PDA

View Full Version : Married Marines that don't live in barracks ,forced to clean them?

Freeto
07-07-11, 12:29 AM
I'm married I don't live in the barracks but my sections makes us stay to clean thebarracks during field day, which runs way longer then the proscribed time in the regimental policy.
I haven't read the beq orders to see if they differ, Need PKi for it, the barracks field day guidelines do use the words such as residents of the barracks are responsible... For various things. Policy also says all residents regardless of section/company, so it should be like they need us I know atleat 50 ppl live in the barracks. Is their something I'm missing they just started this a couple weeks ago. I've been in for 3 years and never had seen one married marine other then those SNOIC that came by to check the cleanliness, while I lived in them.
Do I have a way out of this?
Nobody is going to clean my house for me why I should I have to clean theirs?

Tennessee Top
07-07-11, 12:53 AM
What does PKi mean?

You've been in for 3 years and you're still a private (that's what you claim on your profile anyway)? That's probably why they're messing with you.

If you feel strongly enough about it, you can always request mast and talk to the old man (your CO).

Freeto
07-07-11, 01:26 AM
Sir, PKI are the certificates on CAC cards used with DOD root hints to access government websites,
I understand requesting mass is an option Sir,
The question i have are policy's suppose to held to the same degree as an order?

Thanks

slug
07-07-11, 05:59 AM
Stop *****ing. We have our married guys help in field daying the common areas and outside before they leave on field day. Those areas they do use along with everyone else. Help your brothers out then go home.

FistFu68
07-07-11, 06:05 AM
:evilgrin: As long as YOU are in YOU are Married too The UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS...:iwo:

YLDNDN6
07-07-11, 06:20 AM
When I was in, it was never a question of whether or not you lived in the barracks. The barracks and the Comapany area were representative of your unit, not the individual Marines attached to the unit. All Marines in the command were responsible for representing our unit and its accompanying areas. If it was part of the command's area, it was your personal, private property, which you shared with the other Marines in the unit. The cleaning and maintenance of said property was everyone's responsibility. I don't know why this would change...Carry on.

Freeto
07-07-11, 07:07 AM
Question ^^^ not answerd

haebyungdae
07-07-11, 07:20 AM
If you try to fight it with "well...the policy says this" or "well...the order says that" then more often then not nothing will change as to your situation. You can always tactfully talk to your section leader since it doesn't seem like you have from what you said. If he/she says no and you feel as strongly about it you can go to the next higher. I don't know how the Marines are in your unit so it's hard to give advice. There should be easier ways then requesting mast.

I'm going to assume that you either you are biding time to EAS in a year or so, just pinned on corporal and/or have not received one bit of leadership training. What it seems like to me is that there might be a problem. A bigger problem, that even transcends you going home to your house--the conduct of field day is exceeding the time prescribed by policy/order. What that means is that either junior Marines in your unit and section are either being F'd with or not being led correctly in the conduct of field. Maybe take the initiative to make their lives better rather then just worry about yourself given that you are an NCO. If they are being F'd with, approach those that are F'ing with them or; if they are not being led properly, then lead them.

TazMatt
07-07-11, 07:27 AM
I was in charge of field day in the barracks every week my last two years in.I was married lived off base, Sgt still in charge and was responsible for making sure it was done or else I had to stay...

Freeto
07-07-11, 07:46 AM
Good, advice I wasnt just worrying about myself, which why I mentioned them field daying for 3 plus hours. After that A Sgt, from our section did NOT release them after the company 1st Sgt said they were secured, which I hadnt gotten their yet, which was why I brought up the policy letter, their not suppose to be white glove inspections, policy letter clearly states general cleanup, mopping, etc.. I could clean a barracks room in 20min, well enough to pass inspections that weren't stupid,
The Sgt clearly up and left when his wife called, then everyone was secured merely seconds later,.. I'm not the only one that feels its ****ed up, my problem is so much as cleaning the common areas it's 3hrs of cleaning the common areas and waiting for clean rooms to be clean

Freeto
07-07-11, 07:49 AM
I haven't been a Cpl very long, but their are those Sgts and Cpls that I idol persay and those that just make me think how stupid they make things

E4B0861
07-07-11, 08:31 AM
Stop *****ing. We have our married guys help in field daying the common areas and outside before they leave on field day. Those areas they do use along with everyone else. Help your brothers out then go home.

^---This.

It was the same with my unit. The married guys helped with the common areas that everyone used and then went home.

As for field day going longer than the policy states, do you really think that things can get cleaned to inspection standard in one hour? Games aside, I seem to recall running around the barracks like a mad man while checking the 4 rooms my Marines were in. I was constantly correcting things and telling them to fix it. It's not like field day is freaking difficult, but you know how some Marines are about it.

E4B0861
07-07-11, 08:40 AM
Mind you, I'm mostly referring to field day sans games. I do believe in games as a corrective action. Playing them simply for the sake of flexing blood stripes is ridiculous.

(Also, double post, I know, but my browser's on the fritz and not letting me edit after a failed attempt.)

Old Marine
07-07-11, 08:45 AM
Question ^^^ not answerd

Why would anyone answer your question. If you want answers fill out your profile as the site rules state. Oh yea, and quit whinning.

rktect3j
07-07-11, 06:10 PM
Never liked the Marines who were married with less than 4 years in service. Never seemed right to me. They, usually pvts, pfc's and lcpls, always complained how they needed to get home to their wife and kids while the rest of us field day'd not just the barracks but all the common areas as well. 8 pm would roll around and all the barracks Marines were still cleaning **** up while the married Marines were either at home with their wife, at their girlfriends apartment or drunk on a bar stool.

Guess I was just jealous. :yes:

LandsNGrooves
07-07-11, 07:25 PM
Never liked the Marines who were married with less than 4 years in service. Never seemed right to me. They, usually pvts, pfc's and lcpls, always complained how they needed to get home to their wife and kids while the rest of us field day'd not just the barracks but all the common areas as well. 8 pm would roll around and all the barracks Marines were still cleaning **** up while the married Marines were either at home with their wife, at their girlfriends apartment or drunk on a bar stool.

Guess I was just jealous. :yes:

the above sounds like whining aswell.

How many married marines actually use common areas in here? Not me or any of my buddies. Tho I guess if I was married to some of the ladies yall hook up with, Id want a place to hide too.

To OP, if you have to be there, skate. This wont work if your known as a skater, because the eyes will be on you. But if you get it done else where on a reg basis, no one will notice when you offer to take out trash and disappear beyond the dumpsters to your car and surf facebook till cut time.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-10-11, 07:04 PM
Sucks but I don't have much sympathy. I was at every single Field Day long after I was married and had kids. It was just a regular thing I knew I had to do on Thursday nights.

Really, in the great scheme of things, it's a mere blip and annoyance more than anything.

Carpshooter
07-10-11, 07:10 PM
And to think that they pay married Marines more , hate to see you just take the money and run ! :D!

micarr57
07-10-11, 09:44 PM
when i was there the married personnel were required to be there and participate ...they weren't happy but they were there

NiteStryker
07-11-11, 12:33 PM
I'm married I don't live in the barracks but my sections makes us stay to clean thebarracks during field day, which runs way longer then the proscribed time in the regimental policy.
I haven't read the beq orders to see if they differ, Need PKi for it, the barracks field day guidelines do use the words such as residents of the barracks are responsible... For various things. Policy also says all residents regardless of section/company, so it should be like they need us I know atleat 50 ppl live in the barracks. Is their something I'm missing they just started this a couple weeks ago. I've been in for 3 years and never had seen one married marine other then those SNOIC that came by to check the cleanliness, while I lived in them.

There probably isnt a written rule, but everything in the Marine Corps is subject to interpretation from the ranks above you. Its a rule if they say it is, crappy as that may be. I had to do the same **** numerous times.

DrZ
07-25-11, 10:29 AM
Not only did the Marines who resided in the barracks had to do field day... the married Marines were there as well cleaning and working. Each floor had a SNCO assigned to keep an eye on how things were going and to do the inspection with the NCO. We all stayed there until the ENTIRE barracks was acceptable.

Nature of the beast.

TunTvrnWarrior
07-25-11, 10:46 AM
What's with this "General Cleanup" crap? No matter what unit I was with, a field day entailed making sure dust did not exist anywhere in the squadbay or the room. No soap scum in the showers. Racks tight. Windows super clean. Brass was shined. Deck stripped and polished. Every Thursday. No exceptions.

pyrojackelope
07-27-11, 12:34 AM
Unless there's some pressing issue at home that needs to be addressed, why can't you help your fellow Marines? Are you comfortable with just chillin' at home while the rest of them are working their asses off all night? As to the people that are saying you shouldn't stick the orders to the man, take that worth a grain of salt. If you are indeed being ****ed with, and the order should be setting better conditions for you and your Marines, print it out and hand it to your NCO/SNCO. There's absolutely no problem with doing that. People that say otherwise are part of the problem.

Swampfox
07-27-11, 08:14 AM
The way I always understood it is IF you have a rack in the barracks then you have to field day. Only the Marines who were married and had base housing were exempt. All other Marines were required to keep and maintain a rack in the barracks and required to participate in cleaning sh!tters.

osborned
07-27-11, 09:00 AM
These days it just seems to be the last resort of those who still believe in mass punishment...the logic seems to be:
We can't beat them anymore...
Not bad enough to dock their pay...
Let's just steal their free time! ALL OF IT!

I guess in the old days when soapsock parties were common that worked out well, people would "police their own". However today's Marines don't think that way. We're too concerned with completing our workday and going home, whether that be a real house with a family or the barracks.