PDA

View Full Version : Losing muscle gains in boot camp

CrispyGremlins
07-14-11, 07:13 PM
So here's my story. I'm shipping to MCRD P.I. in 17 days, and I currently am 1 pull-up away from a perfect IST. I know I can get 1 extra in 17 days so that's not the problem. My problem is I've seen a lot of people come back from boot camp that have lost not only fat, but muscle. I have a recon contract that I signed last year that according to my recruiter "Will offer me a shot at recon if it's available when I get out of boot camp." I'm worried that I'll lose my current scores and not be able to do as many pull ups because of the lack of pt. Also, it would be horrible trying out for recon having lost 6-7 pullups and have a 19:00 run time. (I don't know much about recon school, but I'm told I would go right after SOI.) (I work out a lot and run 3-4 miles a day, no protein or creatine just vitamins.) If anybody could tell me their experience with muscle loss in boot camp I'd really appreciate it. I was thinking maybe eat protein-loaded food in the chow hall? I'm not sure what there is to eat but I can definitely eat quite a bit. I usually eat a large meal before I work out/run/pt at my substation and have never thrown up from it, so I'm not worried about that at all.

MOS4429
07-14-11, 10:01 PM
Crispy, there is a difference between bulk muscle and lean muscle mass. Yeah, one can pump the iron, bulk up, but in boot camp you are not going to be hanging at the gym pumping iron. I went in at 178, came out at 198, and it was not fat. Boot camp put a ton of upper body strength on me. I have known nobody who goes into boot camp and graduates doing less pull ups. If you feel you are not getting in enough pullups, when you come out of the chow hall, there are pull up bars there and frequently recruits are allowed to use them. As far as chow hall food and protein, it will not be a buffet, believe me. You will walk -- no, change that -- march in, head and eyes forward, get your tray, and you will be dished up your chow. It will be very high in carbohydrates. But you'll get your protein, too. You will not select what you want. You will sit, and with head and eyes straight forward, consume you chow and consume it fast.

So, I do not think you have anything to worry about. Lean muscle mass is better, more functional, and more flexible than bulk muscle mass. I powerlifted for years, so I've had lean, and I've had bulk. You will be fine.

CrispyGremlins
07-14-11, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the response, that really motivates me. I'm pretty lean as it is (5'10" 160 lbs) so hopefully after boot camp I'll have even more conditioning and be even more ready for recon.

I do agree with you about the lean muscle mass part as well. Do they do mostly conditioning in boot camp?

chulaivet1966
07-14-11, 10:16 PM
Lean muscle mass is better, more functional, and more flexible than bulk muscle mass. .

:thumbup:....:beer:

SlingerDun
07-14-11, 10:47 PM
Are there also pull up bars between the barracks where the wash racks used to be? Where recruits used to scrub their laundry on weekends with a scuzz brush and WiskŪ, burn the occasional cigarette at night, if they had one...

MOS4429
07-14-11, 10:59 PM
Do they do mostly conditioning in boot camp?

I think this question should be answered by somebody who has gone through boot camp in the last 5 months to give you accuracy. I went 33 years ago, and yeah, we did a lot of conditioning. We did not do weights, no time for that. It was mostly running, bends and thrusts, lots of calesthetics, pushups, bends and thrusts, pullups, situps, bends and thrusts, obstacle course, the pit, the classroom, and oh, did I mention, bends and thrusts.

YLDNDN6
07-16-11, 02:52 PM
Mountain climbers! Side straddle hops! Form a diamond on my deck with your hands and push until the glorious state of California sinks into the ocean! Move! Get in the pit! Back, Belly, Side! The memories......

Apache
07-16-11, 06:07 PM
All varieties of good exercise using your own body weight
You will be pushed to your limits(can't recall a recruit not pushed past what they thought possible)
As previously stated bulk is not the objective,a Marine able to overcome-adjust- and adapt with the mental attitude to accompany the body is the result.

Also previously said don't concern you will be led by world class leaders that will
take you to your full potential.

Quinbo
07-16-11, 11:38 PM
They cram as much pt as humanly possible into a highly regimented training matrix. You and your platoon might get pitted a dozen times a day and not see the pt field for a week.

When I went through ITS there was very little organized PT but there was a lot of running to ranges in full gear, going through some very very physically demanding training once you get there and then running back to the garrison.

Don't worry they'll keep you in shape. It is the rare individual that does not leave boot camp in better shape than when he/she got there.

m14ed
07-17-11, 01:47 PM
I was thinking maybe eat protein-loaded food in the chow hall?
I'm not sure what there is to eat but I can definitely eat quite a bit.
I usually eat a large meal before I work out/run/pt at my substation
and have never thrown up from it, so I'm not worried about that at all.

Unless things have changed in the last 40 years
If i were you , i wouldnt worry about puking from eating too much
chow in boot camp..