PDA

View Full Version : comparing notes in boot

Fidelis2
06-28-11, 11:01 AM
i wonderd if you can compare notes in boot by talking about the day's training with your fellow recruits, I dont mean a bull session or lounging around but talking just about USMC subjects learned that day, same as some do after a class. is this ever done? i wanted to know what to expect i always learn better and faster with feedback and a give and take setting. does anyone know if this is ever done or allowed by dis
i know about the one hour free time, maybe this is part of it, cant find anything using search button

dizark
06-28-11, 11:32 AM
Just the one hour of free time is where you can sit down and talk to other recruits, write letters, work out, etc. You do have the Sundays where people go to church and if you stay back, it's like 4 hours to do the same thing as you do in your one hour of free time, but that really depends on the Drill Instructors.

Honestly, you will have the information and knowledge drilled into your head and you'll learn dittys and you think you'll never forget the information they force feed you.

Fidelis2
06-28-11, 11:45 AM
thank you sir for your answer, it's just that i do better learning if we can get a chance to review things. do we get any type of reading material? i'm not so sure what my MES will be so i'd like to be prepared as much as possible.

my mom is a paira legal and i like to study law, has anyone worked in the 44xx field?

thank you all for the help you've given so far!

USNAviator
06-28-11, 11:51 AM
thank you sir for your answer, it's just that i do better learning if we can get a chance to review things. do we get any type of reading material? i'm not so sure what my MES will be so i'd like to be prepared as much as possible.

my mom is a paira legal and i like to study law, has anyone worked in the 44xx field?

thank you all for the help you've given so far!

I must confess I know very little about the daily life in boot camp. But I do know that it's MOS not MES and unless your Mom is a twin, it's paralegal

Zulu 36
06-28-11, 01:38 PM
i wonderd if you can compare notes in boot by talking about the day's training with your fellow recruits, I dont mean a bull session or lounging around but talking just about USMC subjects learned that day, same as some do after a class. is this ever done? i wanted to know what to expect i always learn better and faster with feedback and a give and take setting. does anyone know if this is ever done or allowed by dis
i know about the one hour free time, maybe this is part of it, cant find anything using search button

See what dizark said. No you don't get to sit down and do a hot wash after every class or training evolution. As soon as one class is over, you'll be swinging into another, or you'll be marching off to some other location. You will be very busy during your free time doing many personal tasks, so time to hash over the day's training will be very limited.

You won't have time at chow. No talking allowed. Shove the food down your neck and get out.

Yes, you will have some limited reading material. If things haven't changed drastically from my day, you will also be taking notes in classes. When we had some down time, we had to have our ugly little faces stuck in our notebooks studying knowledge. Silently. My SDI preferred we use our notebooks and not the Guidebook for Marines, which we did have and could read on free time.

By down time, I mean like the few minutes you might have after eating chow and while standing in formation outside the chow hall waiting for the rest of the platoon and your Drill Instructors. Talking in formation is prohibited.

Your platoon will also spend time repeating knowledge aloud, over and over and over and over, ad infinitum. My platoon spent at lot of time in school circle on the quarterdeck chanting General Orders, nomenclature of the M-14, first aid procedures, and many other topics.

You'll learn the material or you won't make it through boot camp.

Fidelis2
06-28-11, 01:48 PM
I must confess I know very little about the daily life in boot camp. But I do know that it's MOS not MES and unless your Mom is a twin, it's paralegal

yes sir that was my mistake. i thought it was military employment specialty

Fidelis2
06-28-11, 02:38 PM
i didnt know we could talk among ourselves like that, is good to know

devilbones2
06-28-11, 03:05 PM
I went to Parris Island 14 years ago this month and I still remember all of that stuff. I dont think you will have a problem remembering anything.

GunRock0811
06-28-11, 03:52 PM
Sometimes it just depends on your Drill Instructors. I had two in my platoon that didn't mind if recruits wanted to quietly study and review notes for a half hour or so after the lights went out. The other two would flip out if they caught us doing anything like that. It won't take you and your platoon long to figure out what you can and can't do.

Marine84
06-28-11, 10:17 PM
OMG! I remember EVERY time we went to chow, while the whole platoon was standing outside the chow hall waiting to get in, we would do that Navy/Marine Corps rank structure.........."A PRIVATE IN THE MARINE CORPS IS A SEAMAN IN THE NAVY, A PFC IN THE MARINE CORPS IS A" blah, blah, blah. We had to carry that little book (the Marine Corps Handbook) in our pocket EVERY day and you better not get caught without it.

Marine84
06-28-11, 10:22 PM
OH! And when that little 1 hour free time comes around, you're going to want to do anything other than talk about you knowledge - LOL! If you talk to other Recruits during that time, it will be because y'all are trying to figure out if you can get off that Depot without getting caught!

Train yourself to retain knowledge some other way.

dizark
06-29-11, 01:05 AM
Also, in regards to the notebooks they give you, you should be allowed to look it over while standing Fire watch, but as said before it really depends on the Drill Instructor.