View Full Version : Attn: "gear field tester guys"

SlingerDun
07-15-11, 01:17 AM
Blackhawk or TAG? Which is more durable and comfortable - need a new ruck, and if it's waterproof that's certainly a bonus here abouts

LandsNGrooves
07-15-11, 11:58 PM
TAG if you want a nice simple awnser.

What kinda of ruck do you need? How much space? What is your price range?What is the application, mission support or backpacking on the weekends?

to be honest, the current issue pack is very nice and capable,You can put 80%of the weight on your hips. Marines love to complain, and get romantic about how it used to be, so you hear a lot of bull**** , but thats cause a lot of them have never spent time under a ALICE pack to know what they are "missing";).

slug
07-16-11, 12:51 AM
If you are looking for a large ruck, look into Ares Armor. I have one of their customized Atlas rucks and love it. You can load that ***** up heavy and not feel it.

SlingerDun
07-16-11, 03:00 AM
3 day pack. It will carry a DSLR, couple lenses, mini tripod, maps, rain coat, sandwich's, chess set, field glasses, books etc...

slug
07-16-11, 04:27 AM
Considering what you are carrying, a Mystery Ranch 3-day pack would actually work perfectly. I use mine damn near every day. Given how the pack is arranged and the features it has, I can't see a better load than camera gear for it.

LandsNGrooves
07-16-11, 10:31 AM
If you are looking for a large ruck, look into Ares Armor. I have one of their customized Atlas rucks and love it. You can load that ***** up heavy and not feel it.

Is that thing built on a normal ALICE frame or does it just look like it? That thing looks ****ing huge, like you could stuff 170 lbs worth of **** if you really wanted too.

hussaf
07-16-11, 10:39 AM
Probably newer ALICE packs are the most popular. If you want it for non-military hiking, I would go with Arc 'Teryx (not sure on the spelling), or just ask someone at your nearest REI store.

I am currenlty on deployment and just got out of the filed where I spent about 93 days living out of a TAG ruck I got issued from 2nd Recon Bn. Not sure on any other designators as to the specific TAG variant of the ruck, but a lot of guys didn't like it. Its certainly much better than the ILBE, but the shoulder straps suck, you can't adjust them on the fly, and they don't position well on the shoulder (and there's not good shoulder padding). Some guys complained about the frame, but I didn't have any issues. Plus the puches have only one zipper, instead of two, which is slightly annoying. I used it, and lived, so I've got no major complaints...especially since it was free. Not sure on the cubic inches, but these TAGS that are being issued had enough room to be sufficient for 96 hour patrols; bedding, a ton of water, ammo, WAG bags, 5590's, CR-123s, etc...

I think the RABN guys used something from Mystery Ranch, it was basically an ALLICE pack..they never really complained about them, that I can remember.

SlingerDun
08-07-11, 12:37 AM
"Mystery Ranch 3-day pack" wooooooo i like the specs but not the price tag. I suppose the hydration system could be rigged to function as a laptop compartment but

Still looking

NatGeo sells an interesting canvas "Walkabout" ruck but that material tends to be heavy and it's only really rainproof until it starts rubbing on your back. Like the old canvas shelter half will turn rain all day and night, until you touch it

bpatk
08-07-11, 11:30 AM
Yes step up to the mic & complain if you've done 60+ mi. with an ALICE pack with about 60lbs. in/on it. Ahh the NOT pretty but fond memories!! The new hydration packs, are they better than the old goat skin bags? Must be better than 3-4 canteens beating the snot out of your md section

Zulu 36
08-07-11, 02:48 PM
Blackhawk or TAG? Which is more durable and comfortable - need a new ruck, and if it's waterproof that's certainly a bonus here abouts

Try the old M-1941 pack system. Still know how to make a long blanket roll? Neither do I. :D

To bpatk, try hiking all over the Sierra Nevadas with the old M-1941 system. Field transport pack. You'll appreciate even the old ALICE packs.

SlingerDun
08-07-11, 03:20 PM
I've got something similar!:yes:just the pack no G.I. accessories, and it's a bit small - Andy & Bax surplus store calls it's a musette bag. The multi-culti trendy kids like's em for notebook bags decorated with patches if they cant afford Filson or Orvis, and they can't

DIMAS86
08-07-11, 07:23 PM
Couldn't agree more with slug. The guys at Ares are great guys, and do amazing work. Also HIGHLY agree with something that has an ALICE frame. ps. Blackhawk is overpriced BS.

hussaf
08-07-11, 10:55 PM
If there is one thing you learn in the military, its that gear is expensive.

With that, you can always head to London Bridge and get custom-made gear. I know dudes who've taken out loans to purchase gear for deployment...tools.

