PDA

View Full Version : Going barefoot

E4B0861
07-05-11, 11:09 PM
So I wanted to share this with everyone here. It's a relatively new "movement" for a concept that's existed since humanity began. I personally find it fascinating, considering that I was discharged...

SlingerDun
07-06-11, 01:19 AM
"Proprioceptors", they need development. When we miss step and instantly recover; those are prorioceptors at work saving our ass. Without them we would all be chronic cripples. The same dynamic hard/uneven terrain activities that build strong tendons and ligaments, also tune up proprioceptors.

And you're right, we are not designed to gel or walk on clouds. Our frames need gravity and firm support like it or not. But running as you know is not the most forgiving form of cardio

E4B0861
07-06-11, 08:11 AM
"Proprioceptors", they need development. When we miss step and instantly recover; those are prorioceptors at work saving our ass. Without them we would all be chronic cripples. The same dynamic hard/uneven terrain activities that build strong tendons and ligaments, also tune up proprioceptors.

And you're right, we are not designed to gel or walk on clouds. Our frames need gravity and firm support like it or not. But running as you know is not the most forgiving form of cardio

Woo! Another barefooter? I've been working on toughening up my feet slowly but surely in between work days. So far I've noticed that walking barefoot doesn't cause my knees to pop and crack or be sore as they usually would in boots/shoes. I'm excited (yet patient) to see how the running goes. Of course, it'd be small distances at first. Did you flip through the book?

TheReservist
07-06-11, 08:55 AM
I like to barefoot run. It's really helped my stride and getting rid of shin splints and knee/hip pain. If you start to barefoot run, just remember to do it on natural surfaces. The sand of the beach is the best while hardball is the worst.

MOS4429
07-06-11, 10:34 AM
Well, E4B..., if you are legitimate and not just somebody blogging here to sell a book or whatever, the realities of what you say are true. <br />
<br />
As a running coach, I can attest that the shoes today...

FistFu68
07-06-11, 02:36 PM
:evilgrin: When I walked Point in tha Nam I always took off My Jungle Boots and passed them back~~~always walked Barefoot as a Kid while catching Water Moc's some how it just gave Me a SIXTH SENCE so to say.Hell would even show up at Parties in High School after walking in tha Snow cause I did not want too get Salt on My hand Me down Jump Boot's :beer: :iwo:

SlingerDun
07-06-11, 04:39 PM
No i'm not a barefooter, still working for a living. But my boots come off usually soon as i hit the door and the crib aint carpeted

E4B0861
07-06-11, 07:37 PM
Oh. Apologies if that's how I came off about it. The only reason I posted it was because the book is indeed a free download and I thought it was a great find. I've got no reason to solicit money...

E4B0861
07-06-11, 07:40 PM
:evilgrin: When I walked Point in tha Nam I always took off My Jungle Boots and passed them back~~~always walked Barefoot as a Kid while catching Water Moc's some how it just gave Me a SIXTH SENCE so to say.Hell would even show up at Parties in High School after walking in tha Snow cause I did not want too get Salt on My hand Me down Jump Boot's :beer: :iwo:

That's pretty cool, actually.

Semper Fi

sparkie
07-07-11, 09:18 AM
Do that 'round here and the rattlers will eat your tosies

E4B0861
07-07-11, 09:55 AM
Do that 'round here and the rattlers will eat your tosies

Hahaha

Of course, I suppose some places are more dangerous than others!

LandsNGrooves
07-07-11, 07:30 PM
There is a mountian of credible evidence that minimalist/barefoot running is how your should be. The only contrary info is the same people telling you to ease into training barefoot do to not using all these muscle your about to wake up.

Think about it, 25% of the bones in your body make a arch in your feet, natures perfect load bearing structure. Put on these over engineered shoes is like saying God/Darwin/Nature dosent know what its doing.

E4B0861
07-07-11, 08:02 PM
There is a mountian of credible evidence that minimalist/barefoot running is how your should be. The only contrary info is the same people telling you to ease into training barefoot do to not using all these muscle your about to wake up.

Think about it, 25% of the bones in your body make a arch in your feet, natures perfect load bearing structure. Put on these over engineered shoes is like saying God/Darwin/Nature dosent know what its doing.

Truth. Thing is, I think it makes sense to ease into it. After all, those muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, etc are all atrophied from disuse. They'll strengthen over time, which is why they say to work incrementally in your distances. Otherwise you'll do too much too soon and will develop foot pain.

I did an hour or so barefoot hike on a forest trail today and can definitely feel a bit of soreness as the muscles strengthen. It's a good feeling and I can't wait to get out again! The sense of connection with nature was incredible, not to mention that I was walking next to silently, so I ended up pretty close to some animals. Much more so than with shoes/boots.