PDA

View Full Version : Wannbe Waiver Idea's

ndurst
06-23-11, 08:41 PM
Hi, I know I'm new here and you have forum rules, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a few pointers.

Yes the dreaded "I have asthma thread" I know you have seen this threads more and more but I still have a few question's.

I've talked to a recruiter told him my situation now I know the latest you can have a asthma attack is before your 13th birthday. This being said I do not remember my last asthma attack and am currently working on getting my paper work. I currently have a doctors note stating that I no longer have asthma, and I'm working on scheduling a Pulmonary Function Test.

Before the negative comments come along and at me, I have a doctors note stating I no longer have asthma and that it was mild childhood asthma that was during the spring and fall. I'm working on scheduling a Pulmonary Function test and possibly a Methacholine challenge test as well.

I guess it's not a question but more of a suggestion thread do you think by getting additional letters say from a football coach or wrestling coach stating that I never had any kind of breathing conditions while playing for them. I know you guys aren't the MEPS doctors and cant answer and be 100% postive I just wonder if doing this or anything else I'm missing will help better my chance of getting a waiver through MEPS.

Thanks for reading and help.

Nick

Phantom Blooper
06-23-11, 08:56 PM
I am not in the here and now of the Marine Corps recruiting....there are a few recruiters that check in every once in awhile that may answer this....

But I would think since it is a medical issue MEPS would only accept documentation from other medical personnel or test results (PFT) from the same.

As far as coach's go....they would be good....maybe...if you were trying for a waiver of criminal or miscreant behavior....as a character reference on your character and your new leaf life.

So basically what I'm saying is the coach idea is good idea but not for medical waivers.

If you are accepted and need a security clearance your coach's would be a good reference.

Good luck...

ndurst
06-23-11, 09:24 PM
That makes since, my thought process behind doing this is basically if they have any concerns as of late I guess. I know it's not medical related but maybe if it helps some thats better then none. The thing I'm most worried about is the actual date of the asthma ending. I hope that the symptons have deminished before hand if not guess I'll give it hell in the civilian lifestyle.
Thanks for the reply.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 09:31 PM
Not a doc or a recruiter and never worked at MEPS so can't answer your questions.

I am a respiratory therapist at a teaching hospital and do deal with asthmatics on a regular basis however (Knoxville has been rated the #1 city in the nation for allergy symptoms). I know some asthma attacks can be triggered by an allergy or physical exertion (like the kind you'll experience at bootcamp). So, letters from coaches stating physical exertion does not cause you to have an attack would be beneficial I would think. When you're trying to prove a case to a decsion maker, it is impossible to have too much documentation on your side.

Good luck to you and let us know how your case works out (good or bad) so someone in the future with a similar situation can do a search on the topic.

ndurst
06-23-11, 09:45 PM
Okay this is defintly a none experienced question that I don't think you'll be able to answer but has anyone that has gotten a waiver tried to get a interview with a meps doctor before hand? I'm just trying to go about this at all the angle's.

Tennessee Top
06-23-11, 10:56 PM
Okay this is defintly a none experienced question that I don't think you'll be able to answer but has anyone that has gotten a waiver tried to get a interview with a meps doctor before hand? I'm just trying to go about this at all the angle's.

MEPS docs are too busy to interview people wanting to know if they are medically qualified to enlist (or need a waiver). If they did that, there would not be any time left during their day to do their primary job...to see if applicants are medically qualified to enlist. There is no way around the system...you have to go through the system good or bad and then live with the results (like millions before you). The system is there for a reason.

ndurst
06-24-11, 12:16 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear but got the same answer reguardless I meant like a interview to have a one one chat not to see if I was disqualified. Sorry for the mix up.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 07:57 PM
No, ethically they can't see you unless you are there 'under contract' or whatever it is they call it when you go to MEPS. They won't even talk to you outside of that, basically they can't. You also have to remember they are going 'by the book' and they will NOT make the decision, your case will be kicked up the chain of command for a decision, it won't be made there or on that day.

yanacek
06-24-11, 08:12 PM
I currently have a doctors note stating that I no longer have asthma, and I'm working on scheduling a Pulmonary Function Test.

Before the negative comments come along and at me, I have a doctors note stating I no longer have asthma and that it was mild childhood asthma that was during the spring and fall. I'm working on scheduling a Pulmonary Function test and possibly a Methacholine challenge test as well.

Nick:

The decision on whether or not you are qualified will be based on the med letters you present indicating the age of your last asthmatic episode. If it can be documented it was before your 13th birthday, you should be good to go at the MEPS. Getting that med letter is critical.

As far as the Pulmonary Function test and the Methacholine challenge test, I hope you are not planning to have these performed by your doctor. If you are disqualified, a waiver package is submitted to BuMed. BuMed will look at it and then direct the MEPS to schedule these tests at no expense to you. I don't think MEPS or BuMed will accept these test results performed at the request of you or your physician--at least that's the way it was when I served as a MEPS Liaison.

ndurst
06-24-11, 08:37 PM
As far as the Pulmonary Function test and the Methacholine challenge test, I hope you are not planning to have these performed by your doctor. If you are disqualified, a waiver package is submitted to BuMed. BuMed will look at it and then direct the MEPS to schedule these tests at no expense to you. I don't think MEPS or BuMed will accept these test results performed at the request of you or your physician--at least that's the way it was when I served as a MEPS Liaison.[/quote]

This is literally the best news I heard all day, I've been on the phone litterally on and off all day trying to figure out procedure #'s and what not from hospitals, pulmonary facilites, medical centers etc, and since I haven't had any doctor visits my deductable is ZERO I'd have had to fork over all the money my self and the Pulmonary Function Test from what I've read and ask are very expensive.

Ok as of now I'm 19 turning twenty in a month, I have medical records going back to 2006 so I only need two years prior of no asthma attacks to be before my 13th birthday.

Now here my MAIN concern with this asthma ordeal. I never had any documentation til the 22nd of this month saying I no longer have asthma. Do they look at the syptoms/ medicane prescribed cause I've had a few issues with broncidus but only for a few days nothing major.

Thanks again for the replys they are giving me hope :thumbup:

yanacek
06-24-11, 09:01 PM
Now here my MAIN concern with this asthma ordeal. I never had any documentation til the 22nd of this month saying I no longer have asthma. Do they look at the syptoms/ medicane prescribed cause I've had a few issues with broncidus but only for a few days nothing major.

Thanks again for the replys they are giving me hope :thumbup:

First of all, don't give up hope--ever!

To get to your main concern, unfortunately the answer to your question is "yes." They will examine your med records in great detail. If they see the words "asthma" or "wheezing" since your 13th birthday you will be PDQ'ed. The MEPS Physician has no choice in this since his instructions (USMEPCOM 40-1) are very explicit. In addition, if you have been prescribed any medication associated with asthmatic symptoms since your 13th birthday, he has no choice but to PDQ you. If that were to happen, letters from your coach would certainly be useful in a BuMed waiver as well as a Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test score.

Where did you get the idea about getting a Pulmonary Function Test and/or Methachlorine Challenge Test?

ndurst
06-24-11, 09:11 PM
I've beens stessing over this so I have been doing as much research as I could on my own. I've seen post from people on the web saying they got PFT done before hand to help I didn't know that the military will pay for these test to be done.

I'm sure my boat is sunk no because whenever I had broncidous or or flem in my lungs during sports I would weez cause of being sick. All I can do is send in the paperwork and pray I guess.