PDA

View Full Version : Monsters of the sky visit local air show

thedrifter
10-24-03, 06:09 AM
Monsters of the sky visit local air show
Submitted by: 12th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 20031014172854
Story by Sgt. David J. Hercher

12TH MARINE CORPS DISTRICT, SAN DIEGO(August 2003) -- Marines from Recruiting Substation San Mateo spent the day at a different kind of air show recently - the 4th annual Vertical Challenge Air Show at the San Carlos Airport in San Carlos, Calif.

Unlike most air show events, this one lacked one very important element - planes. The air show only featured helicopters of all shapes and sizes. It also offered another unique opportunity to ticket holders - a chance to get out of the hot sun and tour the largest indoor aviation museum in California, the Hiller Aviation Museum that is home to over a century worth of various types of aircraft.

The air show also offered interactive helicopter demonstrations of both military and civilian helicopters. Remote control helicopters were also displayed as well as more than 51 static displays.

"The Vertical Challenge is an air show with a specific purpose behind it aside from entertainment," said spokesman Willie Turner. "To show and educate people about helicopters and how these machines affect their day-to-day lives from search and rescue to news and traffic."

This year's theme, affectionately dubbed "Monsters of the Sky," paid homage to the machines that directly affected the lives of the men who fought in Vietnam.

But the Marines had their own monster of the sky in the mix, an AH-1W Cobra helicopter from Marine Helicopter Training Squadron-303, based at Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton, Calif. The cobra was piloted by 1stLt. Miguel A. Pena, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, HMT-303, who assisted local Marines in the recruiting effort by giving tours of the AH-1W.

"My grandson is fascinated with all these helicopters," said J. McDole, of four-year-old grandson James McKoy. "It is good to see the services out here interacting with the community because it gives families a chance to see some of the opportunities the military can provide."

Meanwhile, as Pena was giving tours of the AH-1W Cobra helicopter, the Marine recruiters had their hands full with over 200 participants of all ages who took the Marine Corps Chin-up Challenge and ran through the inflatable obstacle course.

For the past few years, the recruiters had the inflatable 20-foot drill instructor on the roof of the museum prior to the air show. "It was visible to the rush hour traffic along the Bayshore Freeway for the entire week, and was a good way to help attract people to our show," said Denis B. Dineen, former Marine and one of the museum's 655 volunteer docents.

Last year, air show officials had in excess of over 8,000 attendees. This year, with the help of the Marines, Army, Coast Guard and Air Force, the air show exceeded that number said Dineen.

"The patriotism of the public toward our military here at the museum has been phenomenal," said Dineen. "Next year we hope to make the Vertical Challenge a two-day event, and have the Marines bring a CH-53 out and do a rappel or SPIE (Special Patrol Insertion Extraction) rigging demo."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/6B129626D5FF775885256DBF007600D6?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

benny rutledge
10-24-03, 12:07 PM
Roger,thanks for the update on Aviation. We all tend to forget from time to time that Helicoptors are Airplanes too !!!

Mastergunz G
10-24-03, 12:55 PM
When I saw monster of the sky, I was sure I was going to read an article about the true monsters, the CH53E Super Stallion! I guess 20 years of working on them has sort of biased me!
Semper Fi