PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lifting

Honcho1010
06-24-11, 10:24 AM
So i searched the forums for this thread and came across nothing.

So who here lifts weights? Please post a few routines, strategies and supplements you may use.

i started doing shoulder press when i joined in February and went from 40 ammo can lifts to 109 in a matter of weeks. I seem to improve fast.

Well, post away.

AZTony
06-24-11, 10:57 AM
Honcho, what are your goals with exercise? I can help you come up with a routine based off of your goals.

For me its:

Armstrong Pullup Challenge
Abdominal work 5 days per week and I change it up every day
Run at least 3 miles per day, 5 days per week mixing in long distance runs, sprints, and intervals.
Swim at least 500m per day, 3 days per week.
Bodyweight squats, lunges, jump squats, burpees, 8-count bodybuilders at least once per week.
Yoga once per week.
Shadow boxing a couple times per week.

Once I find out my official ship date I will be signing up at my local gym to begin some compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, and benchpress as well as barbell shoulder press, barbell bicep curl, and calf-raises.

bposey8152
06-24-11, 12:34 PM
I go to the gym everyday but I have a structured workout that I've been following for a little over a year now. There are certain exercises that work together over the 12 week period that seriously build muscle, tone, and have improved my self esteem as well. I'll see if I can find a link to where I found the book. But the first week, you start off with light weight and 20 reps for 3 sets. The next week, 15 reps for 3 sets. Then 12, then 10, 8, 6, and 4. Then once you hit the heaviest weights you build back up for endurance. 4 to 8, 12,15, and 20. But it has definitely worked. I went from benching 135 in the beginning of my senior year, to benching 215. Squatting 195 to 395. I also take Jack3d before I lift to help with energy and building muscle. I like it but I know that others do not. Just thought I would share. OH! I'd also like to point out that for each workout, its a specific targeted body part so that they each get a week to help build and repair. But we do them all. Chest, back, legs, shoulders, and then arms and abs both have their own day. That's just how I do it, I don't knpw if anyone else on here does.

PooleeGewarges
06-24-11, 01:00 PM
P90X all the way. Plus Whey Protein.

robbyj
06-24-11, 11:46 PM

Not a fan of P90x LOL.

My routine is pullups everyday.
And then PT tuesdays/thursdays
Monday-chest and tris
Wednesday- back and bis
Friday-shoulders and legs

As for strategies I always try to go up in weight each week, and I do 3 sets going up in weight for each one, or do more reps on my third set. Make sure you can't complete your 3rd set, if you can go up in weight.

As for supplements, I take weight gainer, glycomaize, glutalyne, kre-akylyne, glucosamine, test booster, athletes vitamin, fish oil, flax oil, caesein protein, whey protein, pure egg whites (add these to my shakes for more protein with 0 fat), and BCAAs. I also have a pre and post workout drink called assault and re-con

robbyj
06-25-11, 12:01 AM
Honcho, what are your goals with exercise? I can help you come up with a routine based off of your goals.

For me its:

Run at least 3 miles per day, 5 days per week mixing in long distance runs, sprints, and intervals.
Bodyweight squats, lunges, jump squats, burpees, 8-count bodybuilders at least once per week.
Yoga once per week.

Once I find out my official ship date I will be signing up at my local gym to begin some compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, and benchpress as well as barbell shoulder press, barbell bicep curl, and calf-raises.

deadlifts aren't too healthy for your back, try some different lifts for it

TWDP
06-25-11, 01:39 AM
P90x is great, I went from 6 pull ups to 17 in two months of using the classic routine.

On topic the only weights I lift are usually light and I do a bunch of reps to build lean muscle, because there really isn't any reason to bulk up for boot camp when it will most likely just hinder you with the extra weight.

bposey8152
06-25-11, 01:46 AM
Only way dead lifts aren't healthy is if you do them wrong haha nothing wrong with them.
If you're only doing light weight and building lean muscle then you need to make sure you can actually do the Pullups, pick up the log, and hump the pack instead of just looking good. Bulk muscle will help with that. It won't weigh you down haha

TWDP
06-25-11, 02:02 AM
Only way dead lifts aren't healthy is if you do them wrong haha nothing wrong with them.
If you're only doing light weight and building lean muscle then you need to make sure you can actually do the Pullups, pick up the log, and hump the pack instead of just looking good. Bulk muscle will help with that. It won't weigh you down haha
Well I weigh 180 and do 18 pull ups so I'm not weak, and by light weight I don't mean like ten pounds I mean something that gives the burn at like 15 reps
And doing higher reps with lower weight will build up muscle endurance which is needed a lot more then being able to bench 310 pounds.

bposey8152
06-25-11, 03:24 AM
Read my earlier post. My routine has given me bulky muscles that gave more endurance than most. Win-win.

TWDP
06-25-11, 07:01 AM
Read my earlier post. My routine has given me bulky muscles that gave more endurance than most. Win-win.
That's because more than 2/3rds of the workout was all higher reps lower weight which is considered something you can do about 12-17 reps of
Anyway you can continue getting bulking muscle mass to make yourself feel better about yourself and I'm going to be doing body weight exercises with a weight vest which I find works better then weights

IHaveEGA843
06-25-11, 09:04 AM
Low weight high reps.......

Ill do 3 sets of 20 on different machines

PooleeGewarges
06-25-11, 09:39 AM
P90X plus recon ron pull up program helps increase your pullups.

Tbrown10
06-25-11, 09:56 AM
I do the armstrong pullup programs M/W/F
I do crossfit endurance or crossfit leatherneck everyday
and run 5 days a week. 3 long runs and 2 short runs or vice versa.

TWDP
06-25-11, 05:00 PM
P90X plus recon ron pull up program helps increase your pullups.
Yeah I just used the pull up push program that I saw on ************* it helped a bit I think I'm going to try that Recon Ron one I keep hearing about it

Honcho1010
06-26-11, 09:10 AM

For me its:

Yoga once per week.

My main goal is a better 1.5 and 3 mile times of course. Anything really good weight based workouts that will help my run?

Also, i don't really have any true goals on my bench. I simply want to be stronger. My max is 165 right now and i want to increase that. Also, what besides pull ups will help with my pull ups the most?

Gray4
06-26-11, 09:31 AM
I have a series of workouts that i mix up the order i do them every week.

chest/tris

db bench 5x5
Incline db bench 5x5
decline bench 5x5
cross over
peck deck

Tris
sc
jm press
rope
tri extensions

Shoulder/ traps
Arnolds 5x5
one arm press 5x5
shoulder press 5x5
front rises 5x5
rockys 5x5

Traps
db shrug 5x5
behind back shrug 5x5
up right row 5x5
db up right row 5x5
laterial 5x5

Back/lats

Row machine 5x5
seated cable row 5x5
lb row 5x5
One arm row 5x5
cable rear delts 5x5
rear delt machine 5x5

wide grip lat pull down 5x5
close grip lat pull down 5x5
behind the head pull down 5x5
pull ups 5x5

legs

Squats 5x5
dead lifts 5x5
lunges 5x5
box squat 5x5
leg press 5x5
calves 5x5
leg press 5x5

Bis
21's
17's
con. curls
cable hammer curls
zottman curls
alternate curls

================================================== =====

-----Cardio everyday------

3 mile
10x100m 5x 200 m 2 x400m sprints
bike 20 min
elypical 20min
burpes 5x10
mountain climbers 2 minutes
push ups 200
crunches 200
M W F- 2 mile hike with 100 pounds of sand in my ruck sack

================================================== ======

MunkyVsRobot
06-26-11, 01:35 PM
I dont know if you guys are thinking you need to be the Terminator when you show up to boot but you don't really have to be. Sure I am in the same boat as the rest of you as I haven't been to the Island yet but the program is meant to take someone doing the bare minimum of 2 pull ups 44 crunches in 2 min and someone doing a 13:30 1.5 and turn them into a Marine.

If you are presently passing the IST i wouldnt worry too much about how you are going to fare when you go to MCRD.

I am also wondering out loud when I see some of the people here who are saying they run 137 miles a day can bust out 5000 pull ups ETC. Its nice to see people Moto and all but I wonder sometimes.

Ill be honest I very rarely weight lift it may change once i become a Marine but I dont intend to start too much now. I may work with some dumbells so I can practice for the CFT but whats the point?

My arms are pretty strong I am an Auto Mechanic and ive done kickboxing and mma stuff like that I am a lean type of muscle which i like. All my muscle comes from doing like Dynamic Tension work outs and working out with my natural body weight.

Lean Muscle you can keep a lot of speed on you and you dont have to up keep it as much, bulk muscle on the other hand you are kind of a slave to your own body it makes you a bit slower (not always but more often than not it does) and you have to upkeep upkeep upkeep. If you dont it all turns into fat, anyone see Arnold lately?

