PDA

View Full Version : Why was my son disqualified?

DanielsMom
07-07-11, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone. I am a mom to a 17 year old who has been hoping to be a marine for several years now. We spoke with a recruiter and filled out all the necessary paperwork a couple weeks ago.

My son has no medical issues. My son has never been involved with the cops or gotten into any trouble (except for some school detention)

When he was 12 years old, he was playing with his 9 year old brother on top of the bunk bed. He ended up tieing his karate belt belt around his neck and to the bed playing. Accidently slipping off the top and hanging himself.

Long story short (because it too painful for me), he almost died. He was unconscience for several minutes. The ER transported him to a hospital for a psychological evaluation which was mandatory. He was there for a few hours and we got the call to come pick him up because he was not suicidal.

This was a pure accident and Daniel was released and came home. He was never recommended to any doctors or prescribed medicane or anything. It was over and done with.. So we thought.

NOW.. since he did his medical questionaire, I had to get papers faxed from this hospital to turn in. In the papers it states that he was not suicidal and sent home. AT the top of the form, they have check boxes, and one of the boxes that said "mental illness" was checked, but under that where it had a place for comments, there were none.. Just the check mark.

Now today my son is told he is disqualifed because of this? How is this possible and why would they disqualify and perfectly healthy, strong young man that just wants to join the marines? And what can I do or is there anything I can do to challenge this?

MOS4429
07-07-11, 08:17 PM
Now today my son is told he is disqualifed because of this? How is this possible and why would they disqualify and perfectly healthy, strong young man that just wants to join the marines? And what can I do or is there anything I can do to challenge this?

Why? It doesn't matter what you and he says. He is a liability. They can't take the risk. As far as challenging it, talk to the recruiter, ask if you can do a medical waiver.

This is a very difficult situation. Maybe one who is a recruiter will stumble upon it and give a better answer.

Tennessee Top
07-08-11, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt anybody can give you the answer you so justifiably seek because this is a MEPS issue and nobody here works at MEPS. This is not something the recruiter can fix as...

DanielsMom
07-08-11, 03:09 PM
;) Thank you for the responses. I will do this and post the outcome. This really helped me.. I do have 2 questions..

What does MEPS stand for?

And (Tenn Top) are you referring to the recruiting office? I believe there is one in a nearby town.. The recruiting officer has always drove here to meet us. So do I need to go to the recruiting office or are you referring to another place?

Old Marine
07-08-11, 03:23 PM
My question is: Why isn't your son Daniel handling this? Seems to me that this problem is and was created by him.

DanielsMom
07-08-11, 03:32 PM
My question is: Why isn't your son Daniel handling this? Seems to me that this problem is and was created by him.

He is doing what he can do. I reached out via the internet because I am online alot. He does not use the computer much. We are both going to go to the office next week.

MOS4429
07-08-11, 03:42 PM
All right. One last thought that I hate even mentioning because the military in general, and Marine Corps in particular hate it when people do this, but it might be your last resort.

He, not you, can write his congressman, explain the entire situation in his words, not yours, explaining how being a Marine is his life-long ambition, etc. He should be specific, and any supporting documentation he has such as past medical records, attach those. After he writes, he then needs to follow it up with a phone call, and he needs to be persistent.

But he needs to be careful what he wants. If this truly was an accident, that's one thing, but if it was not...well...you might regret ever posting on this thread. Boot camp is rigorous; it is stressful; and kids crack under the pressure.

Congressmen/women frequently like getting involved in these things for whatever political reason motivates them, and they often can go to resources the average person does not have access to.

Tennessee Top
07-08-11, 04:18 PM
Like I said, this is a MEPS matter, not a recruiting matter. I mean going in person to the MEPS. MEPS stands for Military Entrance and Processing Station. They have doctors there who determine if an applicant is qualifed or disqualified for mental/emotional disorders. One of those doctors disqualified your son most likely based on that hospital form. The person you want to talk to is that particular doctor; (IF that's even possible I don't know) whether he can change his decision or if there is a separate appeals process you'll have to find out. Your son DID go to MEPS correct?

Things are taken very seriously whenever a congressman gets involved. Something would be done or answers given. In the USMC it's called a CONGRINT; short for congressional interest. I remember whenever we got a CONGRINT, it had to be answered within like 48-72 hours. They are extremely rare though; think I may have seen a handful (half-a-dozen) during my career. Doubt congressmen have the resources to act on every single complaint they receive; no idea how they pick-n-choose the ones they decide to act upon. I'm sure it would help if your son is a registered voter (constituent). I would leave this as your last option since, if it comes to this, you could include in the letter your failed attempts with visiting the MEPS meaning you have done everything you can do. Make sure you keep a detailed list of the times/dates/names of everyone you talk to and include that info in the letter to your congressman as well. The idea is to give them all the information they need to proceed on your behalf...if they choose to do so.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-11, 08:00 PM
A CongRINT may or may not help. But going to MEPS is probably the only thing you can do at this point.

For sure, anything marked 'Mental illness' is going to be an AUTOMATIC DQ these days. They won't even think about it, just do it.

That having been said, you'll probably have to get several medical opinions saying he was not and never has been, a mental health case. Once that is done the chances will improve.