PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the wife to Oki

Flatline2792
07-01-11, 12:14 AM
Hey everyone, i'm currently finishing up comm. school in 29 palms (The day can't come any sooner!). I just recieved my orders and i was the lucky sob to get Oki. Which i wouldn't mind at all except i've been with my fiance for a little over 3 years, and i promised her if we made it to this point we would seal the deal. This is a promise i'm going to keep, but from what i've heard junior Marines don't rate to have there wife in Oki. I've tried trading orders with a marine who actually wanted Oki, which was done easily in classes before me but for some reason the CoC isn't allowing any switches to happen. So what i was wondering is there anyway i could stay with my original orders and still bring my wife overseas with me? She's didn't take the news to well and she has been asking around about our options and has been pressuring me to reach out. So any info on this subject would be great! Appreciate it and have a good one. PS: I'm not an ignorant turd who doesn't understand that i'm at the Marine Corps needs, my career comes first but my fiance is a very close second!

Muztang11
07-01-11, 03:28 PM
Oki is a one year unaccompanied tour or a three year tour with dependents. If you are not married now she doesn't go with you.You couldn't afford a wife in Japan unless you are an E-5 or above. There is a reason they do this, If she ends up there you will be not a happy camper once the phone bills start coming in, and the whole "I need my mommy syndrome" sets in after the 3rd day of you not being home because of a field op and she is "alone".

Marine84
07-01-11, 05:55 PM
You can do whatever you want BUT you will have to pay out of your own pocket for EVERYTHING (flight, transportation, gas, food, high phone bills, etc) AND you will still be responsible for a rack in the barracks, you still have to be there for field day, you will still be responsible to pull duty at the barracks (that is, IF they still have to do that these days) - it's a pain in the a$$. I don't think you're making enough money for all of that.

I did this in the States (except for the spouse thing). I ended up having to spend at least 3 nights a month on base because of duty and/or other things. Even on a LCPL pay back then, it would have been impossible if I had tried to do it alone. Get yourself a couple of roomies and it's a good time had by all.

Rocky C
07-01-11, 06:23 PM
You can do whatever you want BUT you will have to pay out of your own pocket for EVERYTHING (flight, transportation, gas, food, high phone bills, etc) AND you will still be responsible for a rack in the barracks, you still have to be there for field day, you will still be responsible to pull duty at the barracks (that is, IF they still have to do that these days) - it's a pain in the a$$. I don't think you're making enough money for all of that.

I did this in the States (except for the spouse thing). I ended up having to spend at least 3 nights a month on base because of duty and/or other things. Even on a LCPL pay back then, it would have been impossible if I had tried to do it alone. Get yourself a couple of roomies and it's a good time had by all.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Agree

Apache
07-01-11, 06:56 PM
Agree with previous posts, too expensive to take your lady with you.
If you do almost guaranteed divorce-breakup-etc

Hard sell to a young lady until she thinks about being alone in a strange country
Where almost anything can happen when you're not there

ggyoung
07-01-11, 07:34 PM
When you are a E-5 over 4 then things start to change on deals like this. I knew a Sgt. e-5 who had his family in Japan at one of the Navy bases as he worked the brig. At the end of 3 years he got orders for Vietnam. The 3 years was considered state side duty with his wife there.