PDA

View Full Version : Man, you know...I miss the Corps a little!

AlohaMarine
06-24-11, 07:13 AM
PSYCHE!

Man this is great! No one is yelling at me, my hair is long, I shave every 3 or 5 days.

No one told me the best part about being a Marine would be being a Former Marine.

Today marks 1 month since I've EAS'd. ITS SOOO SWEEEETTT

Edit: Mad love homies.

ssgtblue
06-24-11, 07:27 AM
Its funny. I had to leave the Marine Corps to become an even better gun fighter for work. Interesting. The civilian word is ok at times, but I will miss the Libo in some parts of the world. You can fill in the blank on that one.

Marine84
06-24-11, 12:29 PM
LOL! Wait til you're around nothing but civilians for a bit.

Old Marine
06-24-11, 12:52 PM
PSYCHE!

Man this is great! No one is yelling at me, my hair is long, I shave every 3 or 5 days.

No one told me the best part about being a Marine would be being a Former Marine.

Thats great. I am sure that the Marine Corps is much better off and things have gotten better for the Corps in the last month.

A couple of the listed things are nothing but signs of lazyness. The reality of things are that there will be someone telling you what to do until the day you buy it.

Now you can tell sea stories to all the kiddies in school.

TheReservist
06-24-11, 02:01 PM
While there may always be a boss, 99% of bosses can't go into my personal life and tell me what to wear when I'm not at work / take a white glove to my apartment. Also, incompetent bosses (just like all workers) get fired, not "reassigned" or moved when they can't hack it.

Marine1011
06-24-11, 02:18 PM
In other words youre doing things the same as when you were in

boomer56328
06-24-11, 03:43 PM
I'll never really say I felt as strongly as you do, but there were things I was definately excited about not having to do when I got out. The longer your out though the more you will miss the brotherhood and fun things about being a Marine. No one misses the police calls or the field days. There are plenty of things you will miss though, at least that's my experience. On a personal note, after I got out I became a police officer and i'm still required to shave every day, cut my hair, and wear a uniform. Someday I will have a job that doesn't require all that. I tell you i'm going total ZZ Top. It's gonna be awesome!

Tennessee Top
06-24-11, 04:36 PM
PSYCHE!

Hope you're making plenty of friends in the unemployment line.

Tennessee Top
06-24-11, 04:52 PM
While there may always be a boss, 99% of bosses can't go into my personal life and tell me what to wear when I'm not at work / take a white glove to my apartment. Also, incompetent bosses (just like all workers) get fired, not "reassigned" or moved when they can't hack it.

Give me a break. You're a reservist...nobody is going into your personal life and telling you what to wear or inspecting your apartment. Marines are denied reenlistment all the time...if that's not being fired I don't know what is. I have been retired and working with civilians for awhile now and believe me, I have had more incompetent civilian bosses than I ever had in the Corps (and they continue to get promoted instead of fired). Civilian bosses are not taught anything about leadership traits and principles and couldn't lead a troop of girl scouts. Instead of mission accomplishment and the welfare of their troops/employees, all that matters to them is making a buck.

Kegler300
06-24-11, 04:55 PM
I loved the Corps when I was in...I love it more now that I'm retired!

Conch
06-24-11, 04:58 PM
PSYCHE!

Welcome back to the 1st Civ Division my Brother. :marine:

Glad your enjoying life again.

S/F
-Blake.

TheReservist
06-24-11, 05:24 PM
Give me a break. You're a reservist...nobody is going into your personal life and telling you what to wear or inspecting your apartment. Marines are denied reenlistment all the time...if that's not being fired I don't know what is. I have been retired and working with civilians for awhile now and believe me, I have had more incompetent civilian bosses than I ever had in the Corps (and they continue to get promoted instead of fired). Civilian bosses are not taught anything about leadership traits and principles and couldn't lead a troop of girl scouts. Instead of mission accomplishment and the welfare of their troops/employees, all that matters to them is making a buck.

Yeah, I was a reservist, I only spent 3 years of it active duty. They can only deny reenlistment to a certain grade, once they hit e-6 then it's till 20 and then they get fired. Maybe I've just come across a bad string of terminal Staff Sergeants.

AlohaMarine
06-24-11, 07:22 PM
Hope you're making plenty of friends in the unemployment line.

