PDA

View Full Version : Last minute boot camp advice?

Pvt Hardy
07-09-11, 07:25 PM
hi so im finally about to leave for MCRD San Diego on july 18th i was wondering if anyone had any last minute bootcamp advice? id rather hear it from a marine themselves instead of a book written by some guy who's never been through it.. thanks ahead for all of your advice!

Phantom Blooper
07-09-11, 07:32 PM
LISTEN....YELL LOUDLY....BE FAST.....STAY SQUARED AWAY!

The rest you will have to see and experience for yourself....

Good luck....hope to see you back as a Marine.

chulaivet1966
07-09-11, 07:34 PM
i was wondering if anyone had any last minute bootcamp advice?

Ok...I'll give you my default response to this inquiry:

Keep your mouth shut
Keep your eyes and ears open
Set the best example in mind, spirit and attitude among your fellow boots
Always give 110%

Do not embarrass us weed hopper.

Good luck....

EDIT:..oh...and what Phantom said.

TunTvrnWarrior
07-09-11, 10:14 PM
When told to get somewhere by your Drill Instructor, dont be the poor slob who is last to get there ever.

Dont think a day ahead or weeks ahead. Take each day as it comes and give it your all. Put the concept of time out of your mind entirely.

When you are holding your weapon for drill or any other reason.... Hold it like you own it. My Drill Instructor aquainted my solar plexis with the butt plate of the M16A1 Service Rifle because I didnt hold it like I owned it as he was correcting my position.

Oh, and what Chulai and Phantom said as well.

chulaivet1966
07-09-11, 10:18 PM
When told to get somewhere by your Drill Instructor, dont be the poor slob who is last to get there, ever.

Excellent tip!:thumbup::)

Carry on.....

SGT7477
07-10-11, 11:40 AM
Don't fvck up our yellow footprints, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Tennessee Top
07-10-11, 12:15 PM
This is from personal experience...never EVER leave your footlocker unlocked. Walking into the squadbay and seeing YOUR garbage slung from one end to the other is one of the worst feelings in the world. But, at least you don't have to worry about getting the wind knocked out of you like I did!

chulaivet1966
07-10-11, 12:35 PM
But, at least you don't have to worry about getting the wind knocked out of you like I did!

The good old days.:)
Well....from what I gather those disciplinary tactics are long over although I might be incorrect.
Of course, that's is a thread of it's own.
Personally, I think those 'tactics' made us tougher but I've wrong in the past.

More coffee....back to topic....

Tennessee Top
07-10-11, 12:59 PM
Well....from what I gather those disciplinary tactics are long over although I might be incorrect.

Those tactics are long gone Wayne. Today, the DI's take an oath in front of their Company Commander to never lay a hand on the impressionable youth. Even cursing in front of a recruit is frowned upon but I can tell you from my recent visit to MCRD PI that still happens at times...heaven forbid.

chulaivet1966
07-10-11, 02:37 PM
Those tactics are long gone Wayne. Today, the DI's take an oath in front of their Company Commander to never lay a hand on the impressionable youth. Even cursing in front of a recruit is frowned upon but I can tell you from my recent visit to MCRD PI that still happens at times...heaven forbid.

I don't know....I know it's cliche but this just seems like another invasion of PC into the military and it's training traditions.
This isn't the fvcking cub scouts.
We're are to be toughened up, mentally and physically prepared for far more profound experiences than cake bakes with den mothers.
I'm just speaking from my own dogmatic opinion on this subject:)

Sorry...not meant to hijack....back to topic...

Old Marine
07-10-11, 03:10 PM
Changes are fine, but Marine Corps Recruit Training seems to be more like a Nursery School these days. Really glad my time on the field came to an end when it did. Way too much PC these days.

lamanognr86
07-10-11, 03:20 PM
Those tactics are still in use. I had my face slammed into the footlocker for looking at the DI. I ended up with a bloody nose. He told me to wipe that sh*t off my face and carry-on. Good ol' days.

Pvt Hardy
07-10-11, 11:45 PM
thanks for all the great advice.. i think the Drill instructors should still be allowed to hit and cuss at us in my opinion it makes us stronger and last time i checked marines is supposed to be some intense **** not like the army who has stress cards and the drill insrtuctors say please to them... im glad i chose the marines its going to not only toughen me up but im gonna be the best of the best taking on a challenge that very few had the balls to take on i dont plan on ****ing up but lets face it theres no way to avoid it im gonna mess up am i gonna be one of those super sloppy recruits NO i refuse to be im gonna leave next week a simple poolee.. and come back the best a united states marine

TunTvrnWarrior
07-10-11, 11:55 PM
Hardy, if your Drill Instructor is dumbass enough to make you bleed by knocking your face into the wall or a footlocker, he deserves to get thrown in the brig and does not rate your respect (but still respect the jerk's rank). Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, immediatly demand to request mast.

