PDA

View Full Version : Issue with parents

cjd2389
07-04-11, 08:52 AM
I'm 21 years old, just graduated college and want to enlist in the Marine Corps, but am having big issues with my parents. They knew I wanted to join the military my whole life. I tried enlisting after high school, but I was 17 and they wouldn't sign off. So I went to college and joined ROTC (which made them flip out) I was in it until my Junior year, about to contract and they were freaking out. They said please just look at all your other options before you make this commitment so early. If I still wanted to join after college, I could do whatever I want, as long as I looked at all my other options. If I joined, they threatened to disown me, said I would be dead to them, etc. They believe it's a death sentence. They don't care about the different jobs because they believe they all lead to death or being disabled.

So I looked at all my other options, met with the head of the department for a bunch of graduate schools, looked into many different jobs, and everything, but I came to the conclusion that nothing will replace the Marine Corps. I told my parents my decision and they freaked out saying the same stuff now, threats, etc. I told them they said I could do whatever I want as long as I looked at my other options and they said they just said that because they thought I would change my mind and completely take it back.

My recruiter is 20 minutes away. I share my parents car and they won't let me take it so I can't go sign up anyways. They are 100% against it and believe it's going to get me killed, I'm ruining the family, etc. They don't care that it's been my dream. They don't care if I'm not happy with my life. Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

MarinesFTW
07-04-11, 08:59 AM
Call the recruiter and tell him to pick you up. Im sorry but this is YOUR life, not your parents, and if your parents dont want you to be happy, well that is there loss. Maybe have the recruiter come and talk to them about all of the different kinds of jobs, jobs that will make you never leave the states. I would also throw the fact out that you can die just as easily driving a car down the road as getting killed in the Corps, just a fact.

Tennessee Top
07-04-11, 11:00 AM
Call the recruiter and tell him to pick you up. Im sorry but this is YOUR life, not your parents, and if your parents dont want you to be happy, well that is there loss. Maybe have the recruiter come and talk to them about all of the different kinds of jobs, jobs that will make you never leave the states. I would also throw the fact out that you can die just as easily driving a car down the road as getting killed in the Corps, just a fact.

I want to know about one of those jobs that make you never leave the states...I should've signed up for one of those!:banana:Be sure to ask your recruiter for one of those...he could probably use a good laugh.

Tennessee Top
07-04-11, 11:05 AM
I'm 21 years old, just graduated college and want to enlist in the Marine Corps, but am having big issues with my parents. They knew I wanted to join the military my whole life. I tried enlisting after high school, but I was 17 and they wouldn't sign off. So I went to college and joined ROTC (which made them flip out) I was in it until my Junior year, about to contract and they were freaking out. They said please just look at all your other options before you make this commitment so early. If I still wanted to join after college, I could do whatever I want, as long as I looked at all my other options. If I joined, they threatened to disown me, said I would be dead to them, etc. They believe it's a death sentence. They don't care about the different jobs because they believe they all lead to death or being disabled.

So I looked at all my other options, met with the head of the department for a bunch of graduate schools, looked into many different jobs, and everything, but I came to the conclusion that nothing will replace the Marine Corps. I told my parents my decision and they freaked out saying the same stuff now, threats, etc. I told them they said I could do whatever I want as long as I looked at my other options and they said they just said that because they thought I would change my mind and completely take it back.

My recruiter is 20 minutes away. I share my parents car and they won't let me take it so I can't go sign up anyways. They are 100% against it and believe it's going to get me killed, I'm ruining the family, etc. They don't care that it's been my dream. They don't care if I'm not happy with my life. Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

You're 21 years-old and a college graduate...cut the apron strings and grow a pair (or, are you going to be a momma's boy your entire life?).

bornright
07-04-11, 11:13 AM
Having served in the Marines during war I understand the worry of your parents for you. My son stayed in college and is now an attorney and I can not say that I was not relieved on his decision. Your parents obviously love you and worry about you. As a young man you should always remember that you joining the Marines and going off to war is a lot rougher on your parents than yourself. The first time I ever saw my dad cry was when I shipped out to go to Vietnam. It was a picture in my mind that I did not understand at my youthful age and I will never forget. Your parents will support your decision if you join the Marines.

chulaivet1966
07-04-11, 11:40 AM
I'm 21 years old, just graduated college and want to enlist in the Marine Corps, but am having big issues with my parents.

This a bit hard to fathom for me.

I'll venture to say most of the time parents will not approve.
If you're of age then it's irrelevant....you're 21!
Cut the umbilical cord and know that only YOU have to live with YOU for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure the USMC is for you and quite frankly don't know if you're serious with this post or not.

I agree with Tennessee Top.

That's my take on it....good luck.....and carry on.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-04-11, 07:11 PM
Concur. Cut the cord. Call the recruiter, explain you are ready to leave NOW and want to enlist ASAP, but you have no vehicle. Have ALL paperwork ready to go so you don't have to go back and find stuff.

Either that...or call a cab.

hbharrison
07-04-11, 08:30 PM
These Marines are correct if you want to be a Marine, cut the cord, get your hind-parts down to the recruiters with all your paper work and do it or forever more set on the side of the road and wish had done so. Your parents no long run your life, God love'um but you are your own person now they will get over it trust me they will.

