PDA

View Full Version : Is This Weird?

Sadeghian
07-14-11, 12:11 AM
My ship date is coming up in less than a month, it's been a few weeks now, I just DON'T care about civilian stuff anymore, AT ALL. Like trying to get lucky, hanging out with friends, meeting new people, work, fun, basically anything a civilian can do. I just don't care for it anymore. Is this just me or did any of you Marines feel this detached from the civilian world before you shipped?

Sadeghian
07-14-11, 12:20 AM
I keep seeing on this forum about how poolees have jitters and such, I honestly don't at all, I'm just tired of waiting, and just want to get to boot camp...

Cpl Heglar
07-14-11, 07:35 AM
This is normal. Your world has collapsed and has became very narrow versus the world you were use to. You are only focused on 1 thing earning the title. I had no friends and broke it off with my fiance 6 months before PI. Sounds to me like you will have a great time in boot camp. Try and enjoy all of the awesome playgrounds they have I know I did and miss climbing for a living.

Good Luck.

Cpl Kev

jp2usmc
07-14-11, 09:10 AM
Just try not to get too disgusted at the other recruits in boot camp that are not as focused.

You seem a tad on the extreme side of focused and dedicated. That's good, but it means you are going to have to serve with a lot of others that do not share your enthusiasm.

Keep in mind that their "less than yours" mindset doesn't mean they might not turn into the next Metal of Honor recipient on the battlefield.

Sadeghian
07-14-11, 10:35 AM
Aye aye Cpl.
I'm really glad you think I'll do well Sgt.
Aye Aye Cpl, I'll try not to get TOO disgusted lol just kidding, I will try to help my fellow recruits out the best I can, it's all about the team effort :thumbup:

MOS4429
07-14-11, 12:23 PM
I went to boot camp with a fellow recruit who was as motivated and focused as you are. He lasted one week and was admined out. I don't share that to be negative, but to encourage you, when you get there, it will be a culture shock. Your focus will change. Keep your head and don't freak out. Saw too much of that. Other thing is you will be becoming a Marine, and as a Marine you will still need to function in the civilian world. Keep proper perspective.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-11, 11:28 PM
Yep. Good posts all the way around. Way back when, I felt EXACTLY like you did. All I did was eat breathe and sleep Marine Corps, and when my recruiter actually called and asked me if I wanted to leave 2 weeks EARLY I jumped on it!

But no matter how prepped you *think* you are....it's still a culture shock. Remember that Recruit Training will be only a very, very small part of your life in the Corps! You'll still have an enlistment to finish after you graduate.

Sadeghian
07-15-11, 01:46 AM
Rgr that Sgt.