I can understand "Hands On" training when it has a purpose and when it is used with discretion.

Pvt Hardy
07-11-11, 03:04 AM
Hardy, if your Drill Instructor is dumbass enough to make you bleed by knocking your face into the wall or a footlocker, he deserves to get thrown in the brig and does not rate your respect (but still respect the jerk's rank). Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, immediatly demand to request mast.

I can understand "Hands On" training when it has a purpose and when it is used with discretion.

i can understand that too im fine with hands on training like MCMAP i learn best by example but if the drill instructor is hitting someone just to blow of steam then yes they do need to sit and rot in the brig i dont believe in abusing others just cuz you had a bad day if one hits me he better have the means too otherwise im going to have to report him cuz someone needs to stop it before it gets too bad i dont see myself getting hit though i just wanna go there and blend in and pass and serve amongst all of you guys and many other marines active and inactive

Lisa 23
07-11-11, 06:49 AM
Not to come across like a smart a$$ here, and this may come in handy while at boot camp, but you may want to use some proper sentence structure, like capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalize the letter "I", punctuation marks were needed, and periods at the end of sentences. No one likes looooong run-on sentences like you have in your last 2 posts.
And capitalize Marines!!!

Good luck to you on your journey to become a United States Marine. :thumbup:

Pvt Hardy
07-11-11, 11:58 AM
Not to come across like a smart a$$ here, and this may come in handy while at boot camp, but you may want to use some proper sentence structure, like capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalize the letter "I", punctuation marks were needed, and periods at the end of sentences. No one likes looooong run-on sentences like you have in your last 2 posts.

Thanks and I will start using better sentence structure just one of the many things i need to work on

SgtPetty
07-11-11, 12:28 PM
Drink Water!

SgtPetty
07-11-11, 12:29 PM

Took the words right out my mouth!

Apache
07-11-11, 01:59 PM
Good fortune to you Grasshopper
Sound advice has been issued,how you use it is yours to determine

Keep us posted on your journey(probably after he fact)

You cannot comprehend what you are about to embark upon !

MOS4429
07-11-11, 07:32 PM

Summer of '09 my family and I took a vacation to So. Cal, and I thought it might be interesting to tour MCRD San Diego with my kids, show them the yellow footprints, etc. I contacted the provost marshal, and no dice, cannot get on the base. So I emailed the base Sergeant Major and he called me the same day. Long story short, he personnally got us on base, met us at CG headquarters, introduced us to an SDI who would show us the base. He brought over a golf cart that seated about 8 and took us on a 4 to 5 hour tour. I expected to see the outskirts because they are not going to take us into the barracks area and pugil sticks, etc. Wrong!

We drove smack through the middle of bayonet training. One recruit turned to do a thrust and literally thrust his bayonet (rubber bayonet) into the golf cart. We went into receiving, through barracks, every aspect.

So...we go to the little PX there where recruits can buy new skivvies, shave cream, or whatever, and my daughter asks the SDI if they really thrash the recruits. He smirks, goes over to two DI's who pick some unsuspecting swinging d!ck out of formation, and tear him a new you know what. They had him up, down, back in formation, out, in, out, in, out, down, up, were nose to nose in his face while the other was in the back chewing his ear. Fingers were pressed against his forehead, nose, and language was mild expletives, but no heavy stuff.

So...yeah, this was all for show, and the recruit...well, he should thank us for a good workout! ;)

But it sort of gave me some assurance that they have not gone all boy scout.

Does thumping occur behind closed doors? Not supposed to, but DI's are humans, too, and I know it occurs, because unfortunately, every once in a while you hear about a DI getting busted.

MOS4429
07-11-11, 07:42 PM
hi so im finally about to leave for MCRD San Diego on july 18th i was wondering if anyone had any last minute bootcamp advice? id rather hear it from a marine themselves instead of a book written by some guy who's never been through it.. thanks ahead for all of your advice!

You know, sometimes I think if you know everything before you go, it defeats the purpose of boot camp. There still needs to exist the element of surprise.

That said, just be smart, listen, process, and don't freak out. Don't take it personal. DI's have a job to do, they are going to do it to the best of their ability.

I learned that when we had time to kill and were assigned to clean the head. As a squad leader, it was my responsibility. Every time the DI came in to inspect, he would rub the freakin lead metal under the sink and come up with a gray finger and then stick it in my face. I'd tear into my squad, clean the crap out of it, and he'd come in and inspect and do the same thing. Well guess what, no amount of cleaning was going to make the lead not leave gray, and I was freaking out trying to get this thing polished when I realized we were never going to pass. Eventually he just called us out, we lined up and marched to chow.

