PDA

View Full Version : Re-Joining - Disabled Marine.

Windisch
07-14-11, 12:57 PM
Devils,

I just signed up, was poking around. I was in the Corps for 6 years. Was a Sergeant when I got out. My IRR ended in 2008. I saw on some sites that you can re-enlists to the IRR, Does anyone know if this is true or not? I am also thinking about the reserves. I still have this itch that civilian life cannot scratch. However I am currently 60% disabled by the VA. I believe I took all the articles to state that the VA pays me for everyday in the month. If I were to go for Drill on that weekend I would get 2 days subtracted from my pay. Which is fine to me, The other question would be what rank would I most likely be knocked down to? I don't know how I would feel going back to E-3. E-4 I could probably deal with.

S/F
Sgt Windisch

devilbones2
07-14-11, 04:02 PM
If you look around here a bunch of people are trying to get back in. Most are trying to get back in as AD but some reserves. What was your MOS? I dont think you can reenlist in the IRR if you are out of the IRR but then again my PSR may have been just blowing smoke. What I would do if I were you is look around for your nearest Prior Service Recruiter and arrange a meeting. When you go in make sure that you have a Marines haircut and stuff so they know you are serious. More than likely they have seen many people that come in saying that they want to come back but dont actually do it. Do something to separate yourself from those types of people. Come back and let us know how it goes.

AAV Crewchief
07-14-11, 06:09 PM
If you are drawing disability, I doubt you can get back in because you'd have to waiver that issue.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-11, 11:09 PM
At 60 percent it's going to be a 'no go' for any branch. It IS possible to re-enlist...but ONLY if you are certified as no longer disabled through the VA. I know of one Marine, who through a period of several years, and one other service (Navy) was able to finally go back on active duty. It took him about 5 years to get this accomplished and he was only 30 percent.

Realistically, and being totally blunt, you've done your time, and now are being compensated for it. There are other things you can get into to fullfill your love of country and Corps, including the Marine Corps league, without giving up your hard earned disability.