Get real, my wife has a career and the GI Bill pays me seventeen hundo a month to go to school full time and tell sea stories. I would be an idiot if I wanted a job, let alone did something stupid like get one.

chulaivet1966
06-24-11, 07:28 PM
Get real, my wife has a career and the GI Bill pays me seventeen hundo a month to go to school full time and tell sea stories. I would be an idiot if I wanted a job, let alone did something stupid like get one.

I'm checking my eyesight again....are you saying $1700.00 a month for GI bill?

DRB
06-24-11, 07:29 PM

This is so true.

AlohaMarine
06-24-11, 07:30 PM
Welcome back to the 1st Civ Division my Brother. :marine:

Glad your enjoying life again.

S/F
-Blake.

Thanks Blake. I don't hate the Corps by any means (As many of the Super Rockers here would have you believe) but I am sure as hell glad to be out...

wildwoman73
06-24-11, 07:51 PM
In other words youre doing things the same as when you were in
HAHAHAHA!!!! You so funnnayyy!!!

wildwoman73
06-24-11, 07:54 PM

Oh ya Top....this is the guy who likes his wife to support him.

wildwoman73
06-24-11, 08:03 PM
there were things I was definately excited about not having to do when I got out. The longer your out though the more you will miss the brotherhood and fun things about being a Marine. No one misses the police calls or the field days. There are plenty of things you will miss though, at least that's my experience.

Very true. My life is still just as chaotic but with USMC chaos, you KNEW where ever you HAD to be...they got you there provided you weren't a complete idiot. I miss getting paid to PT every day. The brotherhood...the gathering of Marine talking smack and laughing out loud with out hurting pea peckin' heart.

TheReservist
06-24-11, 09:33 PM

Post 9/11 GI bill pays BAH for the zip code of the school, along with paying the school. Depending on if it's a public school and also if it does the yellow ribbon program, you can pretty much get paid to go to school.

chulaivet1966
06-24-11, 09:56 PM
Post 9/11 GI bill pays BAH for the zip code of the school, along with paying the school. Depending on if it's a public school and also if it does the yellow ribbon program, you can pretty much get paid to go to school.

Funny...G.I. bill was $135.00 a month for me from 1971-76.
I still had to do odd jobs along with playing in a band just to survive.

Carry on....

Tennessee Top
06-25-11, 01:39 AM

Did the same thing when I punched out (went to school full-time on the GI Bill plus had my USMC pension). Didn't have a wife though...single college student:D

R Landry
06-25-11, 08:21 AM
Even though I was discharged from reserve duty the same month I graduated from college, I stayed involved with the US military all my civilian life. As a civilian architect, I worked for the Naval...

Phantom Blooper
06-25-11, 08:25 AM
Grass is always greener over the septic tank....:beer:

joseywales
06-25-11, 08:32 AM
i recall when aloha was geting out and lied to his friends about having been accepted into another branch, everyone was giving him congrats then he admitted he made it all up. quite a guy

Old Marine
06-25-11, 10:09 AM
Yep, there's a whole lo of Achpeds out there who lounge around the house most of the day while their wife/girlfriend is out working to feed these lazy individuals.

Vandrel
06-25-11, 10:13 AM
I would be an idiot if I wanted a job, let alone did something stupid like get one.

Make sure that's on your resume when you are done with school and need a job

School or no school, never good to have a giant gap in work experience when applying for a job. No employer is going to call your professors to ask what kind of a employee you were.

stretchusa
06-25-11, 10:25 AM
Make sure that's on your resume when you are done with school and need a job

School or no school, never good to have a giant gap in work experience when applying for a job. No employer is going to call your professors to ask what kind of a employee you were.

Myth, if the gap is caused by school or any other legit reason(such as a sickness in the family) it is not a problem.

Vandrel
06-25-11, 10:29 AM
Myth, if the gap is caused by school or any other legit reason(such as a sickness in the family) it is not a problem.

Not really a myth. Employers need people to contact to confirm what kind of a worker/employee the applicant would be. If the applicant hasn't worked in many years you can bet it may be a negative factor compared to the resume of another applicant who has recent work experience and both are applying for the same job. That's not to say that it's always the case and will always be a negative blip in comparison but having recent work experience with little to no gap in employment is always a plus.