Don't lock your knees when standing at attention. Doing so can make you pass out, and it ain't fun passing out on your first night, going to sickbay for stitches, and throwing up the rest of the night due to a concussion.

And at the risk of sounding stupid, enjoy it! It will be the hardest thing you have done, but there are times I thought boot camp was a blast. Just be careful not to show that or your DI will make sure it's not a blast! And there are a lot of funny things that happen, too.

Everything has a purpose, even when you don't understand it. Just remember that.

Good luck!

MarineCorps0300
07-11-11, 07:44 PM
Speed.
Volume.
Intensity.

Pvt Hardy
07-11-11, 08:22 PM
Summer of '09 my family and I took a vacation to So. Cal, and I thought it might be interesting to tour MCRD San Diego with my kids, show them the yellow footprints, etc. I contacted the provost marshal, and no dice, cannot get on the base. So I emailed the base Sergeant Major and he called me the same day. Long story short, he personnally got us on base, met us at CG headquarters, introduced us to an SDI who would show us the base. He brought over a golf cart that seated about 8 and took us on a 4 to 5 hour tour. I expected to see the outskirts because they are not going to take us into the barracks area and pugil sticks, etc. Wrong!

We drove smack through the middle of bayonet training. One recruit turned to do a thrust and literally thrust his bayonet (rubber bayonet) into the golf cart. We went into receiving, through barracks, every aspect.

So...we go to the little PX there where recruits can buy new skivvies, shave cream, or whatever, and my daughter asks the SDI if they really thrash the recruits. He smirks, goes over to two DI's who pick some unsuspecting swinging d!ck out of formation, and tear him a new you know what. They had him up, down, back in formation, out, in, out, in, out, down, up, were nose to nose in his face while the other was in the back chewing his ear. Fingers were pressed against his forehead, nose, and language was mild expletives, but no heavy stuff.

So...yeah, this was all for show, and the recruit...well, he should thank us for a good workout! ;)

Does thumping occur behind closed doors? Not supposed to, but DI's are humans, too, and I know it occurs, because unfortunately, every once in a while you hear about a DI getting busted.

haha thats funny but iplan on gettig thrashed at least onece like i said its gonna happen and as far as bootcamp being funny i know it will be i love hearing my recruitersand the liasons telling their funny stories from bootcamp and they can go on for hours with those stories. i dont plan on taking anything the drill instructors say personally but inside im gonna be laughing (my face wont show it) because i plan on having llots offunin bootcamp with shooting, MCMAP, and hell even during the crucible i plan on havin some fun! thanks alot for all the great advice everyone i will definitly remember all ihave learned today and yesterday

chulaivet1966
07-11-11, 08:29 PM

That's a very cool story and thanks for chiming in.
Yes...that recruit owes you big time.

For the record...I'm no unjust hard ass that would take pleasure in inflicting pain on recruits because I didn't get laid the previous evening.
It's the invasion of PC 'ness that sticks in my craw.
You did put me at some ease regarding this issue.:)
I am told it's no problem getting on Pendelton or MCRD these days provided you have a DD214 and valid drivers' license.
I could be incorrect on that.
I really do want to visit MCRD and slowly take in all of it again and I'm about 8 hours away....I'd hate that drive though.

Carry on.....

Pvt Hardy
07-11-11, 08:35 PM

For the record...I'm no unjust hard ass that would take pleasure in inflicting pain on recruits because I didn't get laid the previous evening.
I am told it's no problem getting on Pendelton or MCRD these days provided you have a DD214 and valid drivers' license.
I really do want to visit MCRD and slowly take in all of it again and I'm about 8 hours away....I'd hate that drive though.

Carry on.....

i just asked my friend who just got back from bootcamp from MCRD San Diego and he said the drill instructors were very good about keeping their hands off the recruits no issues from what he told me.. their language though is pretty heavy but im fine with the language

MOS4429
07-11-11, 08:42 PM

Carry on.....

I can't say I take pleasure in inflicting pain on recruits either, but in this instance, he was just doing an advance set of calesthetics!! I have a 14 year old son who wants to join the Marine Corps, and out of all that we saw that day, I think that got his attention the most.

I am about 12 hours out of MCRD, but we hooked it up with a vacation and taking another daughter to college.

If you do go down, you might try going to the MCRD SD site and emailing the current SgtMaj, explain your situation, and who knows, maybe he'll hook you up like we were. I truly was expecting just a cursory view, but they way out did themselves, including lunch on the water toward the back marina.

