PDA

View Full Version : help?

upcoming Marine
07-13-11, 11:25 PM
Hello Marines, my name is shane and im 16 years old. im enlisting in the Marine Corps when i grad. highschool. i know the maximum weight for my height, 5' 11, is 192 lbs. but i weigh about 220. i have a large frame and im very athletic i race bmx bikes, and im the third fastest in the state, SC.
anyways, how can i lose the 30 lbs, i do speed and agility classes every thursday, and ride bikes everyday. i've also started running a mile everyday, or on days i have work i dont, im an electrical helper. and what should i eat also? im motovated and ready to give it all i have and more. i know i could pass the PFT right now. and one more thing, are there any Marines here that was a SAW man, because thats what i want to do. thanks!

Lisa 23
07-14-11, 07:27 AM
Being you're only 16, concentrate on school....get good grades, stay out of trouble, and most importantly.....get that high school diploma, not a GED!
You've got about 30 lbs to lose and plenty of time to lose it the right way before you decide to join the Marine Corps. If you do a search on the site, you'll find some tips and advice on weight loss....exercises and diets. You can also use google.

Good luck to you.

jp2usmc
07-14-11, 09:17 AM
30 lbs in 2 years = 15 lbs in 1 year ...or just over 1 lb per month.

If all you do is lose 1 lb per week, you'll be ahead of the game.

FYI: If you are over your weight limit, they may still accept you, but you could be placed on the "fat squad" (reduced rations in boot camp sucks!) and it will be just that much more weight to hump and run with.

upcoming Marine
07-14-11, 12:48 PM
30 lbs in 2 years = 15 lbs in 1 year ...or just over 1 lb per month.

If all you do is lose 1 lb per week, you'll be ahead of the game.

FYI: If you are over your weight limit, they may still accept you, but you could be placed on the "fat squad" (reduced rations in boot camp sucks!) and it will be just that much more weight to hump and run with.
thanks, i know the fat squad would suck.

jp2usmc
07-14-11, 01:15 PM
LOL, yeah, I'm sure it did.

We'd come in from busting our butts to get some chow. They guys in the fat squad had red stripes painted on their clothes. Everyone goes through the chow line and you notice the fat guys don't get any meat, double the green vegetables, no crappy desert, and water only to drink.

In the field, they had to surrender their little desert packs from their MRE and sometimes their main course.

Boot camp was already hard on some folks. I would have hated to have been tagged a fat kid.

MOS4429
07-14-11, 03:19 PM
Hello Marines, my name is shane and im 16 years old. im enlisting in the Marine Corps when i grad. highschool. i know the maximum weight for my height, 5' 11, is 192 lbs. but i weigh about 220. i have a large frame and im very athletic i race bmx bikes, and im the third fastest in the state, SC.
anyways, how can i lose the 30 lbs, i do speed and agility classes every thursday, and ride bikes everyday. i've also started running a mile everyday, or on days i have work i dont, im an electrical helper. and what should i eat also? im motovated and ready to give it all i have and more. i know i could pass the PFT right now. and one more thing, are there any Marines here that was a SAW man, because thats what i want to do. thanks!

Softball is correct, focus on school, get good grades and your diploma.

That said, it's all about calories, how many you burn vs. how many you take in. Now, since you're 16, you don't drink beer, right?? so you don't have those calories, but get yourself a calorie booklet, maybe even find one on line, and then write down everything you eat in a day, each day for a week, and how many calories each item is.

If you are a typical kid, you need about 2200 calories a day to maintain. If you are active, like walk 1 to 3 miles a day, or run a mile a day, you need 2400 to 2800. If you participate in ACTIVE sports, not golf or baseball, you're looking at 3000-3200. You can average it at 2500 if you want.

If you consume 3000 a day, guess what? It stores as fat. If you want to lose weight, you have to reduce calories. Drop to 2000. Now get this, go to my favorite hamburger joint, In-N-Out Burger, and order a double-double. BAM! 670 CALORIES. Add some fries, 400 calories, and dude, you over half your calories. Add a milk shake or soda and guess what, you can have a can of Slim Fast later. :D

So, there you have it. Wanna lose weight, gotta cut calories, and the more you exercise, the more calories you'll burn.

BTW, I entered boot at 5'10" 178 and graduated at 198!! It wasn't fat, believe me. I rarely weighed under 200 the 9 years I was in. Never a problem, but when I was powerlifting for the Corps, I got up to 236 and had to do get a waiver. But since by body fat was below 8%, it wasn't a problem. Don't even ask what my body fat is today. :mad:

Sgt Leprechaun
07-14-11, 11:31 PM
My only advice....DO NOT DROP OUT TO GET A 'GED'!!!!! You'll never be that unhappy again.

You can lose the weight and get in shape, that just takes discipline...but if you drop out of High School, there ain't no fixin that, EVER.