PDA

View Full Version : going to boot camp in a month....

PooleeHiguera
07-13-11, 07:06 PM
I took my last IST and i passed at bare minimum....
Pull ups: 3
1.5 Mile Run: 12:30
Crunches: 57
I'm 5'11" and wight about 155Lbs....
am i ready for boot camp?

MOS4429
07-13-11, 07:56 PM

What do you think? Do you feel ready?

You have a month. Get your pullups to 5. Eat more and work out. 5'11" at 155? That's pretty skinny. But in boot camp, they will carb you up and it's not so much what you do at the beginning but at the end.

From what you say you are doing and the time available, you will do fine.

There is more to PT, though. Go to the thread Last minute boot camp advice http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104834

and read through the entries. There's some good stuff there to prep yourself prior to. Good luck.

PooleeHiguera
07-13-11, 08:15 PM
What do you think? Do you feel ready?

You have a month. Get your pullups to 5. Eat more and work out. 5'11" at 155? That's pretty skinny. But in boot camp, they will carb you up and it's not so much what you do at the beginning but at the end.

From what you say you are doing and the time available, you will do fine.

There is more to PT, though. Go to the thread Last minute boot camp advice http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104834

and read through the entries. There's some good stuff there to prep yourself prior to. Good luck.
I honestly feel a mix of emotions as my shipdate aproches...
and i am skinny but i kinda have a belly...
And im starting to pt with my recruiter in the morning(going to the gym and working on upper body) and going to the after noon pt with the rest of the poolees(all cardio)
at the end of the day i wish i had more time to get ready, but it is what it is...
by the way my first IST was total cr@p... i (cr@p...%20i) DEP'd in 20110208
pull ups: 0
crunches: 25
1.5 mile run: 16mins
Thank you for the wishes, and the link ill do some looking into that..

MOS4429
07-13-11, 08:30 PM
I honestly feel a mix of emotions as my shipdate aproches...
and i am skinny but i kinda have a belly...
And im starting to pt with my recruiter in the morning(going to the gym and working on upper body) and going to the after noon pt with the rest of the poolees(all cardio)
at the end of the day i wish i had more time to get ready, but it is what it is...
by the way my first IST was total cr@p... i DEP'd in 20110208
pull ups: 0
crunches: 25
1.5 mile run: 16mins
Thank you for the wishes, and the link ill do some looking into that..

Well, it sounds like you got a case of the jitters as you date arrives, but you are doing the right thing by working out with your recruiter. That upper body strength is important, and if you stick with it religiously, you will make significant gains in 4 weeks.

Don't worry about the belly. Keep up the crunches and situps and running. It will resolve. At your weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Believe me, we all wish we had more time, but fact is, we don't. What is important is how we use the time we have. :)

So, yeah, go check out that thread. Lot's of good stuff there and it will keep you from having to post the same question. :cool:

PooleeHiguera
07-13-11, 08:54 PM
Well, it sounds like you got a case of the jitters as you date arrives, but you are doing the right thing by working out with your recruiter. That upper body strength is important, and if you stick with it religiously, you will make significant gains in 4 weeks.

Don't worry about the belly. Keep up the crunches and situps and running. It will resolve. At your weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

Believe me, we all wish we had more time, but fact is, we don't. What is important is how we use the time we have. :)

So, yeah, go check out that thread. Lot's of good stuff there and it will keep you from having to post the same question. :cool:
haha i most definatly have the gitters, i want to get it over with and get down there, earn my EGA through whatever the Drill instructors have for me. but running is my biggest flaw, i hate it with a passion. I lose my breath rather quickly

MOS4429
07-13-11, 10:21 PM
haha i most definatly have the gitters, i want to get it over with and get down there, earn my EGA through whatever the Drill instructors have for me. but running is my biggest flaw, i hate it with a passion. I lose my breath rather quickly

Hate it with a passion, huh? Guess what, you are about to do your fair share! LOL

But don't worry about it. If you're hitting 12:30 on 1.5, that's 25 if you hold the pace. Seriously, when I went to boot camp, there were no poolees, no working out with your recruiter. You signed, you went. So...when I arrived, most I had ever run was 2 miles. But I did run before, one mile every other night and played 2 weeks of football practice in an allstar game.

You lose your breath because you are weak aerobically. It's called "aerobic deficit," and it is prevalent amongst America's youth as a result of computers, games, not getting outside and running, lack of playground activity when a child, etc. I won't go into it, but if you keep running 3, 4, maybe 5 times a week over the next 4 weeks, and mix it up, you will do fine. Make sure you have REAL running shoes on your feet. Try something like 1 mile monday, 2 on Wed, 1 on Fri, 2 on Sat and the next week go 2, 2.5, 2, 2.5, and the week after 2.5, 3, 2.5, 3, etc. Just run at comfortable pace, and once a week, take one of those days to do some fartleks. Run 5 minutes warm up, and then 60 second medium hard, 60 seconds easy about 5 times (5 med hard and 5 easy) and then 5 minutes cool down run.

