PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressant Question

Goobers
07-01-11, 02:59 PM
Hello,
I know there are many similar questions answered here already, but I have a slightly different queston.

I've been taking Prozac for a couple of years now, but not for depression. There is no history of depression in my files. I took it just to calm down, and get over some things that I had seen happen in the past. I've worked through these issues and am now off medication.

I know I have to be off for a whole calendar year, but I'm wondering will I'll still need a waiver after that? And if so is it pretty set in stone that I won't get it?

I got a 97 on the ASVAB, can meet all the physical requirements, and will have my AA by the time I can apply (After the year off meds) I know I'd make a great Marine, and want so badly to prove myself.

Thank you for any answers,

Goobers

chulaivet1966
07-01-11, 03:07 PM
I think your best bet is to check with your nearest recruiter as he will have the most current info.
Although, there are a couple of recruiters here that may be able to offer something.

Good luck....

Goobers
07-01-11, 03:18 PM
I actually did talk to the recruiters in Escondido who said they weren't doctors and had no clue what MEPS would do.

I've done a lot of research on the internet, but everyone has a different answer. About.com was very helpful, but the writer was from the Airforce, and therefore didn't have all the answers when it came to the Marine Corps.

I'm sorry to bother the Marines here, I'm just really looking for answers, and this seemed like the best place since almost everyone here has either been a Marine or is working to become one.

Thank you very much for your answer sir! I appreciate the help, a lot.

chulaivet1966
07-01-11, 03:25 PM
I actually did talk to the recruiters in Escondido who said they weren't doctors and had no clue what MEPS would do.

I've done a lot of research on the internet, but everyone has a different answer. About.com was very helpful, but the writer was from the Airforce, and therefore didn't have all the answers when it came to the Marine Corps.

I'm sorry to bother the Marines here, I'm just really looking for answers, and this seemed like the best place since almost everyone here has either been a Marine or is working to become one.

Thank you very much for your answer sir! I appreciate the help, a lot.

Not a problem....Marines here will be happy to help based on one's attitude in posting here.
You may have to wait out the necessary time period and start applying at that time as it may be premature to give you an answer now based on your specific inquiry.
Still...someone here may be able to comment further.

MOS4429
07-01-11, 03:49 PM
Meps Disqualification List

Lack of depth perception (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
Color blindness (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
A history of mental depression and/or other mental health problems
Tattoos on the head, neck, hands, fingers or inside of the mouth
Any tattoos that are racist, sexist, drug-related, vulgar, anti-American or are associated with any extremist group or gang
Lying about any information you provide
Extensive criminal background
Overweight or underweight
Marijuana or other drugs in your system
Too young or too old (must be at least 18 and not over 28 for active duty, 29 for Reserves)
That comes from the site: http://marinecorpsrecruit.com/usmc-enlistment/meps-disqualifications/

You can go to that site if you want and search the word "depression" for people's questions, though I cannot say the answer are that great.

I think your best source is going to be the recruiter, and barring that, it will be the doctor at MEPS. Obviously if you were still taking the med, you would be SOL. But each case is unique.

Good luck.

chulaivet1966
07-01-11, 04:04 PM
MOS4429....good one.

That is some *sticky* worthy info from my point of view.
That would answer many questions of this nature.

Carry on....

Old Marine
07-01-11, 06:37 PM
If a recruiter told me to check with MEPS because recruiters are not Dr's, then that is what I would do. Marines are not Dr's either.:evilgrin:

Goobers
07-02-11, 02:11 PM
I actually did try to talk to MEPS too but since I can't take the physical yet, (I have to have been off medication for a full year) no one was really able to help. I thought there might be a few recruiters on this site who might have seen similar waivers, and would know if they were likely to be approved or not.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-03-11, 09:50 AM
There are some recruiters here, but they aren't here all the time.

The only thing you can really do is wait, I'm afraid. Once you are off the meds after a year then give it a shot.

Make sure your DOCTOR approves you coming off, many people make the mistake of just quitting the meds on their own, not realizing it has to be official and documented for it to count.

chulaivet1966
07-03-11, 10:02 AM
There are some recruiters here, but they aren't here all the time.

The only thing you can really do is wait, I'm afraid. Once you are off the meds after a year then give it a shot.

Make sure your DOCTOR approves you coming off, many people make the mistake of just quitting the meds on their own, not realizing it has to be official and documented for it to count.

Hail Leprechaunus!

Well...you're working the weekend I see.
Are you doing the BBQ's baby back ribs today also?
I"m bringing beer....don't worry...not Bud Light or Hamm's.:)

A safe day to all with friends and family.

Carry on....back to topic.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-04-11, 06:24 PM
Thank you, sir! Yep. Did all that...now back to work.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program....

MOS4429
07-05-11, 04:38 PM
Yeah, you're trying to get a prediction, and that isn't going to happen. Listen to Leprechaun's advice: wait the year, then try.