TWDP
06-26-11, 02:19 PM
I dont know if you guys are thinking you need to be the Terminator when you show up to boot but you don't really have to be. Sure I am in the same boat as the rest of you as I haven't been to the Island yet but the program is meant to take someone doing the bare minimum of 2 pull ups 44 crunches in 2 min and someone doing a 13:30 1.5 and turn them into a Marine.

If you are presently passing the IST i wouldnt worry too much about how you are going to fare when you go to MCRD.

I am also wondering out loud when I see some of the people here who are saying they run 137 miles a day can bust out 5000 pull ups ETC. Its nice to see people Moto and all but I wonder sometimes.

Ill be honest I very rarely weight lift it may change once i become a Marine but I dont intend to start too much now. I may work with some dumbells so I can practice for the CFT but whats the point?

My arms are pretty strong I am an Auto Mechanic and ive done kickboxing and mma stuff like that I am a lean type of muscle which i like. All my muscle comes from doing like Dynamic Tension work outs and working out with my natural body weight.

Lean Muscle you can keep a lot of speed on you and you dont have to up keep it as much, bulk muscle on the other hand you are kind of a slave to your own body it makes you a bit slower (not always but more often than not it does) and you have to upkeep upkeep upkeep. If you dont it all turns into fat, anyone see Arnold lately?
Well I don't really see any problem in someone striving for a good PFT before they even have to take it. I guess it's all a matter of opinion though. If you want to go into MCRD doing a little better than the bare minimum then that is your problem, but I can guarantee you will have a lot harder time then the guy who has been working on a perfect PFT before he even got there.
I'm not saying lift weights as I rarely do that. I only run and do body weight exercises like what we will be doing in the Marine Corps

But this is just my opinion on the matter.

Tbrown10
06-26-11, 03:34 PM
any of you guys got any tips to break the 10 minute barrier on the 1.5 mile? the best ive been able to get is a 10:55 and really want to hit the 9's before i go lol

TWDP
06-26-11, 03:44 PM
any of you guys got any tips to break the 10 minute barrier on the 1.5 mile? the best ive been able to get is a 10:55 and really want to hit the 9's before i go lol
What I did was I would do the 1.5 at the same pace I would normally do it but start sprinting for two minutes every two minutes so you go 2 minutes at your normal 10:55 pace but then for two minutes 10 mph then go back down to your normal pace for two more minutes then 10mph again for two more then finish it off at your normal pace.

Then just every week or so decrease the amount of normal running you do and increase the sprinting. Like if you do as I described for two weeks then for the next two weeks do one minute at your 10:55 pace then two minutes at 10 mph

I did that until I was able to do it in 9 minutes without it killing me and it only took about a month.

BIGdreams
06-26-11, 04:03 PM

When I first DEPed in I had a 9:15 with little practice but then again I'm 6'3 so my long legs has a lot to do with it. I went way up to 10:00 now that I haven't PTed since November...

Either way I always find that people try to go too fast in the beginning and they don't pace themselves and wait until their heart rate goes up. Long distance running for a reasonably healthy person comes down to the heart rather than the leg muscles. My advice would be to find a speed that you can run at almost indefinitely and then run a little bit faster for as long as possible. Time yourself and try to go a little faster every few days.

Also make sure you have good form and find a breathing pattern that works for you. Lastly, wait until your heat rate is up before you speed up. Raise your speed gradually and remember to pace yourself (I said it twice cause it's important).

MunkyVsRobot
06-26-11, 05:58 PM

lol other than to say keep running cant say theres too much more advice to give. My recommendation is set a good pace for yourself in the run and save enough in the tank to sprint it out the last few hundred meters to half mile if you can.

I went from a 13:35 runtime down to 11:20 in less than a months time, sure its over the 10 mark but id say taking 2 minutes and 15 seconds off in a month is pretty *****in, not also to include i am an old ass man ;).

Honcho1010
06-27-11, 09:20 AM
Thats true, all you can do is run. Save enough energy to really push that last half mile and youll drop time easy.

So i did P90X Ab Ripper last night, one hell of a workout. Felt great, never felt a burn like that. Im still on my bench doing basic curls and bench press.

also, muscle does not turn into fat. People stop working out, while eating the same, which ultimately, turns them into fat-bodies.