When you get to boot camp they're not going to take you out on a 15 mile run. That's for later! LOL. No, I think I heard some recruits say they didn't do much more than 4 maybe 5, but most in area of 3. Initially, it will be 1 to 1.5.

You'll do fine. Be confident and be positive. If you have not gone to that link yet, do so!! :evilgrin:

PooleeHiguera
07-13-11, 11:12 PM
Hate it with a passion, huh? Guess what, you are about to do your fair share! LOL

But don't worry about it. If you're hitting 12:30 on 1.5, that's 25 if you hold the pace. Seriously, when I went to boot camp, there were no poolees, no working out with your recruiter. You signed, you went. So...when I arrived, most I had ever run was 2 miles. But I did run before, one mile every other night and played 2 weeks of football practice in an allstar game.

You lose your breath because you are weak aerobically. It's called "aerobic deficit," and it is prevalent amongst America's youth as a result of computers, games, not getting outside and running, lack of playground activity when a child, etc. I won't go into it, but if you keep running 3, 4, maybe 5 times a week over the next 4 weeks, and mix it up, you will do fine. Make sure you have REAL running shoes on your feet. Try something like 1 mile monday, 2 on Wed, 1 on Fri, 2 on Sat and the next week go 2, 2.5, 2, 2.5, and the week after 2.5, 3, 2.5, 3, etc. Just run at comfortable pace, and once a week, take one of those days to do some fartleks. Run 5 minutes warm up, and then 60 second medium hard, 60 seconds easy about 5 times (5 med hard and 5 easy) and then 5 minutes cool down run.

When you get to boot camp they're not going to take you out on a 15 mile run. That's for later! LOL. No, I think I heard some recruits say they didn't do much more than 4 maybe 5, but most in area of 3. Initially, it will be 1 to 1.5.

You'll do fine. Be confident and be positive. If you have not gone to that link yet, do so!! :evilgrin:
will do, all this is going to be put to use thank you for the knowledge, and the info about how much you run at boot camp takes a lot of my shoulders :)

afraziaaaa
07-14-11, 09:15 AM

Physically, you will be ready to go into training.

Mentally, it doesn't sound like you are ready. Ask your recruiter for a training program and STICK TO IT! That should boost your confidence to where it needs to be.

PooleeHiguera
07-17-11, 05:31 PM
Physically, you will be ready to go into training.

Mentally, it doesn't sound like you are ready. Ask your recruiter for a training program and STICK TO IT! That should boost your confidence to where it needs to be.

Aye Staff Sergeant, i talked to my recruiter a while back about not feeling ready for boot camp and he recommended rolling with him and seeing what he does on a day to day basis, what if i tell him im still not ready to go now? (im shipping out 20110808 )

CplLakota
07-17-11, 07:00 PM
sounds like youve got a major case of the jitters, most of us did. your recruiter should help you get in the right place mentally. The physical part, keep hard at it from now till you go, thats all you can do. BUT, i would honestly say at this point mentally youve got to focus right now. How bad do you want that Title, youve got to self motivant, you can do it or you would have never sign edup right. good luck and see you in 3 months.

afraziaaaa
07-18-11, 09:19 AM
Aye Staff Sergeant, i talked to my recruiter a while back about not feeling ready for boot camp and he recommended rolling with him and seeing what he does on a day to day basis, what if i tell him im still not ready to go now? (im shipping out 20110808 )

You're not going to like this answer, but you need to suck it up. There are two ways to live your life. You can be paralyzed by fear, or you can act out of courage. Courage does not mean that you are not afraid, it just means that you are willing to walk through your fear. No matter how much time you take, you will never NOT experience a shock when you get to boot camp. If you are trying to prevent the shock or lessen the mental blow, then you are wasting your time. Get the word "can't" out of your vocabulary, becase can't = won't!

Reach down into yourself, grab your spine and your intestinal fortitude and march forward future Marine. Boot camp is only the beginning.

thewookie
07-18-11, 09:37 AM
You're not going to like this answer, but you need to suck it up. There are two ways to live your life. You can be paralyzed by fear, or you can act out of courage. Courage does not mean that you are not afraid, it just means that you are willing to walk through your fear. No matter how much time you take, you will never NOT experience a shock when you get to boot camp. If you are trying to prevent the shock or lessen the mental blow, then you are wasting your time. Get the word "can't" out of your vocabulary, becase can't = won't!

Reach down into yourself, grab your spine and your intestinal fortitude and march forward future Marine. Boot camp is only the beginning.

Well said. Read it again, poolee.

If it was easy to be a Marine everybody would be. You have a shot of a lifetime. But, you are going to get your butt kicked for 13 weeks before you start the journey.

Have fun, I'd give anything to be in your shoes and go through it again -- your life is about to change.