PDA

View Full Version : Possible Marine Career

kodyb87
07-07-11, 12:59 PM
I'll start with a little background info. I'm 24 years old, married, and I have twin 3 month old daughters. I have my Associates Degree and scored a 95 on my ASVAB. I work for a commercial construction company and make enough to keep the lights on and the cabinets full. My plan was to complete my Bachelor's and then pursue a career as an Officer, preferably a pilot. After my little girls were born, my wife an I decided that getting my career started earlier would probably be in the best interest of our family since I am the only source of income.

We discussed deployments, and training time and we both understand what the sacrifices from each of us will be. After deciding to go forward with the process, we both went to see the recruiter and at first he told us that I could not join because of my dependancy status. After doing some research he called me back and told me that I could go Reserves, and then after 9 months I could switch over to Active Duty. Is this true, and does it actually happen or am I going to be stuck in the Reserves? I was a little dissapointed at first, but then after thinking it over for a while, I realized that the Reserves would allow my wife and I some time to adjust to the military lifestyle.

I went to talk to my boss and I told him that I had decided to join the Reserves. He told me that he supported my decision but that he would not be able to keep my job open for me. So now I'm stuck with a decision. Give up my job and join the Reserves in hopes that I can swith over to Active Duty in 9 months, or stay where I am and be bored for the rest of my life?

The recruiter told me that I would not be able to pick my MOS because I will be going Reserves but based on my scores I will be in some sort of logistics in Albany, GA. I was hoping for an intel position but I am willing to accept anything they give me.

I know that no one can give me hard answers to my questions, I just wanted to ask Marines for thier opinions and advice. I have talked to civilian after civilian but they don't have any first hand experience and since this is a life altering decision, I would like some credible information. I make $25,000 a year with zero benefits and we live in a one red light town that my wife hates. Will I be able to match that as a Marine and support my family? I want to serve, and I want my wife and little girls to be proud when they tell people what I do. It's not about the money, but I have to keep them fed and clothed.

I know this is a vague post, but I'm just looking for some advice and insight into the life as a Marine with a family to support.

Thanks,
Kody

lamanognr86
07-07-11, 01:06 PM
Here I go...This is coming from a active Marine who has a bachelors. It's not that easy to go from reserve to active like your recruiter says. Saying that, you will have a tremendous pay cut since reserves make a couple hundred a month at most. I'd say finish your degree and become an officer. It will be better for you and your family.

kodyb87
07-07-11, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified. I have no intentions of living solely off of the Reserve pay. I know that it isn't enough to support the family. If I do this, I will have to find another job after I return from boot. My question about the pay was actually in reference to Active Duty pay. Again, sorry, I didn't make that clear.

lamanognr86
07-07-11, 01:43 PM
Again, it is extremely difficult to go from reserves to active. You are better off going active.

Lisa 23
07-07-11, 01:48 PM
I went to talk to my boss and I told him that I had decided to join the Reserves. He told me that he supported my decision but that he would not be able to keep my job open for me. So now I'm stuck with a decision. Give up my job and join the Reserves in hopes that I can swith over to Active Duty in 9 months, or stay where I am and be bored for the rest of my life?

You may want to do some research on the.........

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)

http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm

kodyb87
07-07-11, 01:55 PM
I would prefer to go Active but the recruiter told me that being married with two dependents kills that option. He said my only choice is to go Reserves. If this isn't true, I would love to see some literature on it so I could take it to him and tell him I want to go Active Duty.

Thanks for that link. I was under the impression that they were required to keep my job open but I had also heard that only applies to jobs that you get after you are in the reserves. I will read that material and see what I can figure out. Thanks again!

03Mike
07-07-11, 01:55 PM
Kody - a couple of thoughts.

First, it's pretty easy to do a Google search for a current military pay chart, although that's base pay before taxes and additional benefits such as your housing allowance and subsistance allowance for your dependents. Those amounts will vary, but figure an active duty E-2 under two years of service currently pulls a base pay of $1645 a month. When you bump that tho E-3, it goes to $1730 a month.

Second - and this is just a thought, enlist in the reserves, go back to school to get your bachelors and then seek a commission. If your goal is eventually to become an officer, then you need to keep age limits in mind, and you still have two years of school left to get your degree -- still very "do-able", but if you keep putting it off, you'll find yourself aging out.