He lead us into the tank where they do water qual, and the SDI was ahead of us, so I have 5 daughters, one son, but 4 daughters with us that day. We walk in, and the gunny sees these four girls walk in and he bolts out of his duty hut going, "What the (exercises restraint)", and I yell, "SSgt Rodriguez, I think the gunny back here wants to know why a bunch of civilians is walking into his pool." He says, "Yeah, you might want to say that." But she SSgt Rodriguez popped his head around the corner, the gunny goes, "Oh! They're with you!" end of story. I am not sure who the SDI SSgt Rodriguez was, but he commanded respect everywhere we went, including the captain inside the pool who came over.

Anyway...during this vacation, we went to the zoo, Disneyland, a bunch of other amusement areas and beaches, and it is MCRD that holds the best memory for all of my kids! :cool:

chulaivet1966
07-11-11, 08:56 PM
I am about 12 hours out of MCRD, MCRD that holds the best memory for all of my kids! :cool:

Haha...hope your son doesn't change his mind.

Thanks for the tips and other good info as I contemplate the trip.
I envy that you were able to have the leisure time and they accommodated you so well.
Got me thinking now.

Time for a :beer:....belly up....I'm buying.

EDIT: to be clear, 'the pain infliction' I was referring to was more in the physical sense vs. the verbal.

Pvt Hardy
07-11-11, 08:58 PM
is MCRD very hard to get into even if you have military ID?
it sounds like a big process toevenget on there

Tennessee Top
07-11-11, 09:10 PM
I was just at MCRD PI last month and had no problems driving aboard base but I do have a valid DOD decal on my vehicle. The digital sign approaching the gate said 100% ID check but they waved us through half the time.

We did have to walk through metal detectors (just like at the airport) to get into the All Weather Training Facility for family day and again to get into the parade deck bleachers for graduation ceremonies. The lines we waited in were orderly and moved quickly.

MOS4429
07-12-11, 10:34 AM

Don't worry, you'll have no problem at all. They'll welcome you with open arms!!!:marine:

Old Marine
07-12-11, 11:42 AM

Don't know about Pleasure Island, but just about anyone is able to get onto MCRD, San Deigo. It is the showplace of Recruit Training. They do have drug dogs at the gates for shakedowns once in a while.:evilgrin:

Pvt Hardy
07-12-11, 06:09 PM
okay cool i will let my family know that. i cant wait im out of here this weekend ive been waiting 17 years to become a Marine and its finally happening

Lisa 23
07-12-11, 06:18 PM
okay cool i will let my family know that. i cant wait im out of here this weekend ive been waiting 17 years to become a Marine and its finally happening

Seems like you forgot some advice I gave you a few posts back.......(post #16).

Pvt Hardy
07-12-11, 07:15 PM
Seems like you forgot some advice I gave you a few posts back.......(post #16).

Punctuation, right im sorry i need to get used to typing proper wont happen again.

MOS4429
07-12-11, 08:14 PM
Punctuation, right im sorry i need to get used to typing proper wont happen again.

LOL! Won't happen again? Ha, good one.

Punctuation. Right. I'm sorry. I need to get used to typing proper. Won't happen again.

Son, you're not texting anymore!!

Red Patch 1345
07-12-11, 08:44 PM
Hardy!

Listen to all of these Devil Dogs on what they have to say and soak it in. Most of all have faith in yourself and stay motivated all the way through and you will join our ranks. Good luck to you and I miss San Diego and that was 17 years ago for me :D

MOS4429
07-13-11, 10:26 AM
One last thought on this subj, Hardy. When you go to the rifle range, pay attention to your instructors, and don't squander your snapping in time. It is boring as H, but in my opinion is one of the critical keys to successful shooting when you hit the range. Listen to your PMI's (hopefully you will get a good one). You can ace your PT, score high in all your subjs, etc., and then go unq on the range? Don't want that to happen.

SGTBedbury
07-13-11, 11:02 AM
Read all these posts and learn from experience. Be loud, be motivated, be quick, and do what you're told to do, when you're told to do it, and how you're told to do it. No matter what, you're gonna mess up and get punished. Do not take anything personally and above all, stay foced on the goal. It will be worth it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Sizemore
09-26-11, 12:04 AM
i understand the " non hands on" approach, and i know now they have mothers of america putting some stress on bootcamp , at least they did at san diego , things i didnt really grasp when i was in boot , i had a drill instructor i swore hated me and i him , but u just got to understand every second of hell they put u thru is cause they truely honestly care bout u and the guys around u , now i tell u this if i ever seen my DI again i would proudly be honored to shake his hand and tell him thanks for preparing me for life and war