PDA

View Full Version : 14 Year Old Future Marine Needs Advice!

futuremarine015
07-04-11, 07:17 PM
My name is Brandon, I am 14 years old, and I am planning on enlisting into the Marines at the age of 18. Right out of high school. (Pretty sure you don't need to go to college. I have a cousin who enlisted and he actually dropped out of high school. But please correct me if I am wrong.) I know it would be a good idea to go to college either way. But I do not want to wait any longer than I have to. I want to serve my country. If I need to go to college after the Marines then I will be fine with that but I would like some advice to start getting me prepared. (Especially physical advice. What body parts should I build up the most. I already workout usually but I would like to know more about what I should do to get ready for the Marines.)

(Not only physical advice. Maybe give me a few tips to help me prepare)

hbharrison
07-04-11, 08:05 PM
Brandon, first things first, read the site rules and fill out your profile. Marines can read and they follow the rules. The answers will come when that is done.

futuremarine015
07-04-11, 10:11 PM
Sorry. I just filled it out.

Tennessee Top
07-04-11, 10:37 PM
All you need is a highschool diploma. Good grades are important (you will take an apptitude test used to determine the job you'll get in the military; higher your score the more jobs available to you).

Stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Don't get a tattoo.

Keep your police record clean (that means traffic citations as well). Anything on your police record could affect your ability to get a security clearance needed for certain jobs in the military like intelligence.

Don't get your girlfriend pregnant.

Maintain a healthy weight and active lifestyle (don't get fat and lazy). Take good care of your teeth.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-04-11, 11:09 PM
And there you have it. The years will fly by before you know it.

I really can't add anything more to what the MSgt stated, above.

sparkie
07-07-11, 09:27 AM
Maybe 1 more thing, no disrespect to Tops post. Practice never quitting.

Cpl Heglar
07-07-11, 10:03 AM
Wow 14 years old wanting to be a Marine. I am astounded. I recommend you enjoy your time home with your mother and father for 3 more years. You are still very very young. I know you don't want to hear that but enjoy being young while you can. Being a Marine is very serious business. I don't want you to miss out on the good times of youth. Just concentrate on your school stay away from fast women cause they will get you into trouble. Always stay away from drugs and enjoy the now. You have 3 more years before you can be considered for DEPS. Wish you the best.

Cpl. Kevin D. Heglar
USMC
SF

iamspartacus
07-07-11, 12:35 PM
As previously stated, the most important things you need to focus on right now are staying out of trouble, and finishing high school. Read through the posts on here about people asking about waivers. They are all ready to go, but because of something stupid they did when they were your age, they're now ineligible to enlist. Learn from their mistakes. Don't get tattoos. Don't get anyone pregnant. Don't screw up your body.

As far as getting in shape, you've got more than enough time to get ready. Don't stress about it right now. Focus on eating healthy and just staying active. Play sports at school or with your friends. Ride your bike. Don't be a bum on the couch. Your body is still developing. Just keep it healthy, and around the time you turn 17 is when you should really focus on getting in boot camp shape.

Stay motivated, work hard in school, and keep your options open.

Apache
07-07-11, 03:48 PM
Then best advice possible has been given to you Grasshopper.
Enjoy your youth----

I urge you to consider college first
Benefit to you-you will be a leader of Marines !

Old Marine
07-07-11, 05:35 PM
Make sure you are in good health. It's really hard to get in these days and you do not need to get a waiver because your nose will not stop running, or because you have a big azz tatoo that seems to show when you are in PT gear. Above all do not get your body pierced anywhere. Continue in school and bring home good grades. Don't join ROTC to get out of PT. You will have to know how to PT when you join the Corps.:evilgrin: