PDA

View Full Version : CROSSFIT-Preparing for Recruit Training

ClemsonEngineer
06-24-11, 07:47 PM
I've read a lot of threads on this forum about physical training in preparation for PI or SD, and it is mostly threads with people asking questions. I've FINALLY got a ship date, and I can now post on the forums. So, I wanted to start a thread about physical (and mental) preparation and my experience with CrossFit. I hope someone finds it useful.

I will try to add more to this tonight, but just to get it started here are two links I think every Poolee should check out.

http://www.crossfit.com
http://www.crossfitendurance.com

Just to give you a quick idea on where I am coming from, at least from a CrossFit perspective- I've been a Level 1 Trainer for a few months now, and I have CrossFitted for a year now. When I first started, I couldn't do the women's weights and I was HORRIBLE at everything. CrossFit has made me into a way better athlete and is continuing to do wonders for me physically and mentally. Here is the link to my home gym: http://www.crossfitspartanburg.com

Poolee Godfrey

ClemsonEngineer
06-24-11, 08:32 PM
Ok, so... here is CrossFit in a nutshell.

"Constantly varied functional movement at high intensity"

What does this mean?

Constantly Varied:
Don't do the same stuff every day. Don't do the same stuff every week. Don't do the same stuff every month. You may repeat a workout once or twice a year actually. This doesn't mean go out and only do pullups once a year, or once a week. But, it does mean don't do a routine. Your routine should be to mix it up. Vary your reps. Vary your weight. Vary your movements. Vary the time duration of your workouts. Vary the order of movemets. And, vary it constantly!

Functional Movement:
Do movements that relate to real life situations or combat situations. Bicep curls are not functional. Leg extensions are not functional. Look into olympic and power lifting. Those are very functional movements. Also, don't use weights all the time. Use sandbags, medicine balls, tires, small children, large children, adults, any odd object.

You can check out the sites above and get an idea of some of the movements that are thought of as "functional".

High Intensity:
The technical definition: I (intensity) = P (power) = (Force x distance) divided by Time

In simpler terms: Move "heavy" objects over long distances and do so quickly!

This can be lifting a 150 pound sandbag from the ground to your shoudler for a specific number of reps and doing so as fast as you can. The "distance" in this scenario would be the distance from the ground to your shoulder at standing height. Since the weight is set at 150 lbs., how do you increase the intensity? You go fast.

If all else fails: Just do everything (with proper form-safety first) fast, but don't shy away from heavy weight.

Ok, that's probably way more than anyone cares to know.

Here's what everyone does care about: Improving their IST/PFT scores. Functional movements increase core strength which make crunches a joke! Pullups? You do a lot of pulling in CrossFit. You pull in olympic lifts and gymnastic movements (pullups, muscle ups, etc.), and many more movements will increase your pullups without doing a boat load of deadhang pullups everyday. Run time? I'm a huge fan of CrossFit endurance. Check it out!! It's awesome and would be a huge help to any Poolee!! You want to increase your run times? Don't run more miles!! This is a great way to enter into over traiing. Instead, do your workouts with a lot of intensity. You'll find your run times will increase without even running! But, when you do run keep it "short" (200m-800m) and fast! Once a week do a longer run to get use to running 1.5-6 miles.

Alright, this is probably so long that no one will check it out. But, hopefully a few of you will. Hope it interest some of you. If it doesn't, no big deal. Keep doing what is working for you and keep working hard.

Poolee Godfrey

Dutch 44
06-24-11, 09:42 PM
Anyone who wants to get into crossfit should make sure they have an experienced person to check their forms, when dealing with the types of lifts in crossfit its very easy to hurt yourself if you dont know what you doing.

ClemsonEngineer
06-24-11, 09:50 PM
Very good point. I definitely agree. CrossFit is very safe if done properly. However, improper form, which is easy with a lot of the movements, can lead to very bad things.

For those who don't have access to a CrossFit gym or someone who knows what they are doing and can help them out . . . just apply CrossFit principles to things you know how to do. Do what you can with what you got and what you know.

Poolee Godfrey

Tbrown10
06-27-11, 07:55 PM
i love this stuff, so much more fun than the usual situps/pullups/running

ClemsonEngineer
06-27-11, 09:03 PM
Waaaay more fun! It's no comparison. It's by far the best core strength and conditioning program on the planet. By far the best physical training tool for...well, anyone who is not trying to specialize in a specific sport (sports such as lifting, running, biking, etc.). You can't find a better tool for preparing military "athletes" for the unknown obstacles they could face on the battle field or in every day life. And, at the end of the day...you have a GREAT time doing it. (Well, in a sick kind of way. haha)

T. Brown, how long have you been CrossFitting?

IHaveEGA843
06-28-11, 05:39 AM
I did some research on signing up and joining atleast for the 6 week "Bootcamp" that they offer.

That **** is expensive! $200 for 12 sessions or $50/hr for 1 on 1 training.

If I could get a great deal especially on the 1 on 1 training I'd do it for sure but man 50 bucks a hour can add up fast.

Tbrown10
06-28-11, 08:05 AM
I did some research on signing up and joining atleast for the 6 week "Bootcamp" that they offer.