Zulu 36
07-04-11, 09:42 PM
You can always do what I had to do: ride a bike. My father had the car for work - I wasn't getting a ride even though he supported my decision. My only other option was walking, and as it was about a 20-minute car ride, the bike was the better choice.

BetioBastard
07-05-11, 12:59 AM
I had the same issue. When I was 17! My parents said the same thing to me. I flipped the table and said, "fine, if you don't sign the waiver, as soon as I turn 18, I will sign it myself and you'll never hear from me." I was asking to be a grunt! My parents reluctantly signed knowing that I was a young man of my word. You seem to be lacking that which Marines are famous for having. In my sincerest opinion I think another branch would be more your suit.

MarinesFTW
07-05-11, 03:55 PM
I want to know about one of those jobs that make you never leave the states...I should've signed up for one of those!:banana:Be sure to ask your recruiter for one of those...he could probably use a good laugh.

Well I suppose I should rephrase that, get a job that could put you in a non-deployable unit more easily. Sorry about that MSgt.

Zulu 36
07-05-11, 04:18 PM
Who wants to be a real Marine and be in a non-deployable unit? Not me.

I could have been in a non-deployable unit in the Air Guard, but I chose a deployable outfit because that's where REAL Marines want to be.

I admit some real Marines who want to be deployed sometimes get stuck in non-deployable billets, but that isn't their fault. But they should be doing everything legal in their power to get transferred to one.

Out of 21 years of total service, I spent 11-months in non-deployable units and nine months in training units (boot camp, ITR, schools). I didn't mind at first as I had just got back from Vietnam and the mental health break was nice, but after about six-months the itch started up again.

19 months out of over 252 months in non-deployable billets. That was enough.

chulaivet1966
07-05-11, 04:27 PM
Who wants to be a real Marine and be in a non-deployable unit? Not me.

I could not imagine talking to a Marine recruiter and telling him I wanted an MOS that was non deployable.......the embarrassment.

That's like saying....'I want to work for Bekins but I don't want to do any of the heavy lifting'.

Choose another branch if one wants better opportunity for staying stateside.

That's my take....back to topic....

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-11, 05:18 PM
Concur. I was only 'nondeployable' once in my entire career, and it wasn't by my choice.

I could never understand someone who enlists in a service that touts itself as a 'Tip of the Spear, Edge of the Empire' outfit, who says "Naaaah, I wanna stay at home" LOL.

MarinesFTW
07-05-11, 06:42 PM
I'm not saying thats the right thing to do by any means, I would never choose that myself, but I was just throwing that out there, maybe help his parents chill the hell out.

And to Sgt. Lep, trust me, I've met a few kids like that.

rktect3j
07-05-11, 06:48 PM
It's time to man up.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-05-11, 07:03 PM
'FT, yeah, so have I....so have I....

MOS4429
07-05-11, 07:55 PM

You're 21.
You're a college grad.
You're living at home.
You're driving momma's and dadda's car.
You fell for the line, wait, go to college, then you can do what you want.
You learned the above was just a line to pacify you.
Your parents are terrified you will end up dead or disabled but they
ignore the millions who serve every day and are alive and able bodied,
and the millions who have honorably served, are alive and able bodied.
You parents are 100% against the military and undoubtedly will not
change.
You have a dream.
It's to join the Marine Corps, always has been, always will be.
You are unhappy being a deadbeat.
Your parents don't care you say.
Your recruiter is 20 minutes away and you can't figure out how to get
there? Let's see, you're a college grad...
You come onto this site and you ask, "Is there anything I can do...?"

Uh...no. Go join the Peace Corps!

Tennessee Top
07-05-11, 08:03 PM
You're 21.
You're a college grad.
You're living at home.
You're driving momma's and dadda's car.
You fell for the line, wait, go to college, then you can do what you want.
You learned the above was just a line to pacify you.
Your parents are terrified you will end up dead or disabled but they
ignore the millions who serve every day and are alive and able bodied,
and the millions who have honorably served, are alive and able bodied.
You parents are 100% against the military and undoubtedly will not
change.
You have a dream.
It's to join the Marine Corps, always has been, always will be.
You are unhappy being a deadbeat.
Your parents don't care you say.
Your recruiter is 20 minutes away and you can't figure out how to get
there? Let's see, you're a college grad...
You come onto this site and you ask, "Is there anything I can do...?"

Uh...no. Go join the Peace Corps!

OUTSTANDING!!!

This is the BEST answer I've seen to a wannabe's question ever :banana::banana::banana:

Apache
07-05-11, 08:17 PM
Very short intel to add
Top already said it---
You are 21 and of age
You know everything on the table and possible ramifications
MAKE A DECISION and do it
Probably the first time in your life-----

You will be pleased with yourself that you made a decision.

Tookie22
07-06-11, 01:16 PM
Hold on, hold on. You are telling me that this guy who is still on mommy's t*t and isnt man enough to do something on his own can buy a beer legally yet I still can't? Alright now that Ive tossed my 2 cents in. Man up or shut up. You are a big boy mommy and daddy wont be there to hold your hand forever, whether in country or your first real job.