PDA

View Full Version : Hope I'm not intruding

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone, I was wondering if some one might be able to help me out with something. I am sorry if this isn't what the site is for but I dont know who else I would turn to and didnt feel comfortable posting on any other sites. I have been thinking about joining the military ever since I was a kid. I am now 22 with a college degree and thinking its time to start getting on with things. I have spoken to a Marine recruiter twice already. First time was over two years ago and the other a few months ago. I love what the Marines stands for and want to be apart of it. The only problem is that the person who I spoke to kinda turned me off of it. Yes, I did talk to the same person both times. There is a recruiting office near me and was wondering would it be a bad idea to go in and talk to them about joining? or just suck it up and go back to the person I spoken with before? Last question, is there anything wrong with enlisting with a college degree? Thank you very much! Have a nice day and a Happy Fourth of July.

USNAviator
06-30-11, 01:51 PM
Hello everyone, I was wondering if some one might be able to help me out with something. I am sorry if this isn't what the site is for but I dont know who else I would turn to and didnt feel comfortable posting on any other sites. I have been thinking about joining the military ever since I was a kid. I am now 22 with a college degree and thinking its time to start getting on with things. I have spoken to a Marine recruiter twice already. First time was over two years ago and the other a few months ago. I love what the Marines stands for and want to be apart of it. The only problem is that the person who I spoke to kinda turned me off of it. Yes, I did talk to the same person both times. There is a recruiting office near me and was wondering would it be a bad idea to go in and talk to them about joining? or just suck it up and go back to the person I spoken with before? Last question, is there anything wrong with enlisting with a college degree? Thank you very much! Have a nice day and a Happy Fourth of July.

What did the recruiter say that turned you off? Could be a personality conflict. Nothing wrong with seeking advice from a different recruiter. Also nothing inherently wrong with enlisting with a college degree. Many do and become great Marines. Down side however is the pay differential. Basic pay E-1 makes about $1460/month while an O-1 makes about $2800/month

sparkie
06-30-11, 01:59 PM
If you want it, you gotta push. 22 year olds are not in at the moment. They discouraged my son at 21 'cause they really want high school kids now. That was just our experience. Good luck.

gkmoz
06-30-11, 03:21 PM
What did the recruiter say that turned you off? Could be a personality conflict. Nothing wrong with seeking advice from a different recruiter. Also nothing inherently wrong with enlisting with a college degree. Many do and become great Marines. Down side however is the pay differential. Basic pay E-1 makes about $1460/month while an O-1 makes about $2800/month

Would be a no brainer for me !! O-1 if ya have what it takes ? Not just for the money either !! :thumbup: Moz USMC 68-70 :flag:

Tennessee Top
06-30-11, 04:49 PM
You sound too wishy-washy to me and we are not looking for wishy-washy. If you want to earn the title you would know it and not be discouraged by some recruiter...simple. This life is a calling and not just a job.

You're better off stopping in at the USA, USN, or USAF recruiting offices.

Have a nice life (I probably just kinda turned you off).

sparkie
06-30-11, 05:52 PM
Top,,,,,, Your an a ass,,,,,,,again. LO(L. But then,,,, you sound right.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 06:55 PM
I was just worried I would have been just another quota. I heard stories about people thinking they were gunna get on job and ended up with another. I know what I wanna do but they kept saying oh hey maybe this will be a better idea and so forth. I noticed the pay difference when I was looking things up. Im not really worried about the pay, as werid as that sounds. I just wanna serve to be honest. Also I was told my s.a.t and a.c.t scores werent high enough, which they werent. Is there a reason they arent looking for anyone older or just because? I was also told by a friends mother, whos daughter is in the army, that women arent allowed to be m.p's but from what I read I see that we can. Is she wrong?

Tennessee top- You say its a calling so knowing since I was in elementary school that I wanna be in the military doesnt mean anything? Just an idea I had sitting in class one day? because it wasnt just an idea. I dont want to get into saying anything bad about the other branches. I was an athlete in high school and in college and from what I heard the others wont give me the challenge that or the training that I want. I have a friend who just joined the A.F and from what I hear and see it looks like she is enjoying college not actually serving. And no you didnt just turn me off, I just wanna make sure I am not gunna send my time as cook or have it held against me. After the first time I spoke with the recruiter I was gunna sign everything but they wanted me to leave for the summer to start training. I was committed to my cross country team and couldnt go off on something. It was a big year for us and I wanted to make sure I was there for everything. I also couldnt up and leave my family at that time because of certain things going on.

USNAviator
06-30-11, 07:03 PM
I was just worried I would have been just another quota. I heard stories about people thinking they were gunna get on job and ended up with another. I know what I wanna do but they kept saying oh hey maybe this will be a better idea and so forth. I noticed the pay difference when I was looking things up. Im not really worried about the pay, as werid as that sounds. I just wanna serve to be honest. Also I was told my s.a.t and a.c.t scores werent high enough, which they werent. Is there a reason they arent looking for anyone older or just because? I was also told by a friends mother, whos daughter is in the army, that women arent allowed to be m.p's but from what I read I see that we can. Is she wrong?

Tennessee top- You say its a calling so knowing since I was in elementary school that I wanna be in the military doesnt mean anything? Just an idea I had sitting in class one day? because it wasnt just an idea. I dont want to get into saying anything bad about the other branches. I was an athlete in high school and in college and from what I heard the others wont give me the challenge that or the training that I want. I have a friend who just joined the A.F and from what I hear and see it looks like she is enjoying college not actually serving. And no you didnt just turn me off, I just wanna make sure I am not gunna send my time as cook or have it held against me. After the first time I spoke with the recruiter I was gunna sign everything but they wanted me to leave for the summer to start training. I was committed to my cross country team and couldnt go off on something. It was a big year for us and I wanted to make sure I was there for everything. I also couldnt up and leave my family at that time because of certain things going on.

Do you understand the enlistment process? It doesn't sound as if you do. Nut shell version, you pick a field, lets say grunt 03XX. In that field are the MOS or jobs. You don't get to chose which specific MOS you want but when you sign a contract, you are guaranteed that field. The only way you would end up as cook is to go in under an "open contract" meaning your butt belongs to where ever the Corps needs you.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 07:11 PM
No I thought it worked differental. I still have some homework to do. Thank you. I thought you had a choice of a specific MOS. When I was talking with the recruiter it seemed like you had a choice.

USNAviator
06-30-11, 07:18 PM
No I thought it worked differental. I still have some homework to do. Thank you. I thought you had a choice of a specific MOS. When I was talking with the recruiter it seemed like you had a choice.

Only if you are going the Reserve route. Active duty is how I described it.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 07:27 PM
okay got it. So you get to pick the field but they put you some where in that area. But with the Reserves you can pick a specific MOS?

MOS4429
06-30-11, 07:28 PM
...Also I was told my s.a.t and a.c.t scores werent high enough, which they werent...I was an athlete in high school and in college...I was committed to my cross country team and couldnt go off on something. It was a big year for us and I wanted to make sure I was there for everything.

You ran cross-country in college? Did you run on a scholarship? Which college did you run for?

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 07:33 PM
Yes I did. I was a walk on my frist year and then got something after that. C.W Post

USNAviator
06-30-11, 07:33 PM
okay got it. So you get to pick the field but they put you some where in that area. But with the Reserves you can pick a specific MOS?

You're squared away now :thumbup:

MOS4429
06-30-11, 07:36 PM
Yes I did. I was a walk on my frist year and then got something after that. C.W Post

Excellent. Never heard of them. How did you do in track? Run mostly distances or mid-distance?

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 07:36 PM
Thank you. Maybe I should just call my old recruiter and try talking to them again? Just gotta figure that one out now.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 07:41 PM
They are a divison two team on Long Island. Yea but they cut our program my soph year. They granted us a five week non-traditional season. We got to compete as post athletes for the spring track season, which wasnt really the same. I did fairly well, I perfered track over cross country tho. I was more of a mid-distance runner but freshman year I ran distance events. where you a cross country runner?

MOS4429
06-30-11, 07:52 PM
They are a divison two team on Long Island. Yea but they cut our program my soph year. They granted us a five week non-traditional season. We got to compete as post athletes for the spring track season, which wasnt really the same. I did fairly well, I perfered track over cross country tho. I was more of a mid-distance runner but freshman year I ran distance events. where you a cross country runner?

No. I coach HS XC and T&F as well as train collegiate runners.

My questions were geared around that you indicated your SAT and ACT scores were not high enough for the MC, but as a collegiate athlete in NCAA, even D2, there are SAT and ACT minimums so would think that your scores should be adequate.

What's your best 5k xc time? If in the end you join, having been an XC athlete will serve you well.

Tennessee Top
06-30-11, 07:59 PM
Top,,,,,, Your an a ass,,,,,,,again. LO(L. But then,,,, you sound right.

You are correct Sparkie! I was an ass on active duty too but I did not run a social club in my shops/detachments. There is a reason my Marine Security Guard detachment in Haiti was named the #1 detachment in the Marine Security Guard battalion in 1987 (that's all the US embassies in the entire world by the way). My Marines knew their job and they did it; or we would be spending some quality personal time together...if you know what I mean.

Once an ass, always an ass:banana:

USNAviator
06-30-11, 08:06 PM
No. I coach HS XC and T&F as well as train collegiate runners.

My questions were geared around that you indicated your SAT and ACT scores were not high enough for the MC, but as a collegiate athlete in NCAA, even D2, there are SAT and ACT minimums so would think that your scores should be adequate.

What's your best 5k xc time? If in the end you join, having been an XC athlete will serve you well.

Might be mistaken but I think he was referring to his SAT scores in the frame of reference as getting into OCS. But I'll let him respond if I'm wrong

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 08:17 PM
Yea my s.a.t scores werent high enough for OCS, my a.c.t scores are what got me into post tho. But those to werent high enough. And I am a her not a him. I havent had a chance to fill out the profile thing just yet sorry.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 08:19 PM
My best 5k was mid 21 min. Glad to hear it, I heard theres alot of running in boot camp.

doc h fmf
06-30-11, 08:20 PM
Xc Can You Fill Out Your Profile So We Know Who We Are Talking To Thank You

USNAviator
06-30-11, 08:36 PM
Yea my s.a.t scores werent high enough for OCS, my a.c.t scores are what got me into post tho. But those to werent high enough. And I am a her not a him. I havent had a chance to fill out the profile thing just yet sorry.

Excuse me???? Were you too busy?? Please fill in your profile. The answers you receive and may receive in the future are subject to what you place in your profile.. Most on here assume you are a male, if you're going the enlisted route then you are posting in the wrong forum. Please PM a mod and ask him to move this thread into the Woman's Marines forum.

xcrunner916
06-30-11, 08:42 PM
I am extermly sorry about this. I have no excuses just been running around. I am very sorry.

USNAviator
06-30-11, 08:51 PM
I am extermly sorry about this. I have no excuses just been running around. I am very sorry.

Thank you Kristen for your profile. But you need to seek advice from Women Marines. Different ballpark, different set of rules. Start posting in the Women Marines forum. Good luck to you

Sgt Leprechaun
06-30-11, 11:11 PM
Actually this is the correct forum as she'll get a broader range of answers here. Normally the WM forum is more for Marines themselves and not 'general' questions.

MSgt....I'm with you 100 percent. I didn't get the "Malignant" part of my name because I was a 'nice' platoon Sergeant!

MOS4429
07-01-11, 03:27 PM
My best 5k was mid 21 min. Glad to hear it, I heard theres alot of running in boot camp.

Ok. Well, figure out what you want to do, and then go see you local recruiter, sit down and see if they have it. If you do not like that recruiter, then yes, go get a different opinion.

I assume you graduated with a degree, and unless things have changed from when I was in, those who had BA or BS degrees could get guaranteed promotions every 6 mos up to the rank of Cpl. I never liked it because of unworthy Marines being promoted, but tell ya what, if I had a degree and was enlisting and could do the same thing, I'd do it.

If you join with an open contract, the Marine Corps will train you and put you in the job that best suits the Marine Corps.

If you join with a contract, you will at least be guaranteed that field. For instance, my MOS was 4429 (now extinct). 4400 is the general field MOS, which is legal. I did not join guaranteed contract 4400. I joined technical skills bonus/avionics electronics. How did I end up in legal? That's another story and too confusing. But I did, so I went to basic legal services school, after which one is given the MOS 4421, basic legal services! Those who were chosen and elected to stay on, were trained for another 6 months and given MOS 4425 (also extinct.)

Hopefully you are following this. This site has a list at: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49155

A recruiter can show you a list. Wikipedia can give you a list. In fact, it's not bad, though I cannot attest to its authenticity, but check it out at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_MOS

Then you can click on an MOS, for instance 33, food services, and it will list the specific MOS's. Click on 57, see if you want to be in CBRN, etc.

With your college degree, motivation, good character (sportsmanship award 2006), you should be able to determine your own path.

You are on the right path asking questions. Keep that up and ask lots of questions of the recruiter. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Good luck, and keep up the running!!

xcrunner916
07-08-11, 08:07 PM
thank you all. On Wednesday I was sworn in for the police department and the one thing I was told is if they call you then take it. It will help out if this is what you want to do. So right now I am three days in and start the Academy on Monday. How would that effect everything? Again I need to figure everything out since I am sitting there and asking my self do I wanna do this or join. Would the P.D help with getting an officer position? I got the MOS things now, if I signed a contract for the Military Police and Corrections I can get thrown into any of those fields listed below it. Thanks to everyone again!