PDA

View Full Version : Getting referrals.....

IHaveEGA843
07-10-11, 05:42 PM
So how do y'all go about getting others to even step foot in your local RS or call your Recruiter? I've tried and many will say, "Oh **** that man or naw the military isnt for me."

I've had 2 bites with a possible that I gave my Recruiters name and number to but its hard to get people to come in.

Give me some tips!

PNW2011
07-11-11, 02:40 AM
Yeah samsies for me..

Do they actually have to ship to boot for it to count, or if they're in the DEP is that all I need? Also do they have to be at YOUR rs or is anyone good? I was buying fireworks last week and I saw a fat kid who looked old enough wearing a Marine lanyard, was going to track him down but lost him the crowd.

IHaveEGA843
07-11-11, 06:29 AM
I really dont know and lol @ the trying to enlist the fat body......I wouldn't try enlisting someone with weigh issues since they'll have to lose the weight before they can even contract in.

Honcho1010
07-11-11, 07:31 AM
Haha, weird this will come up. A Chef Warren Officer and Gunnery Sergeant was at our last pool busting our balls about getting referrals, mainly females being our only one is gone. I have one guy who cant pass the ASVAB for ****, another guy chose Navy because of his dad and another...well, you all get the point. I need one more for PFC, **** i might put up a billboard.

Nj St Of Mind
07-11-11, 01:39 PM
I need 1 more for PFC as well, the kid that I got a referral from has been bringing in more people than me and he only has 1 referral as well and I have nothing and he already was willing to join, so I got a referral from him just by being acquainted.

But it definitely isn't as easy as most people think, I'm hoping I catch another one who's already willing to join and just befriend him and get a referral that way, I think thats my best bet. But to just randomly convince someone who isn't even close to interested, I doubt it'll happen.

Still, my father told me getting PFC is bs anyways, I mean idk how to take that considering the emphasis they put on it, but he was a Marine and I take his word over any ones, especially since he is my father first.

Cheers

PNW2011
07-11-11, 04:17 PM
Well for me I could possible see E-5 my first enlistment if I came out of boot camp a PFC... it puts you like 6 months ahead, you're eligible for Lcpl after 9 months of TIG as a pfc

MunkyVsRobot
07-11-11, 04:45 PM
If you can get PFC before boot, try to get referrals after boot too, you can get lcpl after about 4 months of being in the Marine Corps if you can get 2 more after boot.

Nj St Of Mind
07-11-11, 05:01 PM
Well for me I could possible see E-5 my first enlistment if I came out of boot camp a PFC... it puts you like 6 months ahead, you're eligible for Lcpl after 9 months of TIG as a pfc

Ok do that then and let me know how it goes, people hear stories of people getting E-5 during their first enlistment and automatically think they can do it too. I'm not putting you down, just understand its still very unlikely, if not you'd hear everyone doing it. Still put your mind to it and go for it.

Whether I get PFC or not, my main goal is getting prepared for boot first and earning that Title I've wanted since I was 12 years old.

Buhler
07-11-11, 05:51 PM
i'm also working on getting my 2nd referral. i've been talking to the recruiters about how they do it and they pretty much said all you have to do is get people in the door, and talk to people that dont really have plans after high school (or dont have very many currently), then just get their number and give it to your recruiter and they'll handle it from there.

from what i've seen, going to parties and stuff where kids like to fight and think they're all tough is a good place to start. i know the community college around where i live is also not a bad place. theres also just doing your own thing and talking to anyone you see wearing some Marine Corps swag

PNW2011
07-11-11, 06:00 PM
Ok do that then and let me know how it goes, people hear stories of people getting E-5 during their first enlistment and automatically think they can do it too. I'm not putting you down, just understand its still very unlikely, if not you'd hear everyone doing it. Still put your mind to it and go for it.

Whether I get PFC or not, my main goal is getting prepared for boot first and earning that Title I've wanted since I was 12 years old.

I have a 5 year contract, in the intel community, 5-6 year ssgt's aren't unheard of in the 02 field. The cutting scores are typically pretty low.

Eagle03
07-11-11, 06:05 PM
Im going into Combat Support and my recruiter had the same MOS. He got E-5 in 3 years. Me being physically fit and being a hardworker, I know I can do the same thing.

MunkyVsRobot
07-11-11, 06:30 PM
I have a 5 year contract, in the intel community, 5-6 year ssgt's aren't unheard of in the 02 field. The cutting scores are typically pretty low.

I hear quite the opposite, (though I am not arguing with you id like to see Sgt SSgt before I have to maybe Re-Enlist) I have been speaking with an 0231 Marine and she says that it isnt as super easy as it used to be, she said you used to get promoted just for breathing. As long as you do all your MCI's your Pros and Cons are good and you stay up on your PT it should be attainable. If you turn into a $hitbird then i doubt youll make it to CPL.

PNW2011
07-11-11, 07:12 PM
I hear quite the opposite, (though I am not arguing with you id like to see Sgt SSgt before I have to maybe Re-Enlist) I have been speaking with an 0231 Marine and she says that it isnt as super easy as it used to be, she said you used to get promoted just for breathing. As long as you do all your MCI's your Pros and Cons are good and you stay up on your PT it should be attainable. If you turn into a $hitbird then i doubt youll make it to CPL.

Yes true as in all non 03 MOS's it seems, the Marine Corps is in drawdown mode as we speak. That being said cutting scores for 02's seems to still be pretty moderate compared to others that have taken a pretty bad hit. In 5 years from now the situation could change. I like to remain an optimist, it could come down to a matter of months for promotion before my 5 years is done, being 6 months or so ahead can't hurt.

E-3 to E-4 right now is 1638, and from what i understand that's relatively low, however E-4 to E-5 is like 1880

JWJohnsonIII
07-11-11, 08:42 PM
Soon2, I can't tell you how many times the SNCOIC has chewed me out about not getting referrals, but I'm a college grad. All of my friends are either moved away, unqualified, or uninterested in the military, especially the Marine Corps. That being said, I place my recruiter's card (with my name and number on the back) around stores, on mirrors in fitting rooms, in the pockets of pants. Basically, wherever I can think of that a person 18-29 years old would be found. Still haven't had any luck, but I'm trying.

PNW2011
07-11-11, 11:54 PM
Really? You guys get chewed out over referrals? Sounds like your RS isn't doing very well. Your job isn't to do the recruiter's work for them. It's an incentive, it shouldn't be required from you.

That being said our Sergeant Major as FinallyDEPed knows made sure to remind us in his speech that we should be looking for people to "bring into our world".

93Reaper
07-12-11, 08:05 AM
I've got one referal right now, got screwed out of my other one. My new recruiter came in after i referred the kid that i havn't gotten credit for yet so he didnt give it to me. I guess my friend did really well at MEPS and got the attention of SgtMaj Murano. I got two other kids I'm working with now to get them doing their pullups to go to MEPs, about to meet one of them in an hour for our workout.

IHaveEGA843
07-12-11, 12:46 PM
Well one of the Recruiters gave me some advice yesterday....

"Act like you're spittin game at a chick......"

Its easier for me to pull females then to pull men into joining the Corps......WAY easier. I grabbed some referral cards and hopefully I can have ATLEAST 5 fill out the back so I can give them to my recruiter.

PNW2011
07-12-11, 03:08 PM
Yeah... I don't think any ladies I know of that would ever consider enlistment, they're all heading off to college..

dotKev
07-12-11, 09:35 PM
Sometimes if I'm up for it, I'll head to the mall and try to talk to some prospects (damn it's hard to pick people out) and attempt to get them to fill out a contact card and have my recruiter call them. Got one card done today so I felt somewhat accomplished lol.

So far, 0 referrals however, and with only 27 days left before boot, it's not looking good haha.

IHaveEGA843
07-12-11, 10:12 PM
Yea man its hard as **** especially when people have the mindset the do of the Marine Corps being war fighters 24/7.

Its a great image to uphold but it scares people off from thinking about enlisting in.

Sure isn't like trying to get the draws off a woman......1 night vs 4-6 yrs is a hell of a difference to try to convience someone to do

Redsfan293
07-12-11, 11:45 PM
Sure isn't like trying to get the draws off a woman......1 night vs 4-6 yrs is a hell of a difference to try to convience someone to do
Haha That's a pretty damn good comparison. :D

Shakespeare
07-13-11, 12:30 AM
The guy who referred me was clever...he filled out cards for my friend and I even though both of us were planning on joining anyways :)

robbyj
07-13-11, 01:57 PM
Yea man its hard as **** especially when people have the mindset the do of the Marine Corps being war fighters 24/7.

