PDA

View Full Version : Engaged and Wannabee

SH0WMAKER
07-05-11, 12:47 PM
Hello,

I am currently engaged to a Marine. He graduate in 2010(I graduated in 2011 and I am a year behind his decision) and had his mind set on being a devildog since his early teenage years. Since I've been his friend/girlfriend/fiance I have reconsidered options and routes for my own future. I orignally plans to attend college and get an EMT certification and finish with a Paramedic License. However expeirencing the militray lifestyle has made me ponder the possiblity of becoming a United States Marine and serving along side of my friends and future husband. Though I do have a few questions that i hope to get answered before talking to a recruiter:

1. Reservist or full-time active duty? This is a question because if we are both active duty will we ever see each other?

2. If we are both on active duty could I request the same duty station as him?

3. Should we "tie-the-knot"before or after I enlist?

4. I know many MOS's are not avliable to females, however could I (being a female) get an MOS's in the medical or law enforcement areas?

If you have been in this situation or have some input, I would just like to say PLEASE and THANK YOU in advance.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-11, 04:55 PM
Moved to the CORRECT forum. Also did a grammar correction on the title.

1: READ our rules and regulations. They are at the top of this forum as a sticky. They apply to everyone.

Tookie22
07-06-11, 12:48 PM
1. Reservist or full-time active duty? This is a question because if we are both active duty will we ever see each other?
A: Thats your own decision. Will you see each other while deployed even if you went reservist? Food for thought. Out in the fleet most jobs are almost like a 6am-4pm thing. Unless he is in a unit that goes to the field a lot. Im sure you will have time to see each other whether you went active or not.

2. If we are both on active duty could I request the same duty station as him?
A: Many of the older, wiser Marines will correct me if I am incorrect. Yes you can "request" the same duty station. But if you have been married for over a yr then they will place you within driving distance of each other. You could be on the same base but different units.

3. Should we "tie-the-knot"before or after I enlist?
A: Look at the stats. Be careful on what you are getting yourself into. Again, this is a decision you must make on your own. You are about 18 if you just graduated. You are young are you positive you are ready to settle down for the rest of your life and commit to a very demanding role as a military spouse?

4. I know many MOS's are not avliable to females, however could I (being a female) get an MOS's in the medical or law enforcement areas?
A: Medical, NO. The Marine Corps relies on the Navy for all medical and religious matters. Law enforcement, yes. Females can be MPs

Tookie22
07-07-11, 02:46 PM
Quote from poolee munkyvsrobot-
In your answer to question 1, as my recruiter explained it to me (Ive asked my recruiter about this too on behalf of my wife) It is pretty much required that they be stationed together. If they dont station them in the same base they have to pay separation pay to the both of them.
Im sure he has more insight than I do considering he is personally dealing with the situation and has spoken to a recruiter about it.