Swampfox
06-25-11, 10:57 AM
Not really a myth. Employers need people to contact to confirm what kind of a worker/employee the applicant would be. If the applicant hasn't worked in many years you can bet it may be a negative factor compared to the resume of another applicant who has recent work experience and both are applying for the same job. That's not to say that it's always the case and will always be a negative blip in comparison but having recent work experience with little to no gap in employment is always a plus.

If you're considering college to be an employment gap then wouldn't military service fall under the same category? A civilian company is rarely gonna call a Marines SNCOIC to find out how good of a Marine he/she was just like they're not gonna call a college proffesor to find out how good of a student they were. At least that was the case when I got out in '92. Of course that was before the time of mass cell phones and other media.

Marine1011
06-25-11, 11:05 AM
any gap will be looked at by a prospective employer. Why wouldn't it be looked at?
does anyone think he or she will say oh a giant gap in his life, must be that he was doing something constructive, I won't even ask him about it
Myth? nope, stretchusa. not at all

Zulu 36
06-25-11, 11:35 AM
If one is attending college full-time, particularly if immediately after honorable military service, that will not be viewed as an employment gap.

stretchusa
06-25-11, 11:48 AM
any gap will be looked at by a prospective employer. Why wouldn't it be looked at?
does anyone think he or she will say oh a giant gap in his life, must be that he was doing something constructive, I won't even ask him about it
Myth? nope, stretchusa. not at all
Please reread my post, I never said that it is not going to be asked about. It is a myth that having a employment gap is harmful to you. Especially if it is reasonable, or covered in your CV like college would.

Conch
06-25-11, 12:23 PM
Thanks Blake. I don't hate the Corps by any means (As many of the Super Rockers here would have you believe) but I am sure as hell glad to be out...

:thumbup:

jp2usmc
06-25-11, 12:37 PM
After the Gulf War cease fire, I was not offered re-enlistment. I was told it was because I had NJP for drinking underage at one of Camp LeJune's beer gardens while attending Engineering School.

I grew my hair out when I got out and went to school.

http://www.poojo.com/photos/misc/JOE_4.jpg

Today, nearly 20 years later, I wear a Marine Corps regulation haircut ...but I only visit the barber every 2 months instead of every 2 weeks!

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MIKUIk7-Oaw/TbbTqBmAjCI/AAAAAAAACh8/ZSSm0ucp36w/s640/JoeMaxEaster2011.jpg

Warbyrd13
06-25-11, 11:00 PM
Oh ya Top....this is the guy who likes his wife to support him.

If my gf ends up making more money than me and we can live with comfort then i will stay home. But I swear this guy just posts stuff to get people all pi$$ed off so he can have a good laugh with a few friends.

But I was raised a certain so its my duty to take care of my Gf, the new baby boy an my kids so I will work an make sure we have enough money to pay our bills n take care of stuff. Or at least until her or I win the Lotto...j/k

USMC-SSGT
06-27-11, 08:35 AM
I miss the Corps. It was the one job I can truly say I was great at and recognized and rewarded hard work. I still run and stay in shape and shave daily. Haircuts have cut down to biweekly and are now between a med and high reg.

My current job is seniority based. No matter what you do or how hard you work your pay and progression are reliant on years of service and how stagnant or not your seniority list is.

I'm only out because my current job makes it cost prohibitive to go back and with the op tempo my wife and family spends a lot more time together.

rktect3j
06-27-11, 05:35 PM
Also, incompetent bosses (just like all workers) get fired, not "reassigned" or moved when they can't hack it.

Bwa ha ha.

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Warbyrd13
06-27-11, 07:31 PM
Bwa ha ha.

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Man I want to work where he works.

cpllevi
07-03-11, 04:01 PM
You've been out what, 2 months now....Give it another 10 months and it'll start setting in. You'll start getting the occasional memory of the good times and start noticing how civilians just don't understand life the same way. And it's all downhill from there.

We've all been there and we all know.

Oh and btw, my EKMS SSgt was denied reenlistment. So E-6 ain't safe.

Tennessee Top
07-03-11, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I was a reservist, I only spent 3 years of it active duty. They can only deny reenlistment to a certain grade, once they hit e-6 then it's till 20 and then they get fired. Maybe I've just come across a bad string of terminal Staff Sergeants.

You and I were in a different Marine Corps. I know of plenty SNCO's who had families and were expecting to stay for a career but were told to seek employment elsewhere (for various reasons). In the Marine Corps I served a career in, any rank could be denied reenlistment at any time and frequently were.

Of course, you were on active duty for a whopping 3 years and, being junior enlisted, I'm sure you knew a sh$tload of SNCO's. I was in for 22.6 years and probably knew two or three more than you.

It's not that you maybe came across a bad string of terminal Staff Sergeants...on this particular subject, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Zulu 36
07-03-11, 05:52 PM
You and I were in a different Marine Corps. I know of plenty SNCO's who had families and were expecting to stay for a career but were told to seek employment elsewhere (for various reasons). In the Marine Corps I served a career in, any rank could be denied reenlistment at any time and frequently were.

Of course, you were on active duty for a whopping 3 years and, being junior enlisted, I'm sure you knew a sh$tload of SNCO's. I was in for 22.6 years and probably knew two or three more than you.

It's not that you maybe came across a bad string of terminal Staff Sergeants...on this particular subject, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Top, you came into the Corps a year after I did and probably remember the big weight control push in 1976-77. I knew a Master Sergeant who was kicked out, administratively, for failing meet weight control standards after a couple of trips through the program. He had 18-years in and lost his retirement because he really didn't believe they would kick him out that close to the end of his career.

I know of other senior SNCOs who got the ax too either through admin action or reenlistment denials. Needless to say, overweight SNCOs and officers got really serious about losing weight.

BGW
07-03-11, 07:00 PM
I dont know why Marines try to scare other Marines about leaving the Corps. **** about how they will never find a job, or how it wont ever be as good as it was in the Corps. Or give it a year and they will start hating the civilian life. I am glad that I joined but I wouldnt be able to make a career out of this, five years will be enough. And I wont stay in the Marine Corps over some kind of fear that I wont ever make it in the civilian world because of the current economic situation, or something like that.

Tennessee Top
07-03-11, 09:21 PM
I dont know why Marines try to scare other Marines about leaving the Corps. **** about how they will never find a job, or how it wont ever be as good as it was in the Corps. Or give it a year and they will start hating the civilian life. I am glad that I joined but I wouldnt be able to make a career out of this, five years will be enough. And I wont stay in the Marine Corps over some kind of fear that I wont ever make it in the civilian world because of the current economic situation, or something like that.

I agree with your point BGW. Marines have many of the qualities employers are looking for today. And, we all know Marines lead a spartan life. It's even doubly tough on someone with a family. Serving a career in the USMC is defenitely not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with changing occupations.

In my own personal experience, I punched out, went back to school on the old GI Bill, finished my degree in medicine, had 5 job offers before graduation, accepted my current position, and came to work the same week I graduated. That was 13 years ago; I've been promoted on time and never been laid off or missed a days work since (was even named the medical center's employee of the month twice). So, yes, it can be done in this economy.

However, you cannot deny, it's common to see posts on here from people who got out and, for whatever reason, regret that decision and are trying their best to get back in (with limited if any success). The grass is not always greener on the other side (as many want to believe); some find that out the hard way.

TunTvrnWarrior
07-03-11, 11:17 PM

WORD....

E4B0861
07-05-11, 10:10 PM
I've been out for a little over a year now, though not exactly by my own choice. (Honorable discharge via adsep for condition, not a disability yadda yadda.) I miss the hell out of it and would go...

BGW
07-06-11, 03:53 AM
Isn't it great though? Coming into the civilian sector with your Marine Corps experiences that you have accumulated over the years, having to deal with a lot of bull **** and on top you endured the incredible extra amount of time you had to work. By now you should have a real good understanding of taking responsibility for your own success. This kind of stuff is supposed to separate you from the rest.

Still don't see how Marines get so upset over how civilians act, like you're all ****ing surprised. Your suppose to be better and see the bigger picture instead of these people. Besides aren't you suppose to set the standards some way or another, you know that cute little Marine Corps saying; you know the, "leave by example?"

Maybe when you EAS out of the Corps you also leave everything about yourself as a Marine too? Becoming just another civilian? I hope that's not the case.

Wow I sound like a motard now, I blame you all for this.

E4B0861
07-06-11, 08:07 AM
Isn't it great though? Coming into the civilian sector with your Marine Corps experiences that you have accumulated over the years, having to deal with a lot of bull **** and on top you endured the incredible extra amount of time you had to work. By now you should have a real good understanding of taking responsibility for your own success. This kind of stuff is supposed to separate you from the rest.

Still don't see how Marines get so upset over how civilians act, like you're all ****ing surprised. Your suppose to be better and see the bigger picture instead of these people. Besides aren't you suppose to set the standards some way or another, you know that cute little Marine Corps saying; you know the, "leave by example?"

Maybe when you EAS out of the Corps you also leave everything about yourself as a Marine too? Becoming just another civilian? I hope that's not the case.

Wow I sound like a motard now, I blame you all for this.

Hahaha. True that.

I don't think it's getting upset over them so much as it is a grinding irritation.

I think you mean "lead by example"? It is true, though. It's all you really can do.

DrZ
07-06-11, 09:15 AM
Every person handles leaving the Corps differently. I spent my 8+ years...and decided to get out as a SSgt on the Gunny list. It was what I wanted to do. I did go to school but also worked a full time job and had a full time family. Part of what I wanted to do. The civilian world was pretty damn hard on me. I didn't like the scuzzy civilians nor the liberal professors spouting crap about the military when they had spent their entire lives in academia.

I grew my hair out...grew my beard out (big time...go check the albums!)...and did my best to fit in and not take out the first idiot who p!ssed me off.

Do what you want to do but always remember what you were taught in boot.... you can accomplish ANYTHING with NOTHING if you put your mind to it.

Overtime, you will find you miss the Corps more and more. There will be many things that p!ssed you off while in....and those, strangely, will be the things you miss the most!

Good luck to you.

jp2usmc
07-06-11, 09:41 AM
That's good stuff for the most part, DrZ.

Things I don't miss: I don't miss policing someone else's cigarette butts or having some dipsheat Sgt that lived off base come through once a week to inspect my rack.

Tennessee Top
07-06-11, 05:09 PM
Go to the Chesty's Hooch forum and read what WJason just posted about getting out.

According to him, civilian life sucks and getting out was the biggest mistake he's made. Now, he's trying like hell to get back in (and not having much success).

Posts like this are common. You all can rag on the USMC all you want to and think how great civilian life is going to be. I'm just telling you...be careful what you wish for cause you may just get it! You just may discover that being a civilian is not what it's cracked up to be.

I was a career Marine for 22.6 years and been a civilian now for 15. I know coming from a "lifer" this doesn't mean much to most of you. But, I can truthfully say I enjoyed being a Marine a helluva lot more than I enjoy being a civilian. Anybody can be a dang civilian but only a few can be a Marine. I would put that uniform back on in a heartbeat if they would let me (and I could fit in it).

Old Marine
07-06-11, 05:31 PM
I have been out here in this cluster fvk civilian dis-organization for 38 years now and it really hasn't gotten any better since the day I retired. They say that it always gets worse before it gets better, but it just seems to be getting worse and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. At least in the military you are guaranteed a paycheck. Out here in the cruel world you don't know from day to day if you will have a job.

jp2usmc
07-07-11, 08:19 AM
--- Old Marine wrote:
> At least in the military you are guaranteed a paycheck.

Not to play Devil's Advocate here, but that's also one of the negative points about military life. There were lots of people that I served with who obviously were too lazy to hold down or work for a civilian job.

Blood sucking leaches, we called them.

SSgtRSD
07-07-11, 08:31 AM
Gents, anyone can argue that there are negative aspects to life in the Corps. The truth is you are going to have your 10% where ever you go in life. It has been my experience that in the civilian world that it's more like the 30%, and I am a police officer. There is not a single person here that did not leave the Corps having gained skills or experiences that will have benefited them once they left. Some may have left with bumps and bruises or worse, but in the case of the OP, he's just running his mouth in an attempt to get a reaction out of those who do care about the Corps. So, congratulations Aloha, you have proved there are still former Marines who love the Corps, and That you are loving life in 1st Civ Div. Great, now stop being an *******.

E4B0861
07-07-11, 08:42 AM
Gents, anyone can argue that there are negative aspects to life in the Corps. The truth is you are going to have your 10% where ever you go in life. It has been my experience that in the civilian world that it's more like the 30%, and I am a police officer. There is not a single person here that did not leave the Corps having gained skills or experiences that will have benefited them once they left. Some may have left with bumps and bruises or worse, but in the case of the OP, he's just running his mouth in an attempt to get a reaction out of those who do care about the Corps. So, congratulations Aloha, you have proved there are still former Marines who love the Corps, and That you are loving life in 1st Civ Div. Great, now stop being an *******.

QFMFT.

rwest158497
07-09-11, 03:20 AM
I Miss The Corps Sometimes.....i Would Never Trade The Years I Spent In... My Present Job And The Other 2 Ive Held Since Getting Out In 1987 Were All Possible Because The People Who Hired Me Did So Because I Am A Marine. Employers Can Tell A **** Bag From A Squared Away Individual Any Time. The Marine Corps Always Pops Into My Mind During All Kinds Of Work Situations. There Have Been Times In My Life When Ive Wanted To Quit Something Because It Was To Hard Or To This Or That But Then I Remember My Di Telling Me Way Back When That Marines Never Quit!!!! Semper Fi My Brothers And Sisters... The Corps Will Always Be A Part Of Our Lifes... It Is Who We Are, The Few The Proud... The Marines

AlohaMarine
07-10-11, 05:55 AM

Post 9/11 GI bill pays tuition in full, 1000$ a year for books and BAH at the E5 rate. Where I'm at that is $1650 a month, and tuition is already taken care of. I make more going to school than I did as a lance corporal! Get a job? Ha!

AlohaMarine
07-10-11, 06:05 AM
Just to make a point, I've been on a road trip for over a week. I've driven from Florida to NYC. I spent the 4th of july on river st in savannah, I went along the smoky and blue ridge mountains, spent some time in atlantic city, hoboken, nj, drove around manhatten (traffic was insane, those cab drivers are ruthless) I EVEN VISITED PARRIS ISLAND!!!! That was really neat. I'm still on the road which is why I'm on my phone and can't reply to a lot of the nonsense in this thread, I don't have internet on my pc. Anyway, my point is there is no way I could go on an open ended road trip visiting family all over the country while on active duty. I never got 30 days of leave and after flying 5000 miles who wants to drive cross country in someone elses car with a deadline? Its not so much the idiocy that I don't miss but the freedom that I have now. So what if I don't have a paycheck? I'm not living in barracks with low life scum from the hood anymore watching my intelligence level deplete to a negative. This is great and anyone who doesn't think so just hasn't experienced it.

03Foxtrot
07-10-11, 10:12 AM
Having read and absorbed much of what this particular forum member and author of this thread has written on this site, it is apparent to me that most of what has been penned by him, has been in jest,...

DRB
07-10-11, 10:35 AM
I was not a Marine. I was a Soldier. I experienced some things in the Army I did not like. I too had some very poor leaders and some very bad comrades who I guess you could consider white trash and thugs from the hood. I also had some good leaders and met some great men. I have yet to meet such leaders and quality people here in the civilian world and I have been out for 17 years. I currently work at a Union Mission thinking I was going to meet good Christian people of character. I was wrong. They lie, cheat, and steal. Our boss is a preacher. I never met a more unqualified leader. He has no character, class, or common sense. He shows no love for his fellow man. He is the worst leader and preacher I have ever met. In a meeting he even "dug at himself" in my presence. What a man of God. I'm happy that I served my nation and proud of what I accomplished in the short time I was in the Army. I developed a work ethic that I had lacked. I have a drive that is matched on by a few and exceeded by even less than that. The things I despised made me appreciate the good things even more. I still keep in touch with several whom I served with and went into battle with. We suffered and grew together. We had very little food and water. We went a week on three hours of sleep. We suffered through the horrors of battle together and saw things we will never forget. We made history together and I'll never forget that.

jp2usmc
07-10-11, 12:14 PM
@03Foxtrot: Sometimes I wonder how our nation could be on such a powerful awakening while our military was focused so diligently to duty. It produced a tremendous rift among the people of the U.S..

I'm sure there was good and bad on each side, and each side was focusing on the bad of the other.

It was embarrassing in my eyes (born in '69) to have seen our Vietnam Veterans ignored as I entered my teenage years in the 80s. It was also why I was personally so eager to join my beloved Marine Corps. Today, I see the situations that government and upper military placed young fighting Americans in. I still respect the men and women serving in our armed forces, but not so much the brain washed upper echelon.

I don't know what the right answers were back then, but I know the United States as a whole did not choose well.