SlingerDun
09-11-11, 01:44 AM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/slingerdun/Kataruck1.jpg

The bottom opens out and has padded inserts for camera and lenses, the top section has a padded zip in horizontal divider to separate miscellaneous gear. The inside is bright yellow for contrast in locating little bits and pieces. There's plenty of decent pockets including a laptop sleeve but nothing designated for a water bottle - except that little mesh net that's holding a monopod. It doesn't look much like a camera bag, and thats a good thing

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/slingerdun/Kataruck2text.jpg

4 or 5 layers of Vinyl Polymer Spray should keep water from leaching through<label for="rb_iconid_14">http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif</label>

FistFu68
09-11-11, 08:15 AM
:evilgrin: I have a BLACKHAWK Survival Pack that I've put many a Miles on BowHunting all over the USA~~~I do not need more than a Extra Pair of Sock's, Poncho / with Liner,Road Flares,Compass,Topo Map's,Tobasco Sause,Chit Paper and 2 boxes of 44 Mag. Ammo,a Couple MRE's...As a Civie Pack it has served Me well Plus now that I spend alot of Time Stalking in Tha High Desert The Digi Pattern in (DESERT FLOGUE) comes in pretty Handy,bought it at Gun Show in TEXAS...Tha price was Right 45$.Still have My ALICE Pack USMC issue that I humped too Me it a worthless piece of Chit...Great as an AMMO BEARER but Walking Point was My Fortay so My FANNY PACK on My Deuce gear was tha...CAT'S MEOW.S/F Happy Trails~~~India 3 out :beer: :iwo:

SlingerDun
09-19-11, 06:33 PM
Picked up two new pair of Danner Combat Hikers today http://www.danner.com/dannerr-combat-hikertm-military-boots.html
for $50 per pair. Once in awhile you gotta stop in and see what's on sale because they don't advertise. One of the few benefits of living around portland.
I've been wearing a pair of these boots every few days or so for almost 3 years and the rubber rand and soles are still double tough, although quite rigid and kind of heavy. The innards wear out before the outers do. They were also scored for $50 in 2008.

Dude at the Danner factory store said they had a big military contract for the Combat Hiker, but it played out and these are now surplus. He also said the main G.I. complaints from Afghanistan is that they are too hot.

They have the Danner Marine "hot" - light split grain leather and similar to jungle boots with the screen water drainage/air ports - on sale for $50. Don't know why.

Whenever i'm working down on my all fours or abrasive terrain, i wear the Combat Hiker because they can take the scuffing from concrete, dirt and sand. They're also good for the working end of shovel because they don't sore up the arches. The waterproofing features are good for a couple months of hard use before they begin to leak - even with proper care and extra treatment. Apparently they were also designed to fit in a military issue snowshoe?

These boots are "survivors" like Hermans used to be before selling out to China and Walmart.

looks like the ebayer's are this deal

SlingerDun
09-19-11, 06:39 PM
damn 5 minute editing<label for="rb_iconid_6">http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif</label>

Zulu 36
09-19-11, 06:54 PM
I have worn nothing but Danner's since about the mid-1980s. My first pair went through four sets of soles before the Gore-tex sock was too messed up (Thanks to Desert Storm). The second pair needs it's 2d set of soles now (I haven't worn the second pair as much since I retired). I also have a pair of desert type boots that I wear when out doing Scout stuff.

Danner's are the best boots in the world as far as I'm concerned.

hussaf
10-07-11, 09:26 PM
The Danner RATs fall apart on the reg, also are too hot, are way too heavy, and take up a lot of space when packing in a ruck. If you are patrolling the Helmand river valley on foot, they get stuck in irrigated farmland and are really hard to pull out of the much, and they are pretty uncomfortable after being immersed in water. I love Danners, but more so as a garrison boot, and not the RATs. We usually used something super lightweight in AFG; Rocky S2V, Garmonts, Chuck T high tops, Merels were most common and successful boot for anything involving river crossings and thick mud.

RP0369
10-08-11, 01:58 AM

In an answer my friend....anything other than CrapHawk.

I prefer Edji-san here on Okinawa...reasonable price, and if you can dream it He can build it.

-Ryan

SlingerDun
10-08-11, 12:54 PM
He doesn't seem to searchable, you got photos of an Edji-pack

RP0369
10-08-11, 04:49 PM
No sir, as I said...you have to tell him what you want...and he's not on the net...little Okinawan man that lives over here...

SlingerDun
10-09-11, 05:54 PM
This is not a bad unit when it's working, but the LCD is challenging to read in daylight and direct sunlight

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/slingerdun/crackeddigitizer2.jpg?t=

It's not so tender as it looks and didn't go down easy, but not sure i want to invest in repairs.

How about a hands on review of a handheld GPS of any brand - that is sh*t hot!?

FistFu68
10-09-11, 06:26 PM
:beer: The GPS...On My Android X-Phone By Motorola~~~ :beer: :thumbup:

RP0369
10-09-11, 09:31 PM
I'm partial to my Garmin ETrex Legend

SlingerDun
11-04-11, 12:41 AM
http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/148/1f798e15211f47c297be0ac134212d95/l.jpg
I used to be cautious about scratching the screen, before it shattered. But it's really of no great concern if you have:

Torx screwdriver #T6

utility knife

microfiber cloth and brush

lens cleaning fluid

digitizer/LCD replacement screen - $20.00 on ebay

FistFu68
11-04-11, 05:37 AM
:evilgrin: I just put My X-Droid in a Zip Lock Sandwich Baggy does not interfer with Reception and is Totally H20 Proof,saves Screen from Scratches and All the Super Dust Storms around here + Saves Me tha CASHISH $$$$ :beer: :iwo: