PDA

View Full Version : Ship-date adjustment -- Job change?

sbayley
07-05-11, 03:59 PM
I just spoke with my recruiter and I have a funny feeling I'm getting played.

I have an Infantry slot that I do not want to lose. My sister recently decided to get married (go figure) at the end of August. My ship date is 20110801. I would like to attend the wedding (obviously).

My recruiter just told me that if I push my date back, I will lose my job. This just doesn't seem accurate to me, as I've heard people say they've had no trouble pushing their ship-date back multiple times.

Does anyone know? If this has already been covered, I apologize--I couldn't find an answer on here or Google. Thanks for the help.

chulaivet1966
07-05-11, 04:17 PM
Sorry....timing might suck but no sympathy here.
Apparently, there are many others competing for your MOS so I would believe your recruiter.
Your a month away from your original commitment and you want to change now and have the Marine Corps hold up an MOS slot for you and maybe even create paperwork BS for your recruiter because you may want to attend a wedding?
I don't think that's not how it works.
Get used to your time not being your own for a while.

I don't mean to sound smug but that's my take on it when I read these sorts of posts.

How important is being a Marine to you?

Good luck on whatever you decide.....carry on.

Tennessee Top
07-05-11, 10:56 PM
You are new to this gun club but here's how it works in a nutshell:

rule #1: The USMC does not change it's schedule to suit yours (just ask the Marines who are forward deployed right now how many weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, childbirths, reunions, funerals, you name it, they've missed).

rule #2: When in doubt, refer to rule #1 one.

To put it bluntly; your sister's wedding is not important to the USMC (sorry for the shocking revelation). You raised your right hand and took an oath so suck it up...you will miss many other important events while wearing the EGA...get used to it (everyone else does).

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-11, 11:40 PM
Yep. You miss your date, you lose your slot. Been that way for many, many years. If you do this, they will either re-assign you to something that the Corps needs, or just flat out drop you...

Just the way it is. Get used to it.

chulaivet1966
07-06-11, 09:07 AM
or just flat out drop you...

If this recruit would come to me with this request, after doing all the work to get him this far, I would probably just drop him and fill the slot with another recruit for a couple of reasons.....end of story.
His request at this stage is laughable to me.

Time for cup #2.....carry on:)

iamspartacus
07-06-11, 11:35 AM
Your recruiter (and everyone who posted before me) is right. If you miss your ship date you'll lose your contract. Here are your options:

1. Stick with the original plan. Ship on time. Be guaranteed an 03 slot. Miss your sister's wedding.
2. Push your ship date back. Go to your sister's wedding. Wait for another 03 slot to open up... which may take a long time.
3. Push your ship date back. Go to your sister's wedding. Ship right after the wedding on whatever contract you can get, or go open contract.

Oh, but if you pick option 2 or 3, your recruiter will probably not be so pleasant to work with.

MarinesFTW
07-06-11, 02:04 PM
[quote=sbayley;787795]My recruiter just told me that if I push my date back, I will lose my job. This just doesn't seem accurate to me, as I've heard people say they've had no trouble pushing their ship-date back multiple times. quote]

Those who have gotten pushed back with there jobs is not there choice MOST of the time, I can honestly say I've never heard someone asking to get pushed back and it happening. You have your slot, take it or leave it, the choice is yours.

SSgt Lamie
07-07-11, 08:20 AM
Programs go by periods. Right now with your original ship date you are sitting in the 6th period that carries from 1 Aug - 30 Sept. As long as you leave for Recruit training before 30 September you...

sbayley
07-08-11, 03:14 PM
I appreciate all the responses.

SSgt Lamie, my Recruiter eventually gave me the straight ****... which is what you posted. It just took some time to get it out of him.

I understand and respect the opinions of everyone else. My recruiter has been a pain in the ass to work with from the get-go. And has flat out lied to me on several occasions--including telling me that my ship date was July 25th instead of August 1st, in order to claim I was in the 5th period and thus couldn't move into the 6th. I know there is a huge amount of commitment and dedication required to be a Marine. I'm just not going to allow myself to be lied to and jerked around just because he doesn't want to put the work in.

Think of me what you will.