That **** is expensive! $200 for 12 sessions or $50/hr for 1 on 1 training.

If I could get a great deal especially on the 1 on 1 training I'd do it for sure but man 50 bucks a hour can add up fast.

Just do the WOD's ( workout of the day) on cross fit endurance's website on the left hand side they have a link called leatherneck endurance with WOD's..i've been doing those alot.

Ive been crossfiting about 3 months now. i dont do it everyday ( probably every other day) like i should but im going to try to start doing it all the time.

PooleeGewarges
06-28-11, 10:35 AM
What equiptment do I need for the WODs?

I always wanted to do Crossfit, but aleways thought it is a hassle. Enlighten me please.:nerd:

Tbrown10
06-28-11, 02:47 PM
Like todays WOD is

12-15-21-15-12 for time of:
Box Jumps 24″/20″
Handstand Push Ups
Deadlifts 185/125

<HR>Endurance:
3+ Hours Before or After CFE Strength & Conditioning WOD ( do only 1, i'll repeat, only ONE) of these.
Swim (SS Tue, 3S Mon): 15 – 25 x 25m on 1:00, hold within 2-3 seconds
Bike (SS Tue, 3S Wed): 6 – 10 x 1k, rest/spin 2:00, hold within 3-5 seconds
Run (SS Tue, 3S Tue): 4 – 8 x 400m, rest 2:00, hold within 3-5 seconds

if you do the running, 400m = 1/4 Mile. i did that yesterday and that crap hurts lol

also check these out

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739
My personal favorite is the Playing with pushups one.

IHaveEGA843
06-28-11, 07:51 PM
So you run sprints 4 to 8 times 1/4 a mile? Technically sprint 2 miles in quarter mile increments with only 2 min rest periods?

Well I went by the local crossfit center and talked to the owner. I told him my goals/mission and he said I'll def see improvements in the first month. I doubted id keep up with them because of how they all looked but he said obviously I'm in shape enough. I'm kinda excited to start it and I'll kick out that 215 for 3 months.

ClemsonEngineer
06-28-11, 07:58 PM
@soon2have: What's the name of the gym?

Here is mine: http://www.crossfitspartanburg.com

Looking to do the CFE Interval WOD tomorrow after the WOD.

IHaveEGA843
06-28-11, 08:11 PM
I can't provide a link due to me posting from my phon by the center name is CrossFit Integrity

ClemsonEngineer
06-28-11, 08:14 PM
We've had a few come up and visit from there before. In fact, I think they are holding a competition here in the coming months. I'm hoping to participate.

Keep me updated on how it's going. You're going to love it.

IHaveEGA843
06-28-11, 08:21 PM
Well I hate the pain during workouts but I love to soreness after it that makes any sense.

I'll be sure to keep replies in this thread when I do begin this so other Poolees can consider doing this to better their IST/PFT.

Its a crazy set up in there.....not your average gym but everybody seems cool and welcoming. Before I start training I have to do this Fundamentals Course with all these different excersizes. If I had the green id sign up today but hopefully Friday will bring great rewards in the form of a decent check.

This well element the "standard" gym cardio/weight training I do and hopefully give me the results I want.

ClemsonEngineer
06-28-11, 08:24 PM
We do a "In Doc" for people who have never CrossFitted before. It's good to go through.

Good luck! Embrace the suck.

DrinkTwiceT1000
07-19-11, 12:24 AM
Anyone who can do this should. I've been going to NEPA Crossfit for about a month and a half now and it has helped immensely. I've lost 20 lbs and have gotten in better shape in the last few weeks with them then I was ever able to any other way.

Make sure to talk to them about what you are doing. Most of them are aware of the requirements, but they can help you reach your goals by altering your WOD or warm up. For example, in order to help with my pull-ups and crunches I need to do 3 max sets of each before I even begin my warm up.

Lisa 23
07-19-11, 07:14 AM
Anyone who can do this should. I've been going to NEPA Crossfit for about a month and a half now and it has helped immensely. I've lost 20 lbs and have gotten in better shape in the last few weeks with them then I was ever able to any other way.

Make sure to talk to them about what you are doing. Most of them are aware of the requirements, but they can help you reach your goals by altering your WOD or warm up. For example, in order to help with my pull-ups and crunches I need to do 3 max sets of each before I even begin my warm up.

Off topic here.
I live about a half hour away from you......Pittston.

DrinkTwiceT1000
07-19-11, 10:35 AM
Off topic here.
I live about a half hour away from you......Pittston.

Nice, you should come check it out then. Brennan, the guy who runs it, is a former Recon Marine.

---

Poolee Rexer

Lisa 23
07-19-11, 10:40 AM
DrinkTwice...when do you go to boot camp? Your profile has 5/02/2011.
One of these days when I'm in Mountain Top, I'll have to check it out.

DrinkTwiceT1000
07-19-11, 10:57 AM
I forgot to change that, my ship date is now 10102011. Actually, it's in WB on WB Blvd near Coal St. You can go for a week for free to try it out if you want.

--

Poolee Rexer

Lisa 23
07-19-11, 12:43 PM
Sounds good. We'll have to meet up there one of these days! :thumbup: