PDA

View Full Version : Aviation MOS

Teeters
06-30-11, 01:18 PM
Hello!

I am in the process of signing up for the DEP, and I was looking through a list of potential MOS's that I could have, and me being a mechanic, I looked at the Aviation MOS's such as airframe or just aviation mechanic... You know, something along those lines...

So my question for you Marines who are in this field...

1) How is the promotion time?

2) Do you believe it is a beneficial skill/job to have in the Marine Corps?

3) What should I prepare for if I sign up for this MOS?

Thanks!

GT6238
06-30-11, 01:48 PM
Hard to say these days. When I was in the Wing, I was a sergeant in three years. I was an electronics tech. Because of the nature of the systems and the test equipment, we worked in air-conditioned vans. Grunts thought we were soft-living POGs and weenies. Aviation MOSs have a variety of requirements. How are your math skills? And, remember, the beer is always cold in the Wing.

MarinesFTW
06-30-11, 07:06 PM
I guess ill answer this question again.

I am a 6217 F/A 18 powerplant mechanic O level. We have the shortest schools out of everyone because literally everything you learn in school is useless until your a CPL or Sgt. The promotion time REALLY depends on YOU. If you get meritorious out of school, you could be a Cpl in a year in a half. I am picking up Lance through time and grade just like I did PFC, and if I dont get put on a board for Cpl, I will most likely pin on Cpl in 2 years. Our cutting scores arn't that high and quite achieveable, but basically it all comes to you and how you do on your PFT, CFT, and if you do your MCI's or not. I have 2 guys in my shop that would be Cpls over 8 months ago if they did there MCIs but they didn't.

Every job has its spot in the Corps and everyone is needed in there own way. As a powerliner, I inspect the jets and make sure they can fly, we also run the flight line and are responsible for everyones safety on it. This job can pay 70k+ starting out in the civi world, but I cant completely confirm that, just been told it by multiple people.

Only way to really prepare is get in shape, stay in shape, pay attention in school, and do your job. The better you are, the less people with mess with you and the easier your life will be. Dont be afraid to ask questions, learn your job in a timely fashion, but make sure you know what your doing, pilots lives depend on it. Your going to work hard, going to get covered in oil and fuel. If that is in any way, shape or form sound bad to you, dont even try for it. Ive literally been covered head to toe in fuel multiple times, just part of the job.

I enjoy my job, I wouldn't honestly want any other one. Yeah I'm no grunt, I'm not on the front line, but I still pay my dues. Work nothing less then 10 hours EVERY day. Our living conditions are nicer, we dont play as many games, but then again, thats my squadron, other ones might be completely different. If you like working with your hands and getting dirty, you'll most likely enjoy power line. Airframes is alot like power line, your going to work the same hours, just not as hard. If you got more exact questions PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

thezero
07-07-11, 04:57 PM
Hello!

3) What should I prepare for if I sign up for this MOS?

Thanks!

1) Promotion time depends on your job, I picked up relativly quick but my MOS will bounce from promoting a lot to little to no promotions (like it is now). Some are more steady and some take damn near 4 years to pick up, like some of the flightline guys. We have had a couple guys that used to work on 46's before the transition and have just now picked up. But of course there is always meritorious boards.

2) Theres a lot of benefits you recieve from being in a aviation job, a lot of the quals on GSE gear you get can put you ahead of civilian competetion if you decide to get out after your contract and follow in the civilian field.

3) There's not really a lot to do to prepare for aviation since not all jobs are the same. Pretty much you have to wait until you find out if you are an I or O level Marine and then go from there. A lot of learning has to do with OJT (On the Job Training). I say the biggest thing is following instructions for procedures, and attention to detail, you do not want to be that guy that skips steps or leaves tools in the aircraft and have Quality Assurance find out or worse have something happen to the aircraft.

