PDA

View Full Version : What to do after findings?

lance0206
06-24-11, 01:13 AM
My findings came back.I was just curious if I had to do something on my part to get my pay started or does it start auto.?
Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 08:25 AM
It should start within 2 weeks I believe.... What were you rated? How long did it take from start to finish?

Riven37
06-24-11, 09:28 AM
You don't sound too pleased.

My findings came back.I was just curious if I had to do something on my part to get my pay started or does it start auto.?
Thanks

doc h fmf
06-24-11, 09:58 AM
Lance Please Fill Out Your Profile So We Know Who We Are Talking To.

Thank You And Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

lance0206
06-24-11, 03:35 PM
It should start within 2 weeks I believe.... What were you rated? How long did it take from start to finish?

I was rated at 60% from the VA and 50% from DOD which they gave me the 60%. I was told I had to actually call the VA once I got my DD214(currently home awaiting order status) and actually have my pay started...My board originaly took about a year for everything to get processed from the time I got MEDEVACd to the time I got my findings back..

lance0206
06-24-11, 03:38 PM
Lance Please Fill Out Your Profile So We Know Who We Are Talking To.

Thank You And Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Done!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 06:57 PM
Ahhh, ok. So, are you now medically retired? And awaiting the final decision? Or the beginning of your VA pay? Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure out your timeline.

Thanks for the profile, I should have caught that one earlier.

thefedgotme
06-25-11, 08:55 AM
It sounds like Lance is part of a new breed of VA claim...the DES...it used to be that seriously wounded active duty memebers could not get VA benefits until after the MEB/PEB was concluded and a 214...

lance0206
06-25-11, 02:56 PM
Ahhh, ok. So, are you now medically retired? And awaiting the final decision? Or the beginning of your VA pay? Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure out your timeline.

Thanks for the profile, I should have caught that one earlier.

I got the final decision and am currentley checking out of the corps to start my "Home awaiting orders" till they change my EAS in the system and send my DD214 by mail. Then the VA pay will start.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-11, 05:34 PM
OUTstanding. So you'll continue to be drawing full pay and bennies while you wait on the VA to kick in. Once they 'retire' you, then the BAH/BAS will stop and you'll revert to just your base pay. However, hopefully, by then, the VA 60 percent will kick in. IF you have a wife, add some to that. Kid(s)? Add some more. Good thing is VA is tax free. 60 percent with a wife and kid is 1129 a month.

lance0206
06-25-11, 11:31 PM
OUTstanding. So you'll continue to be drawing full pay and bennies while you wait on the VA to kick in. Once they 'retire' you, then the BAH/BAS will stop and you'll revert to just your base pay. However, hopefully, by then, the VA 60 percent will kick in. IF you have a wife, add some to that. Kid(s)? Add some more. Good thing is VA is tax free. 60 percent with a wife and kid is 1129 a month.

Exactley wife and kids but do I have to send my paperwork in for the VA pay to start or is it automatic?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-11, 11:34 PM
It should be automatic after a certain period of time...I'm just not sure what that time period is after you are rated by them since you are still technically on active duty. It may be as little as 2 weeks or as much as 30 days...or may not start until you are 'done' active duty. I just don't know for sure. What 'paperwork' do you have that you would have to send if they've already rated you??

thefedgotme
06-28-11, 10:23 AM
It doesnt start until he's fully released from active duty. There will be an offset initially due to the receipt of retired pay. If you VA comp is greater than retired pay, they will withhold the...

Sgt Leprechaun
06-29-11, 10:25 PM
And there you have it, from the EXPERT and not me LOL.