PDA

View Full Version : Help im running out of time

jstephens2011
06-29-11, 10:04 PM
I'm am 27 and live in San Diego and I'm looking to join the marine corps and none of the recruiter around in my area will talk to me because of my age I am looking of going to either Los angles or Arizona and enlist there but I need to know can I still enlist at 27 or is it just a waste of time any info will really help me thanks and Semper Fi :evilgrin: :flag:

Lisa 23
06-29-11, 10:18 PM
No profile, no answers.
And while you're at it, read the site rules located in the poolee and Ask A Marine foums.

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

jstephens2011
06-29-11, 10:54 PM
Noted and understood and I do apologize for doing that and it will not happen again

Sgt Leprechaun
06-29-11, 11:26 PM
You may or may not have success in doing that. Realistically, most slots at the moment are filled, and recruiters are concentrating on High School seniors. That's just the way it is and likely to be in the near future.

If you think it's worth a try, go for it. But be prepared to take WHATEVER is offered, and be prepared to leave at a moments notice. If you can't do those things then your chances drop even more.

SSgt Lamie
06-30-11, 10:22 AM
Just like Sgt Leprechaun said, the majority of slots are filled already and every Recruiter in your area knows that they will not be able to enlist you and send you to Recruit Training before you turn 28. Your best bet at this point may be to look into the Reserves and then augment to Active duty down the road.

iamspartacus
06-30-11, 11:02 AM
If you do go to a new recruiter, be sure to make a good impression. Show him that you are motivated to do this and aren't just "checking it out" or "wanting to get more info". This of course requires you being sure this is what you want to do before you walk into his office. How do you show him you're motivated? 1. Let him know you're willing to ship to boot camp anytime, even if it's with little notice. 2. If he sends you some paper work to fill out, get it done and, if possible, send it back to him by the next day at the latest. 3. Get your butt down to MEPS ASAP so he knows you're even eligible to enlist. 4. Be willing to go open contract. That means you won't have a guaranteed job field. Most poolees are having to do this anyway, plus you'll most likely be able to ship sooner.

Why do I suggest you do all this? Because recruiters have people beating down there door right now. Who would they rather want to spend their time on? A 27 year old guy who may or may not work out, or an 18 year old with no obligations itching to get away from home? Make it easy for him so he knows you're not going to be a pain in his neck.

Also, you can't find any other recruiting station closer than LA or Arizona? You can go to whatever RS you want to, but it would be best to go someplace close to home. You'll want to go to weekly poolee functions, and may have to make a bunch of trips to his office. Good luck!