Now I am a 6286, Safety and Survival mech on KC-130J/MV-22B. I am currently on the 22's. The first school I went to was about 2 1/2 to 3 months long and focuses mostly on fixed wing fast movers (Hornets and Harriers). My second school was for KC-130J's and there was no curriculum for 22's when I went through. My second school was 2-2 1/2 months. As for working hours depending on your squadron they will vary. Being deployed we are putting in 14-16 hours a day in since you show up early and don't leave until you have finished the job. My job includes working on all of the explosives on the aircraft, oxygen systems, fire protection, pretty much anything that has the ability to save lives in an emergency. I am also qual'd to work with our ordnance shop which mostly consists of loading bucket flares and bullets.

And to disagree with MarinesFTW it seems to be (at least in the rotary community) avionics has the mojority of the work, flight line (rotary version of powerline, we just have crew chiefs in the shop as well.) will have some big jobs but do have days where they don't do anything just like air frames.

MOS4429
07-08-11, 01:00 PM
Hello!
3) What should I prepare for if I sign up for this MOS? Thanks!

I am going to answer your questions differently than the answers so far, which are great answers by those doing the work, so listen closely to what they have to say.

I see one of your interests is auto mechanics. I was 17 when I joined. I was an auto mechanic at a service station back in the day service stations did more than pump gas. I went in the Marine Corps because I did not want to go to the local JC which was like advanced high school. I wanted more and I wanted to learn something I could apply. The recruiter, who I had known for 2 years, suggested Technical Skills Bonus: Avionics Electronics because it was a good skill that fit my mechanical inclination and after Avionics school, I would receive the TSB of $1500. In '78 that was a good deal. I signed the dotted line and went to boot camp. (Hang with me - I'm getting there.)

At the end of boot camp, while in the "classroom" MOS schools were called out for each recruit. When mine was called, they said, "4400 legal services school." The Marine Corps said I, and a bunch others, enlisted under Technical Skills Bonus, not avionics electronics, and so they could put us in whatever technical skill was needed at the time. We were the first group of recruits for this to occur. I respectfully explained to my DI what I enlisted under. In the end, the Marine Corps gave us a choice, to go with what we enlisted for or go with what they wanted for us. So legal or avionics electronics?

I had a DI who gave me some advice: He indicated in the avionics field, aircraft mechnics field, they work some outrageous hours, as has been attested to already, that I would learn a valuable skill but frequently in order to apply it in the civilian sector you had to live in large cities that had aircraft production lines. In legal, he indicated it was tight knit, pretty much worked 7:30 to 4:30, that if you bust your butt in 4421 school you can get selected for the next school of 5 months, go out in the field, bust your butt again to gain rank, and that there was a program where the Marine Corps would send you to college.

I followed his advice, did the first 6 wk course, was selected for the next, then went to MCAS El Toro, so I was sort of getting the best of both worlds.

Time in grade promotions can be somewhat MOS driven. MOS's that are saturated are slower, and MOSs that have fewer in it can be quicker. But following my DIs advice, when we got off at 1630, I worked into the evening and night. I busted my butt at all that I could and in the end was a sergeant in 25 months via meritorious boards. From there, I applied for and was selected for the program my DI mention of 18 months in college, only it had expanded to 2 years. I had to reenlist for it, and went to college, went back into the fleet, was promoted to staff one month past 6 years in the corps, eventually got out, and I am doing the same job that the Corps sent me to college for.

So the answer to your question about promotion time, that will be to a large part up to you and how you conduct yourself in the Marine Corps. You want to stay out of the sh!+ bird crowd.

The field you are investigating is a beneficial skill. Research where that skill may apply in the civilian sector, too. Don't close the door to other options.

Rather than preparing specifically for an MOS you might sign up for, since the Marine Corps has its own way of training, instead focus on preparing yourself to become a Marine.

Tennessee Top
07-08-11, 01:25 PM
This is a perfect thread! It should be stickied as a format for how to post and answer a topic.

The OP asked an intelligent/respectful question and completed his profile as required.

Knowledgeable and experienced Marines have answered his questions while offering the advice he seeks (with no agendas or attitudes).

Just imagine if all threads were conducted this way. But, this forum wouldn't be as fun as it can be at times either. The occasional illuminati tattoo or guitar at bootcamp question can certainly brighten the day!