PDA

View Full Version : Question for Marines...

ne14
07-12-11, 03:44 PM
Hi Im a new poolee here. I am supposed to ship next year but I have a dilemma. I am already contracted in to go to MCRD San Diego next February but I decided to weigh my options since I have taken some college courses. I went and talked to the local OSO and I was told that I qualify for an application to the PLC course except I need to raise my GPA. If I take classes this fall and raise my GPA would it be beneficial to go officer or should I stick with my contract and go enlisted? I know getting a commission after boot camp is very difficult with very slim odds. My dad is a mustang in the US Navy and has already had talks with me after I signed for the Marines. Is there anyone out there who could help me out? I know the benefits of being an officer outweigh a lot, but I feel like Id be turning my back on my unit here if I decide to take the officer route. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
NE

lamanognr86
07-12-11, 05:54 PM
It def helps to understand the enlisted side first before becoming an officer in the Marine Corps.

ne14
07-12-11, 06:51 PM
Thank you Sgt. The advice is greatly appreciated.

03Mike
07-12-11, 07:26 PM
I guess the main thing is to ask yourself, truthfully, why do you think you want to become an officer?

The answer can help us give you advice and help you decide.

The life of an officer can be significantly different from the life of an enlisted Marine - some better, some not so much. For a good officer, it is a significant responsibility, and the job never ends - and is never good enough. It can be rewarding, but it can be soul crushing too - especially for a combat arms officer. So, at this point, not knowing much about you, I'd advise you to think through it carefully.

You can start down that road (raising your GPA) without committing to going to OCS or giving up on enlisting.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

ne14
07-13-11, 11:35 AM
Well, I have the right reasons I think. I know that Im a leader, Ive proven that to myself and I have the awards and other eye candy crap for that from school. Part of my decision has to do with the fact that ive seen the enlisted side of life from other friends and family members and it just doesnt seem like the right fit for me. My dad told me once that "at some point your going to hate the alphabet at boot camp because its going to put you next to some guy who barely got in and now you have to pay for his stupidity because he cant put hospital corners on his bed. Not to say that you wont deal with this at OCS, but the crowd there is of the smarter bunch."

SSgtRSD
07-13-11, 12:15 PM
There is a big difference between book smarts, street smarts/common sense, and experience. If you go in with the attitude that you are too good for being enlisted and become an officer, you will fail. It is a different job description. Upon hypothetically graduating from OCS, TBS, and your MOS school you will find yourself paired with a SNCO, probably holding the billet of Plt Sgt. You had just spent the last four years in college, with a year of training in the Corps. That SNCO has probably had 8+ years if real Marine Corps experience. Please tell him that you wanted to become an officer because you were much smarter than tne enlisted recruits. The officers that have the most success are those who use their SNCOs and NCOs experience and listen and learn from them. And yes in boot camp, just like in OCS, and if you ever end up in the fleet, Marines are taught that we are a collective group. We are not individuals and we will succeed as a group or fail as a group. It only takes one poorly trained OFP Marine to negatively impact a unit. Those can be found whichever path you take.

I was accepted to The Citadel and left for the summer program three days following high school graduation. Like you I battled between being Enlisted and an Officer. My biggest motivation to withdraw and enlist was due to the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. However a large pull, as was already mentioned here and also what your father did, I knew I would be a much better officer having already been enlisted. So I enlisted. Through the years though I found that the Enlisted side is for me. NCOs and SNCOs are the ones with direct relations day in and say out with the Marines. While the officers are in meetings, writing orders, revamping and creating plans and policies, we are with the Marines.

This could go on forever. There are pro/cons to each side. You need to find out what you want out of the Marine Corps and how you want to go about it.

Disclaimer: No offense was intended towards any officers in the creation if this post.

ne14
07-14-11, 02:22 PM
In no way was I meaning to say that Officer is more intelligent to Enlisted. I know Poolees and Enlisted Marines who are much smarter than myself.