PDA

View Full Version : Chances of deployment as an infantry Marine.

Bornagain
07-03-11, 08:34 PM
As a person wanting to be an infantry Marine I am well aware that it's a dangerous task and a risk to take. In about a year and a half I hope to be in boot camp, and go to infantry training as a rifleman afterwards. What I am asking is, with the way things are now and the troops being cut back and pulled from the middle east, by the time I would be done with training what are the chances of deployment to the middle east? I know it's probably a shot in the dark, but wouldn't I get stationed in Okinawa or someplace as a first overseas tour? My mother is worried and I know she will not change my mind, but I want to be able to assure her somewhat that things will be okay. Thank you Marines for any help you can give.

Zulu 36
07-03-11, 09:09 PM
As a person wanting to be an infantry Marine I am well aware that it's a dangerous task and a risk to take. In about a year and a half I hope to be in boot camp, and go to infantry training as a rifleman afterwards. What I am asking is, with the way things are now and the troops being cut back and pulled from the middle east, by the time I would be done with training what are the chances of deployment to the middle east? I know it's probably a shot in the dark, but wouldn't I get stationed in Okinawa or someplace as a first overseas tour? My mother is worried and I know she will not change my mind, but I want to be able to assure her somewhat that things will be okay. Thank you Marines for any help you can give.

First thing is to get enlisted with an infantry contract, then get through boot camp, and SOI. You will either deploy or not depending on the world situation then. There are many worse places to be than Okinawa.

Bornagain
07-03-11, 09:10 PM
First thing is to get enlisted with an infantry contract, then get through boot camp, and SOI. You will either deploy or not depending on the world situation then. There are many worse places to be than Okinawa.

I heard from my Dad it was great. Caves, waterfalls, scuba diving, and mountain climbing. I would prefer to go there than anywhere else.

Lisa 23
07-03-11, 09:11 PM
In my opinion, you're asking a question that really can't be answered. No one here knows what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone a year and a half from now.
Take it one step at a time.

Tennessee Top
07-03-11, 09:35 PM
Patience young grasshopper.

Who knows, in a year-and-a-half, we could be fighting the Mexicans down in Cali or Texas!

One step at a time as stated above...graduate highschool.

Bornagain
07-03-11, 09:40 PM
Well could someone tell me a bit about what its like on deployments?

Lisa 23
07-03-11, 10:04 PM
Do a search on the site....that's been covered before.

Bornagain
07-03-11, 10:08 PM
Do a search on the site....that's been covered before.

Roger ma'am. How do I find it?

DanM
07-03-11, 10:40 PM
Use the "SEARCH" function at the top of the page.

Bornagain
07-03-11, 10:48 PM
Use the "SEARCH" function at the top of the page.

Thank you Sailor and/or Marine.

GunRun
07-04-11, 05:08 AM
Who knows, in a year-and-a-half, we could be fighting the Mexicans down in Cali or Texas!
I myself have been expecting them Canadians to attack any day now. They are some sneaky bastards. I can see it now, they'll be blood, suffering, and kamikaze beavers everywhere.

Bornagain
07-04-11, 10:40 AM
I myself have been expecting them Canadians to attack any day now. They are some sneaky bastards. I can see it now, they'll be blood, suffering, and kamikaze beavers everywhere.

Oh, that last part made me laugh. They wouldn't stand a chance except for their AirForce.

BetioBastard
07-05-11, 01:25 AM
Well could someone tell me a bit about what its like on deployments?

Be prepared to hear some tall tales! I knew guys who were 03's and never saw combat. I met guys who were cooks and were wearing a combat action ribbon. I got my CAR and even I can't agree with other people who were their on the details of things. You shouldn't take anyones stories to heart.

Bornagain
07-05-11, 11:18 AM
Be prepared to hear some tall tales! I knew guys who were 03's and never saw combat. I met guys who were cooks and were wearing a combat action ribbon. I got my CAR and even I can't agree with other people who were their on the details of things. You shouldn't take anyones stories to heart.

Thank you for all the information that you have given me via email. It's greatly appreciated.

hussaf
07-05-11, 06:54 PM
Okinawa isn't a oversea's deployment, its a 2 or 3 year duty station. From there you can very well get deployed to a litany of places with 3rd Marines..anywhere from the Phillippenes to the "Middle East." With that, there are currently very few Marines in the Middle East. Most guys are in Afghanistan which is Central Asia.

If you spen three years as an 0311 in Okinawa, you will very likely get on a MEU...which is a deployment on a ship serving as Naval infantry to facilitate the Marine Corp's "go anywhere in 24 hours" readiness posture.

OR you could deploy to Afghanistan from Okinawa, LeJeune, Pendleton, et al.

OR you could end up at H&S Co, or ECP duty, or PSD, or who knows (on deployment)....

You won't know what you will be doing until an annoyingly short time before you do it. I reccomend not joining Marine infantry unless you feel being in combat is something you want to do. But anyway, good luck with your future decisions and time in the service if you do it. And try to get a bonus out of those recruiters! (though they are cutting funding...so unlikely).