PDA

View Full Version : 35 days until I ship, any advice?

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 02:52 PM
Good afternoon Marines,
I ship to recruit training 20110808:banana:, I was wondering what advice you could give me?

- My fitness is good to go.
- I have the enlisted and most of the officer rank structure memorized.
- I have the first verse of the Marine Corps Hymn memorized.
- I had the rifleman's creed memorized, I just need a refresher.
- I almost have the general orders memorized out of order (sometimes I need just the first two words).
- I know basic drill.
- I know quite a few Marine terminology words (best friends an 0311 and we talk like we're on comms).

So with that, what else should I learn or what can I do to be better prepared other than getting what I have so far perfected?

TheReservist
07-05-11, 03:04 PM
get laid and have fun

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 03:16 PM
Haha, I stopped even trying to get laid the day I DEP'd... My one and ONLY priority is getting ready for boot camp. I still have my fun though, hittin' the beach and such when it's warm.

chulaivet1966
07-05-11, 03:17 PM
what else should I learn or what can I do to be better prepared other than getting what I have so far perfected?

I'll just add the following when you reach boot:

Keep your mouth shut unless spoken to.
Eyes and ears open.
Strive to set the best example in physical and mental stamina.

I would encourage spending more time on the General Orders.
The more comfortable you are with them the better impression you will make and you're brain housing group will have less tendency of seizing up when you are asked to repeat them.

Good luck.....carry on...

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 03:35 PM
Aye aye Cpl

SGT7477
07-05-11, 03:39 PM
Haha, I stopped even trying to get laid the day I DEP'd... My one and ONLY priority is getting ready for boot camp. I still have my fun though, hittin' the beach and such when it's warm.
No need to worry Jody has a full time job, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.:D

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 03:42 PM
Thanks Sgt, I need not worry about Jody though. No mary jane rotten crotch for this poolee sir.

SGT7477
07-05-11, 03:58 PM
Thanks Sgt, I need not worry about Jody though. No mary jane rotten crotch for this poolee sir.
Your better off without that headache and earning our beloved title, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 04:00 PM
That's the way I see it sir.

MarinesFTW
07-05-11, 04:01 PM
My advice, spend as much time as possible with family and friends. Get adresses and ask your friends if any of them want to write. I loved every letter from my family but the ones from my friends really ment more, it makes you feel like your not missing out on everything. Keep your nose clean, do not get into any trouble, and live life because its about to change like you never thought possible. Semper Fi and good luck.

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 04:09 PM
Aye Aye PFC.

Marine84
07-05-11, 05:54 PM
Be afraid...............be very afraid.

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 06:30 PM
Aye Aye LCpl

chulaivet1966
07-05-11, 06:41 PM
Aye Aye LCpl

It appears you are off to a fair start as you have really nailed the obligatory, default response to any that address you in boot.

But....I believe what i see.
Come back in about 12-14 weeks and let us know you fared well.

Do not embarrass us weed hopper.;)

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 06:50 PM
Aye Aye Cpl, as my DI during the SgtMaj said; "I tell you something and you respond"... So I have gotten into that habit. Hopefully I can make all the Marines proud with what I accomplish. 4 months from now I WILL come back a Marine, finishing as a company honor man, I will not accept failure (not being HG) because I know I have what it takes and I am more than willing to push myself above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my fellow recruits will be able to one day call themselves Marines.

Tennessee Top
07-05-11, 07:56 PM
You didn't list the leadership traits.

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 10:07 PM
I haven't memorized what the booklet says about them sir, same with the core values, I know they're Honor, Courage, Commitment, but I have yet to memorize what the booklet says.

Tennessee Top
07-05-11, 10:40 PM
I haven't memorized what the booklet says about them sir, same with the core values, I know they're Honor, Courage, Commitment, but I have yet to memorize what the booklet says.

Well then, you need to work on your knowledge more. The leadership traits are vital for anyone with aspirations of graduating company honor man. In almost every case, the company honor man will have held a platoon leadership billet such as guide or squad leader. How can you expect to be a competent and effective leader if you don't know and portray the leadership traits in your daily routine? In this case, the leadership traits are not just simply a mandatory list you memorize for some test down the road...those traits must become a part of who and what you are both as a recruit and later as a Marine. You must know and understand what each trait means; they are more than mere words.

I was just at MCRD PI for family day/graduation last month. The company honor man was recognized for attaining perfect scores on both the PFT and CFT (just to give you an idea of what you're shooting for). He was not the company high shooter on the range; that was a different recruit.

Just in case you're not aware; the USMC sends the company honor man's hometown recruiter to graduation to be recognized alongside him. We got to see the company honor man's recruiter twice; once at the morning color ceremony where he was introduced by the Commanding General of PI and then again at the graduation ceremony on the parade deck.

The company honor man is presented a plaque from The Marine Corps Association in Quantico, VA. My honor man plaque did not come from bootcamp; got mine as class honor man at Marine Security Guard School.

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 10:56 PM
aye aye sir, you know... I try to be a good leader for my fellow poolees, I try to set a good example and such, I guess I gotta get on with memorizing the traits so I can start living them. Thanks sir

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 10:59 PM
And I'm not afraid to admit that I have a ways to go before I can be called a good leader, but I am working on it. Hopefully I'll get there.

Tennessee Top
07-05-11, 11:10 PM
aye aye sir, you know... I try to be a good leader for my fellow poolees, I try to set a good example and such, I guess I gotta get on with memorizing the traits so I can start living them. Thanks sir

Just remember:

JJDIDTIEBUCKLE

Good luck.

Sadeghian
07-05-11, 11:13 PM
JJDIDTIEBUCKLE aye aye sir

Tookie22
07-06-11, 12:57 PM
Its bootcamp your DIs will teach you everything you know. Thats awesome that you're all moto but they will still kick it barney style. Advice... relax and have fun, you are getting ready to leave train for 3 months, have a week and a half off and train for another month straight. Now due to age I will not tell you to party hard and live life all crazy status... BUT you want to train to be a Marine and for the fleet right?

MarinesFTW
07-06-11, 01:56 PM
JJDIDTIEBUCKLE AYE AYE SIRR!!
Justice
Judgement
dicisiveness
intregidy
dependablity
tact
initivie
endurance
bearing
understanding
courage
knowledge
loyalty
enthusasiam

Dont pay attention to my spelling, but just to prove to you that everything will get DRILLED into your head. I have not gone over these since boot camp but you will learn to memorize them and live them, and almost a year later, be able to recall it all without even trying. You will learn or you will get killed daily. If you want to be Company Honorman, knowledge is going to be key. Our company honorman won because he knew his ****. Its going to get old real fast, but as you will learn, everything is done for a reason.

Sadeghian
07-06-11, 02:48 PM
yes LCpl, Aye aye PFC

Rocky C
07-06-11, 02:51 PM
Get Some !!! You'll be fine.
Good Luck to you...

Sadeghian
07-06-11, 02:53 PM
Aye aye and thank you LCpl

Rocky C
07-06-11, 02:56 PM
Aye aye and thank you LCpl

:thumbup::usmc::flag:

Sadeghian
07-06-11, 02:57 PM
:):banana::marine:

3043pog
07-06-11, 03:29 PM
Good luck. You seem to have your head on straight! My word of advice is to enjoy the last few days of civilian life with your family and friends. Remember,your Corps experience will be what YOU make of it! Disregard what the half-steppers think.Don't be afraid to take some initiative. Check back in 4 months with the title,alot of knowledge is on this board!

Sadeghian
07-06-11, 06:38 PM
Aye Aye Cpl