PDA

View Full Version : Going to boot early??

Bayou22
06-27-11, 08:03 PM
I enlisted this past may in the USMC and am scheduled to ship out on December 12 to boot camp (MOS: 0844). I've had quite a bit of college, and my recruiters orignially said I would be able to finish my degree in the Marine Corps.

I've been offered to ship July 25 for a reserve position on a 3/5 contract. (MOS:0341) My recruiters are now saying it will harder to complete my degree in active duty and reserve would be my best bet (they also said that the CO needs to fill this spot so they're trying to find someone).. plus I could get to OCS quicker if I went in as a reservist. Is shipping out real early a usual thing? My IST isn't that good, but passes ship standard.

Pullups: 6
Crunches: 80
Run: 11:30

Any advice would defenitely help.

Thanks!

Lisa 23
06-27-11, 10:17 PM
While it may sound great that you have the chance to leave early for boot camp, ask yourself if active duty is what YOU really want, and if it is.......then make sure active duty is what YOU get. Don't get talked into going the reserve route if YOU don't want to.
Your recruiter has a quota to fill for a reservist, then let him find someone who wants to be a reservist.
You can get your degree on active duty. It make take some time, but you can do it!

Do some research on the site for reservists and being an officer.....and you can also talk with an OSO to get more info.

PNW2011
06-28-11, 12:52 AM
Don't let them decide for you, you may want the couple of months wait to end, but do you really want that impatience to have an impact on the rest of your career as a Marine?

If you want to actually stay at your University or whatever college you're at while in the Marine Corps maybe the reserves is for you. But I would imagine you're going to be finishing your degree online or on base if you were to go active.

Do you really think you're up to the challenge for infantry with that IST?

IHaveEGA843
06-28-11, 05:41 AM
You CAN refuse a job/contract. I did because if I didn't I would be leaving next month for a MOS I surely did not want to do.

Wait it out like I'm doing, Oct is just a couple months down the road and I have first pick at the jobs opening up so it was win for me. More time to train and a whole list of jobs to pick from.

Nichols
06-28-11, 08:16 AM
I'd say get your IST up and ship on the date you were originally given. All in all though.. it's your choice.

MunkyVsRobot
06-28-11, 11:25 AM
If you are ready to go and you want to go earlier I say dive in and swim. Are your IST numbers perfect? No. But they are passing so you are numbers wise ready to ship.

Now as SoftballCatch said dont be talked into anything ship only if you want to ship this is the only time you will get to negotiate anything or have it even remotely close to your way.

Even with those numbers the first month your life is going to be strictly PT so they can only improve from where you stand now.

BulldogD2
06-28-11, 04:57 PM
Well since in your other post you talked about being hurt maybe waiting and healing before shipping out would be in your best interest.

Nichols
06-28-11, 07:32 PM
Well since in your other post you talked about being hurt maybe waiting and healing before shipping out would be in your best interest.

Yeah, if you're hurt.. give your body enough time to heal.

Patientlywaitin
06-28-11, 09:13 PM
You have a good run time, but pull ups and crunches could use some work. I wish my run time was out of the 13:00s well it was 100 degrees last time we did our IST, pretty hot to run hard in. I run a 12:00 in the morning when its cool. Good luck on your decision.

Gunstream
06-28-11, 10:27 PM
Your PT is far from being accepted into OCS, much less completing it.

Do what you want. It's your life. Don't let your recruiters quotas dictate what you're going to do for the next 4 years.