PDA

View Full Version : Swim Qual???

Whats71x25
06-28-11, 11:17 PM
I've searched the web and I've searched the site but I can't find a straight answer. The MOS I am signing for requires a CWS2 but it is my understanding that there is a NEW swim qual system (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced). I can't find any real information on this except it was enacted in 2010. Can anybody help me out and tell me what I will need to do in order for my qual?

GunRun
06-29-11, 03:19 AM
There is a new one. It's a bit more difficult than the last one, due to the fact that you have to keep your boots on even at the lowest level.

I'm not the right person to tell you if it's easy or what is involved. I'm what they call...AN IRON DUCK!

Whats71x25
06-29-11, 10:08 PM
Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you.

MarinesFTW
06-30-11, 07:10 PM
Havn't heard anything about the new swim qual. Swim qual in boot camp is going to be alot harder then the fleet. The DI's will fail you just because they want to, literally. There trying to get as many of you through in the fastest time so they can leave, if you show any signs of struggle they pull you out. I didn't get 2 in boot because I wasn't doing the strokes "correct". I had the normal swim quals in boot and I swam in the middle of July 2010, thats all the info I have for you.

Whats71x25
06-30-11, 09:57 PM
First and foremost, thank you. From what I can gather the new swim quals started in November 2010. And I wouldn't get pulled from my MOS contract in boot camp if I didn't make the qual, would I?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-30-11, 11:15 PM
Likely you would. If your MOS requires a certain level of swim qual, and you don't make it, they aren't going to mess around giving you multiple chances to 'do over'. You'll likely get some extra instruction, or another chance (maybe) if you blow it in Recruit training (because they'll know you have to have a certain level to get your job), but if you can't do it they'll re-assign you just like that.

USMC-SSGT
07-01-11, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately I can not tell you anything about the "new" levels but if you have any swim qual specific questions fire away and ill be glad to answer what I can remember.

I am a MCIWS (Marine Combat Instructor Water Survival)

Be patient, I do not check this site everyday.

Whats71x25
07-01-11, 10:04 PM
Thank you Sgt. Leprechaun.

USMC-SSGT: Whenever "full combat gear" or "combat fatigues" is mentioned- what exactly are the components? Also, which pack is used?
How long are you supposed to tread water if at all?
In demonstrating the ability to save a drowning person, is that person on the surface or below the water?

I apologize for the barrage of questions. And, thank you in advance,

MarinesFTW
07-02-11, 09:06 AM
When you get there in boot camp, there going to have you strip down into your green skivvies and give you a set of cammies and a pair of boots. You way get lucky and get a set that will fit you, or your boots and cammies will be to large, its all luck. You will swim with the large molly pack, rifle, kevlar, and LPV, but dont worry, everything floats, or so they say. You will notice some packs float alot better then others. If you get all good gear, swim qual will be easy as pie, if you dont, you will have a harder time.