Its a great image to uphold but it scares people off from thinking about enlisting in.

"I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.
General Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 17 May 1974 "

Just remind them that there are more jobs than running around and killing, what I say is that the Marine Corps is like a college that pays your, they teach you a job and give you skills for the rest of your life, while getting paid (mention that 2-3 times haha)

IHaveEGA843
07-13-11, 02:59 PM
I bet if I had some dress blues on getting referrals would be cake........

Might start blackmailing folks....."yo this so and so.....you still sell weed? Oh ok well I'm going to dime you in.......but......if you sign up for the Corps and enlist I won't"

Naw I could never do that.......I don't find snitcing just

CrispyGremlins
07-15-11, 11:17 AM
I got my second referral a few weeks ago. Honestly you just have to carry yourself as you see marines carry themselves. People will look at you differently and think "Wow, he's not even a marine yet and he's already changed so much."

That, and telling people it's the coolest stuff on earth to be a marine helps a bunch. Just big it up without lying too much.

IHaveEGA843
07-15-11, 07:57 PM
I've always carried myself in a respectful manner and I don't think I could lie to somebody to get them in even if it was a little lie.

I'll keep trying until I ship out

DudefromDiego
07-16-11, 01:04 AM
Yeah... I don't think any ladies I know of that would ever consider enlistment, they're all heading off to college..

Yeah, I had one who has dancing around the idea, and then someone showed her a picture of a female Marine missing her legs and that pretty much destroyed any and all chances of getting her to join. Not one female from my school enlisted. Not one. But then again, I went to a school known for hippies, so that kinda makes sense.:thumbdown

IHaveEGA843
07-16-11, 10:16 AM
Hippies huh?

Should've told them in afghan they have massive amounts of the ganja over there......enlistment at your RS probably would've jumped 50%

Allenl0968
07-16-11, 10:18 PM
Hippies huh?

Should've told them in afghan they have massive amounts of the ganja over there......enlistment at your RS probably would've jumped 50%

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I should have tried that! I got my first one a few days ago. One down, One to go!

Buhler
07-17-11, 10:53 AM
hahaha "enlist in the Marine Corps, you get a free trip to afghanistan where you get to shoot guns and smoke weed"

thats how i'll get my 2nd right there.

IHaveEGA843
07-17-11, 07:34 PM
Well I "may" have my first one, hes kinda iffy but he gave me his name and number to shoot it towards my Recruiter. I tried this other guy and he said he was already DQ'd for lost of hearing in one ear due to a tumor.

I'm asking everybody who I think looks like they can handle it. I know some guys are like "why is this mutha looking at me like that".....

This is the most I've ever gone up to randon men and talked to them.....seems gay but I have a goal I need to have done

IHaveEGA843
07-17-11, 07:38 PM
My girl was laughing at some of the replies I got when I asked some people.....

Its usually a smirk while looking off to the side followed with a "I dont think or a hell no"......

Its funny how some people reply when they ask me for what branch. I bet if I was to say Air Force or Army they'd give it a shot but when they hear Marine Corps its already shot down.

My girl said it right though....."I guess those guys already know they wont be able to handle the Marines"

DudefromDiego
07-17-11, 11:21 PM
Hippies huh?

+1:thumbup:

Eagle03
07-23-11, 09:54 PM
Saw this guy about to walk in to the army RS and I asked him what he wanted to do in the army? He said he was gun ho and wanted infantry, so I told him the Marine Corp has a way better school of infantry than the army, and if he wanted a better chance of surviving in Afghanistan he would join the Marines and i got a refferal just like that. :)

Nj St Of Mind
07-23-11, 09:59 PM
Saw this guy about to walk in to the army RS and I asked him what he wanted to do in the army? He said he was gun ho and wanted infantry, so I told him the Marine Corp has a way better school of infantry than the army, and if he wanted a better chance of surviving in Afghanistan he would join the Marines and i got a refferal just like that. :)

Pics or it didn't happen.

But honestly if someone told me that, I'd definitely believe it. Coming from me though, that doesn't say much about your referral.

IHaveEGA843
07-23-11, 10:36 PM
LOL I tried pulling people at the hotel at MEPS.

Some kids had Army/Air Force Special Forces contracts so I know they were'nt giving those up so yea......If you really did that then congrats