PDA

View Full Version : questions, please help..

ederalcala
06-29-11, 09:43 AM
hi guys, so i wanna join tbe marines but i have a ged, i know i need a high school diploma or 15 college credits. My question is, if i find an online
accredited high school and take the classes online, and get my high
school diploma by the online services would that be ok? it is an
accredited and lisenced high school. the web site is
www.citizenshighschool.com

My next question is i have 3 kids, 2 from one mother and one with my
fiance, would they be under my insurance, as in medical benefits?
thank you in advance.

haebyungdae
06-29-11, 10:29 AM
Your profile needs to be filled out. And, you will find it extremely difficult to enlist given your amount of dependents (your kids). For more information, you need to see your local recruiter as he/she will be able to give you the best answer to your questions.

ederalcala
06-29-11, 12:24 PM
even if my fiance wotks an take care of one of my kids? would that still count as a dependeny?

jckennedy13
06-29-11, 12:37 PM
The military has regulations that actually *REQUIRE* you to provide adequate financial support for your dependents. Because of this, the military limits the number of dependents an applicant can have. Those who exceed the stated number of dependents require a waiver. Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination (i.e., they will look closely at your household bills and the income of your spouse). In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent(s) under the age of 18. Being that you would have 3 dependents under the age of 18, it'll be hard to gain enlistment because an E-1 or E-2 salary with dependent compensation benefits probably won't enable you to adequately support them to the military standard.

Also, I am very confident that a diploma from an "online high school" would not be accepted. You'll have to take the ASVAB before you can enlist as well. Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the ASVAB to even be considered.

Good luck. ~ Semper Fi

Tennessee Top
06-29-11, 12:37 PM
Yes, they're still yours so they count as your dependents not hers. I think you have too many but ask your recruiter they will know for sure.

And, keep it in your pants.

ederalcala
06-29-11, 12:44 PM
thanx guys. im gonna try to get a waiver..
haha i will keep it in my pants.

USNAviator
06-29-11, 12:56 PM
Not to discourage you but you have quite a bit against you. If you have a GED why do you want a high school diploma? Why not get the 15 college credits? Why pay money to an online school and then find out their diploma isn't accepted?

And yes you'll need a waiver for each dependent. You state you're engaged, are you going to get married prior to enlistment? If so that's another dependent.

Check out how much you''ll be making per month as a boot, an E-1 and E-2. It's not a lot of money.

All that being said, it's worth a shot. See a recruiter, be totally honest with him and good luck

Tennessee Top
06-29-11, 01:19 PM
Commander,

I'm guessing he needs free medical for all those kids. Would not surprise me if there are not more to come. Doubt the military will want to take on this financial burden but he can try I guess. And, do you really think this guy could pass a college course?

USNAviator
06-29-11, 01:38 PM
Commander,

I'm guessing he needs free medical for all those kids. Would not surprise me if there are not more to come. Doubt the military will want to take on this financial burden but he can try I guess. And, do you really think this guy could pass a college course?

Top I had the same thoughts......:D

I checked out the pay scale for an E-1, $1467/month before taxes. That's not much for 3 or 4 dependents

ederalcala
06-29-11, 01:41 PM
at tennessee top, im not dumb, if i got my ged is because my father padt away n i had to work at the age of 16.. i had a 3.5 gpa n i took the asvab test when i was a junior n i scored a 93.. so yes i can pass a college course.. just cus im not a marine yet.. that dony mean im stupid.. n i cant have more kids..
PLS KEEP ALL NEGATIVE COMMITS OUT OF THE THREAD..

USNAviator
06-29-11, 01:54 PM
at tennessee top, im not dumb, if i got my ged is because my father padt away n i had to work at the age of 16.. i had a 3.5 gpa n i took the asvab test when i was a junior n i scored a 93.. so yes i can pass a college course.. just cus im not a marine yet.. that dony mean im stupid.. n i cant have more kids..
PLS KEEP ALL NEGATIVE COMMITS OUT OF THE THREAD..

Please look at what you just wrote. This is not a Twitter account, you're expected to write coherently, check you're own spelling etc. Also, you have failed to fill in your profile as requested and as required.

I believe your two questions have been answered.

USNAviator
06-29-11, 02:01 PM
Please type correctly and have respect or you will get even more negative comments.

And not only that, but a mod may come by and see those admonishments to Marines and say, hey, time to be banned.
It's happened very often here.

Here's how it sometimes works. Someone will ask a question, it will get some answers, so far so good, but then the original poster gets an answer or two that he had not planned on getting, then he or she gets angry and fires away.
Then the mods come and ban or suspend him for disrespect.

Hence my advice about being careful about respect even when the info you get doesn't sit well with you personally.

Dave this young man might have had a career in ancient Rome, especially that occupation we were talking about this AM.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-29-11, 11:20 PM
YOU don't rate to say squat to a retired MSgt. No profile, you get deleted. YOU don't make the rules here, either.

Oh, and finally, your chances of enlistment at this point? Slim and none. READ THE RULES then READ THE STICKIES.

Come back and violate them, you'll be summarily tossed out of here.